QSUD 5W-30 Noisy

Changed the Mobil1 EP 5W-30 with QSUD on my 2015 Tacoma V-6, and the engine is noisier, and there is a valve tapping on the driver's side. This was after a 2 hour trip in the engine.

Should I ignore it, or switch back to EP? The QSUD was cheap enough to where it won't kill me to drain it out.

possibly a dumb question here, but oil's all topped off and not running low?

i had the opposite experience with the 1GR 4.0 V6 in my '19 4runner. currently running QSUD, and it runs extremely quiet. i know you guys have an atkinson cycle V6 that's quite different from ours though.

Last edited:
Maybe your car likes a real (closer to real I should say) syn oil better
grin2.gif

I wouldn't change the oil now but next time go back to what you and your car like.

That's unusual. I have found QSUD to be quieter in all of my engines. If the oil level is good, I would just leave it be until the next oil change.

I run the 0/20w in my Silverado and it runs fine.

Threads like these are very hard to believe.

Originally Posted by walterjay
That's unusual. I have found QSUD to be quieter in all of my engines. If the oil level is good, I would just leave it be until the next oil change.

It's definitely quieter in our 2002 Honda minivan.
Originally Posted by ScottyB
possibly a dumb question here, but oil's all topped off and not running low?

i had the opposite experience with the 1GR 4.0 V6 in my '19 4runner. currently running QSUD, and it runs extremely quiet. i know you guys have an atkinson cycle V6 that's quite different from ours though.

Yes, I changed it one week ago with 5.5 quarts.

Did the filter get changed? If so, is it the brand of filter you usually use?

When I've had a noisy engine issue after an oil change, it's been the filter.

Originally Posted by CKN
I run the 0/20w in my Silverado and it runs fine.

Threads like these are very hard to believe.

You would be surprised that different oils can cause a large change in audible noises from an engine. Perfect example my lady's 98 Camry... Had Super S and Cam2 5w30 synthetic blend oils in there.. it was noticeably loud when I first put in that car... Next run put in Federated Auto parts synthetic blend aka Warren Distribution oil in there and when I started the car... Rather loud for a half second like it had been... The way, way quieter.. The same oil filter was left on from the previous run. It was quite a difference. You would have had to have been Helen Keller not to notice the very noticeable difference in how much quieter the Federated Auto parts oil was vs the others that were in there before.

did you shake the bottles an even or odd number of times before pouring it in?

left had or right hand?

there is a proper way to use QSUD that make it quiet,
smile.gif

Go over all your steps to make sure everything was secured properly. Engine cover and hood support rod for example.

Same here. It's the Mobil 1 that was always noisy in my engines.

This is the first post I've ever read where QSUD was noisy. It's one of those "legendary quiet" oils. I wonder if a sudden change in add pack chemistry caused the ticking? Maybe your engine was "used to" the M1 chemistry? It'll probably quiet right back up after it's been in your engine for awhile. This is just a hunch,so I may be completely wrong.

The old "my engine is noisier on oil B vs oil A" conversation is nothing but an irresovable bs-fest.

You know what they say about opinions.... everybody has one....

Originally Posted by Char Baby

Same here. It's the Mobil 1 that was always noisy in my engines.

10-4!

Originally Posted by JerryBob
Changed the Mobil1 EP 5W-30 with QSUD on my 2015 Tacoma V-6, and the engine is noisier, and there is a valve tapping on the driver's side. This was after a 2 hour trip in the engine.

Should I ignore it, or switch back to EP? The QSUD was cheap enough to where it won't kill me to drain it out.

Exact same oil filter used this time? If not, that may be the culprit.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Maybe your car likes a real (closer to real I should say) syn oil better
grin2.gif

I wouldn't change the oil now but next time go back to what you and your car like.

I just did a M1/Redline cocktail this past oci and its quiet. Its really hot too so its possible that any oil could be noisy OR you could be due for a valve lash adjusting. Hemi had ticks and found two noise issues. One was low quality fuel other was just needed a more robust oil. My guess...Its maybe not the oil.

Back