2009 Jetta

Consumers Reports actually recommended that year Jetta when new. The 2.5L 5 cylinder engine and either auto or stick transmission is reliable. That engine has a large sump. Parts when and if needed are cheap on websites like ECS Tuning.com

I really don't much about the newer VW's.
But I had 3 in the past and every one has been junk.
If I was looking to replace one of my cars VW would not be considered.
And I must have been nuts to go through three of them before I woke up.
Same with Chrysler products.

My main concern would be the auto transmission. They can have valve body issues. The 2.5 is a reliable mill, assuming it has been maintained. Try to find a clean well maintained one, nice choice vs a Sentra, Corolla or similar.

Originally Posted by marine65

Wow a twofer! FCA and VW hate in one post. Hyundai Elantra's are good cars, especially with the, " Don't ask don't tell ", special Marine financing offered by the Navy Federal Credit Union.
05.gif

I took a quick look at it last night. It is a well maintained car with regular oil changes and transmission service records. The 2.5 feels like a strong motor.

The 2.5 is pretty good. If the car looks well cared for then it is probably reasonably reliable. I would count on a few little things going wrong here and there. For the right price it could be a deal.

i purposely chose my cpo 2013 passat s over a 2014 to get the 2.5 engine and the simplest trim. it has been great. i never understood the car pundits' hate of the 2.5 or even 2.slow n.a. engines. i enjoyed test drives in jettas with both those engines.

my 2013 passat is at 89k miles. a vw dealer did its 12 month/10k service last week: new rear brakes and cv joints were needed too. otherwise its been a loyal and decent driver. the key to succes with any german car is doing all proper maintenance on schedule.

a 2009 jetta with 135k miles in 11 years, a clean look-over and all maintenance done on schedule could be ok. if this jetta has a 2.5 it is a se trim, with more little things and electric gremlins to worry about. honestly speaking at 135k miles i would choose a more boring, plain and forgiving toyota corolla or yaris instead. however the more engaging jetta could be a teenager's useful teaching tool on car maintenance.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Originally Posted by marine65

Wow a twofer! FCA and VW hate in one post. Hyundai Elantra's are good cars, especially with the, " Don't ask don't tell ", special Marine financing offered by the Navy Federal Credit Union.
05.gif

I had older ones.
Maybe the recent ones are better cars.
But once,twice ,three times burned is a never again for me.

Originally Posted by iontrap
We were able to get the car for $1500, from my wife's coworker. It was a deal we couldn't pass up.

i think that you did well: low price, engaging drive, known prior owner, up to date maintainence, 12k miles per year.

Oh yeah smoking deal. Especially since it's been well maintained. It won't be a Corolla, but should be a good vehicle and is way more interesting.

Back