Fried plantain question

The last few batches I've made came out a little dry. My cooking method is deep frying them in my Fry Daddy for five minutes till golden brown. I just watched a video of this girl pan frying them, and hers were crispy on the outside and gooey on the inside like custard (that's the way they always taste at the Chinese restaurant we go to). Is the Fry Daddy drying them out? I also use canola oil. Should I use a different oil?

Here's the video I referenced:

Don't know but try peanut oil? Good places fry batter fried fish and French fries in peanut oil. I fry them in a pan with a little sugar. Maybe do in your deep fryer for 2-3 minutes then in a frying pan or reverse? Maybe a dip in a batter? Maybe a fluffy egg white batter?

Last edited:
I made my plantains just like the girl in the video said to do it. They absolutely melted in your mouth!
[Linked Image]

Which oil you use doesn't matter, unless you prefer the taste of one over another. You barely even need any if using a non-stick skillet. To get them crunchy on the outside before dried in the middle, use a higher temperature, or bread them. You could also try thicker slices.

Last edited:
This is probably going in the opposite direction but my skinny wife doesn't like anything oily or custardy. (I would eat the above with relish)

Tostones are typically made with green plantains and you can get them at most PR and Cuban restaurants. More like fries, not sweet dessert.

I made tostones like this: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/16768/puerto-rican-tostones-fried-plantains/

Fried, BUT the second cook I did in the Air Fryer. So yes first step real fry, but easy, second fry in the Air fry at 400°F just until brown, not long. So easy a caveman could cook them.

They were REALLY good, NOT oily - my wife LOVED them and she hates plantains!! Dip in BBQ sauce, ketchup, mayo....

I've found that if you use a little EVOO when cooking plantains, they'll slide right out of your pan into the garbage can. :)
I hate the darn things.

Back