Akebono vs PowerStop Z23

I'm looking for some brake pads and the two that I am trying to decide between are the Akebono ProAct and the power stop z23 brake pads. They are both $40 on Rockauto. Does anyone have any experience between both pads and if so what would you recommend.

They are nothing special. If PosiQuiet Pros are available for your application, buy those....they are cheaper and perform comparably.

If they are going on a car or CUV, the Akebono would be the better of the two. For a heavier vehicle, like a full sized SUV or pickup, neither.

The pads are going to be for a 2007 4Runner and a 2007 expedition el, would the z36 be better for suvs, I heard that the Raybestos element 3 pads are also pretty good

I am sold on Akebon ProAct for my cars. But have never tried PowerStop. I don't have time or energy to try everything. Happy with Akebono and so I stick with it.

Can't go wrong with either........currently running the Powerstop's on the Jeep as we speak.
Pads fit like a glove, Bedded in nice and have a good, controllable feel to them when needed!

Not on your list but I would go with Raybestos element 3 pads, I've installed them on many cars and they are awesome pads and priced very well. From you list I would recommend Akebono ProAct.

I have Raybestos on my Jeep and they have been great so far with no dust. I will say I used to be a huge fan of Akebono, but after a few quality control issues I'm not the biggest proponent of them anymore. The pads I took off my father's Grand Cherokee that were only 2 years old fell apart in my hands, and I had clunking issues with them on my BMW, which is a well documented issue on the forums that Akebono has yet to correct. I replaced the Akebonos with PowerStop towing pads on dad's Jeep and they seem to be doing very well. I've used PowerStop on other vehicles with good luck.

Just ordered a set of the Raybestos element 3 pads, only $18 on Rockauto. Way cheaper than what I was looking for initially. Thanks to all

Another quick question, do you guys recommend bedding in every brake pad or is that just a power stop thing

Originally Posted by Ivan30
Another quick question, do you guys recommend bedding in every brake pad or is that just a power stop thing

I do it after every brake job. I find the pedal feels great afterward.

How are the raybestos pads with dust?

Brake dust hasn't been an issue for me with raybestos.

The pads are going to be for a 2007 4Runner and a 2007 expedition el, would the z36 be better for suvs, I heard that the Raybestos element 3 pads are also pretty good

Akebono will do fine on the 4Runner.
The Expedition EL is a heavy beast. I wouldn't use anything other than severe duty semi-metallic brake pads. Raybestos makes the Element 3 pads that are a ceramic/semi-metallic blend that appears to be a good application for heavy SUVs and trucks. I can't give you an experienced comment on them. I have used the Wagner Severe Duty and Motorcraft Super Duty and those are about the best pads that I have ever used.
The Power Stop brakes are a marketing genius but, there are much better options. I would pick the Element 3 over the Power Stop Z36 on any day. If you are changing rotors, stay with the OE style rotors. Don't buy those slotted and drilled garbage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mclasser

How do you bed in your brakes? Last few brake jobs that I did with Raybestos Element 3 I didn't bed mine in and they seem to work without any issues.

The Z36 are if you are towing/hauling a lot of weight. Not a bad pad.
The Raybestos element 3 pads are a good pad that still offers decent cold bite. I use them a lot with good results.

Another vote for the Element 3 EHT pads from Raybestos, I've installed probably close to 30 sets now, from a Kia Soul up to an F350, braking performance on all was reported as better than OE, always low low low dust and noise. They're my go-to pad replacing Akebono ACT in that role previously.

Originally Posted by diyjake
Originally Posted by mclasser

How do you bed in your brakes? Last few brake jobs that I did with Raybestos Element 3 I didn't bed mine in and they seem to work without any issues.

You just have to drive up to 45 mph then apply moderate brake pressure down to about 5 mph, do that 5 times then do 40 mph to 10 mph but a less aggressive stop, make sure that you don't come to a complete stop while you are doing this because it can cause uneven pad transfer and can feel like a warped rotor, after you finish the stops, drive around for about 5 minutes to cool down the rotors without coming to a complete stop if you are at a stop sign or light just throw it into neutral. Obviously, if something jumps in front of you then slam on those brakes and stop

You pretty much need to live in the country or do this in the middle of the night because you will [censored] off a lot of people doing it during the way on a city street and because of this I imagine most shops that do brake jobs don't bed in brakes.

Back