"Cleaned" Intake Valves

Al

2019 Subaru Crosstrek:
I used the CRC Intake Valve and Turbo Cleaner. A short piece of 3/8" tygon hose. Drilled a small hole through the cork and stuck it in the tubing. You want to use a short hose so it stays atomized.

Heated up the vehicle and using 1 or 2 second bursts while the wife kept it at around 2K rpm. Took about 15 Minutes+ to use the can. Serious smoke out the back. Directions are on the can.

When I was done I drove it hard. No smoke. Oh yea..it gave Two codes: Bank 1 and Bank 2 Fuel Rich. Cleared them

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited:
...the Tygon hose/cork can also be substituted by one of those rubber vacuum caps from AZ or HF. Drill a tiny hole for the straw and place it over the vacuum port to deploy. I do this on the silverado 6.2 DI.

Last edited:
Al how many miles are on it? Could you tell if there were any IVD's?

13K miles. Judging from the smoke there must have been deposits. I will to to my Forester XT this week. That has 16 K miles

It smoked because the cleaner contains 20-30% Diesel fuel. The codes came up because the CRC contains 30-40% gas too.

Not sure why a new car with only 13K miles requires this service.

Originally Posted by Zaedock
It smoked because the cleaner contains 20-30% Diesel fuel. The codes came up because the CRC contains 30-40% gas too.
Not sure why a new car with only 13K miles requires this service.

You might be right or you may not be. I will do it ever 10K miles. Its cheap enough.

Al, thanks for sharing this. I'd be curious to know if doing this as a maintenance regimen prevents intake valve buildup.

I know it's been on my mind with the direct injected VQ35DD in our 2019 Pathfinder. It's at ~32K miles and hasn't been touched in terms of intake cleanings. I've been doing 3000mi OCIs on it instead at this point because of the way it blackens it's motor oil.

Originally Posted by Dave9
^ So you just want to foul your cat and O2 sensors for the fun of it?

You probably worry a bit to much. I also cleaned my MAF..the engine will probably blow up.

JTK..I have no idea if I did any improvement to the valves honestly.

Last edited:
Smoke is all they sell at Seafoam. Used to be a fave entertainment in cab fleets: to 'clean' a cab right in front of one with a sleeping cabby at the backfield - the guy would wake up in panic to greet the cops who'd arrive right by then.

LOL
Best thing that CRC IVD. DI only really gets bad when it doesnt get darn hot to burn it off. Used PP 5w30 and PEA every oil change with good luck.

If your valves are carbon fouled at 13k, Subaru needs to re-engineer that engine. Any debris that might actually break off can then fly through the exhaust valve and crater your turbo impeller. Why would you do this on a turbo DI engine is beyond me.

Originally Posted by tcp71
If your valves are carbon fouled at 13k, Subaru needs to re-engineer that engine. Any debris that might actually break off can then fly through the exhaust valve and crater your turbo impeller. Why would you do this on a turbo DI engine is beyond me.

No turbo on the Crosstrek. Sure could benefit from one though as it only puts out 150hp.

Thanks for sharing this. I need to embark on a Hyundai 2.4 GDI intake cleaning. My cold starts have shown a bit of black smoke and it only has 11.2k on the odometer. We do mostly all city driving.

I'll check out some youtube videos on how, where and what to spray into.

I recently performed the CRC infusion on my 2018 Cruze (approx. 28000 mi.) in response to all of the dire warnings about the spectre of carbon accumulation in DI engines. Although I had no complaints with the car's performance and no issues with LSPI I was interested to note any difference post-treatment. After finally tracking down a can of the stuff (it is often sold out in my area in NYC) I followed the procedure on the can and emptied the last molecules of the cleaner into the intake hose immediately downstream of the MAF sensor. When used as directed the cleaner caused the engine, while turning at 2k rpms, to labor momentarily as it ingested the cleaner into the intake manifold but it never stalled and it produced little white smoke. The obligatory high speed drive after the hour heat soak was a bit of a shocker as the car seemed to perform with a vigor that I had not experienced before, and felt smoother and less labored doing so, and it quelled my idle to such a degree that several times I thought the car had shut down while waiting at the traffic light. Thankfully it did not trigger any codes on the IP. I may be deluded but I did not have expectations when I started, so I highly recommend this procedure.

Originally Posted by tbm5690
Originally Posted by tcp71

No turbo on the Crosstrek. Sure could benefit from one though as it only puts out 150hp.

Actually the '21 Crosstrek now has the 2.5 instead of the 2.0 That gives it an extra 30 HP.

And Subaru does tubo the FA20 engine. What makes you think it's a problem. Honda DI's their turbo.

CRC is designed to slowly clean the valves over 7 days of driving after the cleaning.

Chunks will not break off......this is why they state it's safe for turbos.

I also noticed this after using CRC......
I use it every 10k now.

I think it's stupid, not using it.

Such an easy solution to DI problems.

Originally Posted by nicholas
I also noticed this after using CRC......
I use it every 10k now.I think it's stupid, not using it.

Such an easy solution to DI problems.

Even if its not the solution its cheap and easy to do.

Back