CRV oil filter

I've been buying my Toyota oil filters online for a while, usually $4 each, in a box of 10. Am getting a 2003 CRV this weekend and am thinking about stocking up on the usual stuff. I'm looking on Ebay and Amazon and it seems that filters for this run nearly $7 per. Is that the going rate for OEM filters in bulk?

I don't know how many miles this will get per year, probably 5-10k, and I'm apt to change on a 5k OCI, and to just do the filter each time--and quite frankly, $7 vs $4 is a non-issue to me. BUT in true BITOG fashion, is this just the way it is, or is there some dealership that will sell me a box of 10 for the same $40 and I just haven't found them yet?

[For the record, while I run aftermarket parts I tend to run OEM filters. A cabin filter is not that important, oil and air a bit more--but I'm unsold on some of the aftermarket claims as to "better" and "improved". So I just stick with "proven" OEM. I figure, it's gotta be in the middle spot between cheapo stuff and expensive stuff, in terms of both performance and cost, and that's where I tend to live.]

I bought a 30-pack from Bernadi for $139.50 shipped during the last Black Friday sale, but you had to buy 30 in order to receive this price.

Do these use the skinny or chubby oil filter ?

I might have some Gold colored PureOne chubby 14459 size oil filters left over.

I know the 2001-2005 Civic spec was the 14610 but allowed the 14459 size.

Originally Posted by The Critic
I bought a 30-pack from Bernadi for $139.50 shipped during the last Black Friday sale, but you had to buy 30 in order to receive this price.

Yeah, that might be a bit overkill for me. If I had a fleet, sure.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Do these use the skinny or chubby oil filter ?

Beats me. I don't have the vehicle yet, so I don't know what is on it. I haven't gotten around to looking further than just seeing what is listed online.

eBay and Amazon are full of counterfeits
mad.gif

Honda's OE supplier is Fram. The PH7317 is slightly better than the A02 and much cheaper. The TG7317 is much better than the A02 for about the same price. If you must have the Honda name and the blue can, Autozone sells some OEM oil filters, including the Honda A02. They also carry Toyota OE oil filters
smile.gif

The Honda filters do seem overpriced relative to a lot of OEM filters. I picked up a bunch last year but didn't pay as much as I see them going for now. You would be better served by picking up a Fram TG7317 or XG7317 from Walmart or Amazon and leaving it on for a couple intervals. Honda actually recommends changing the filter every other oil change. Both my Outlander and Pilot use that same filter.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
mad.gif

Honda's OE supplier is Fram. The PH7317 is slightly better than the A02 and much cheaper. The TG7317 is much better than the A02 for about the same price. If you must have the Honda name and the blue can, Autozone sells some OEM oil filters, including the Honda A02. They also carry Toyota OE oil filters
smile.gif

I figured I'd stick with places that look like real storefronts--the last few shipments were from Toyota dealers. thanks for the cross reference, will keep that in mind.

Originally Posted by czbrian
The Honda filters do seem overpriced relative to a lot of OEM filters. I picked up a bunch last year but didn't pay as much as I see them going for now. You would be better served by picking up a Fram TG7317 or XG7317 from Walmart or Amazon and leaving it on for a couple intervals. Honda actually recommends changing the filter every other oil change. Both my Outlander and Pilot use that same filter.

Not a big fan of filters for more than one OCI. Honda knows more than I do--but manuals are written by bean counters. It doesn't matter either way but I'm old & set in my ways.

We have a 2004 CRV and have used every name brand oil filter except OEM @ 145,000 Miles running strong. Factory specification is to change filter every other oil change. I change filter every oil change.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
mad.gif

smile.gif

Fram is one of Honda's suppliers, they also use Roki, Mahale Tennex and Purflux, there may be others in other markets.

A02 (Fram) are the most common in the US, A01 are the Roki that are so sought after (consequently highly counterfeited)

I am not sure by what measure a PH is slightly better, the only two measures it is better by are efficiency (much better ) and cost (much less). The A02 has a seam clamp and more pleats than the PH it has the same number of pleats as a TG if you subtract the seam clamp.

Most dealers around here get between 7-8 bucks for one and will throw in a washer.

I have cut open unused examples of a wide range of Filters for this application and they are all here, as are a somewhat more limited cross section of used ones. Just search post started by me and that should keep you busy for the evening ...ƒ

Walmart multipack of XG7317 for less than $7.xx and free shipping. Run em for at least 2 OCI. I started using these on my Honda Odyssey. Or the TG. Easy.

Mahle Clevite OC707 from rockauto is under $4

We use these on all our Honda Pilot, Ridgeline,Accord,Fit,Passport and CRV models

Originally Posted by supton

[For the record, while I run aftermarket parts I tend to run OEM filters. A cabin filter is not that important, oil and air a bit more--but I'm unsold on some of the aftermarket claims as to "better" and "improved". So I just stick with "proven" OEM. I figure, it's gotta be in the middle spot between cheapo stuff and expensive stuff, in terms of both performance and cost, and that's where I tend to live.]

Honda filter, It's just a Fram painted Blue., It's just OK. or you could also do the Fram XG

Honda hasn't gone to a drop in cartridge yet?

Not very "green" of them!

Last edited:
IMO, it isn't worth overpaying for Honda OEM unless you can get them for the equivalent of other filters on the market. There is nothing special about them and their efficiency is quite low compared to the competition. I like to use Fram Ultra for 2 oil changes when I'm not using up other filters that I get on sale/clearance. Every one I've cut open looks perfect even after more than 10,000 miles on them.

Back