Any small engine carb experts?

Does anyone know if float bowl(with same diameter), float and pin can be swapped between carburetors or they are designed specific to each model of the carburetor?

Have a almost brand new power washer: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru.../costco-pressure-washer-carb#Post5448478 but missing float, pin and bowl.

So was planning to swap it from a non-working lawn mower after ensuring diameter is same.

Thanks for any tips and help
thumbsup2.gif

I've fixed carbs from multiple donors to make a working unit.

You can test the functionality of the float by squirting some cleaner in the fuel line and manually exercising the float and needle to stop the flow.
As long at the float moves freely on the pin and the needle stops the gas, it should work p!ssah.

Originally Posted by Zaedock
I've fixed carbs from multiple donors to make a working unit.

You can test the functionality of the float by squirting some cleaner in the fuel line and manually exercising the float and needle to stop the flow.
As long at the float moves freely on the pin and the needle stops the gas, it should work p!ssah.

Thank you in my case, everything present besides float bowl, float and needle.

So top part of the carb is good, just need bottom parts for it.
thumbsup2.gif

In many cases today, it's often cheaper and easier to replace the carb rather than rebuild it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Normac
In many cases today, it's often cheaper and easier to replace the carb rather than rebuild it.

I had a hard time admitting to this myself....but very true. I have an old Massey Ferguson 16 lawn tractor that i use as a yard tug. I've serviced the carb a few times, but the float was at its end and it needed a new bowl gasket. But ~$30 had a brand new imported carb to my door and it runs the best it has in years.....

Originally Posted by maverickfhs
Do you guys recommend honda OEM or chinese should be good too? Thanks again

Your choice, and often you get what you pay for.
At the same time, many people (including myself) have had very good luck with the Chinese carbs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Normac
Do you guys recommend honda OEM or chinese should be good too? Thanks again

Your choice, and often you get what you pay for.
At the same time, many people (including myself) have had very good luck with the Chinese carbs.

Sure, have any recommended seller? Price difference is almost 2 times between Honda(Thailand) and Chinese one.

Sure, have any recommended seller? Price difference is almost 2 times between Honda(Thailand) and Chinese one.

Honestly - I usually go with whoever's cheapest (and a USA Seller, if possible) on 'The Bay'.
And while I can completely relate to what 'wings&wheels' was saying above, these days I'm more of a realist. It is what it is.

Last edited:
You could always try the swap but the float needs to be the same height as the old one too and the needle needs to be the same length or else you need to try and figure a way to jury rig the float adjustment, that and hopefully the needle seat fits the needle shape (same taper) unless you are going to swap seats too.
The ebay carbs have been good to me, one in my snow blower and one in my tiller although the one in the tiller was not a perfect match I took linkage and vane off the old one and jury rigged it to the new one.

Originally Posted by samven
You could always try the swap but the float needs to be the same height as the old one too and the needle needs to be the same length or else you need to try and figure a way to jury rig the float adjustment, that and hopefully the needle seat fits the needle shape (same taper) unless you are going to swap seats too.
The ebay carbs have been good to me, one in my snow blower and one in my tiller although the one in the tiller was not a perfect match I took linkage and vane off the old one and jury rigged it to the new one.

I had to do the same w/ the choke plate on mine....took a minute exclusive of time on the floor looking for a detent ball. The choke shaft was a bit loose and the screws would not swap between old and new because the new carb is metric.... Be careful swapping critical parts as they may not be a perfect match.

The 2 stroke Chinese clone carbs are proving to be reliable on the weed wacker and the Mantis. Both were less than 15$ delivered with the entire gas lines, filter plug and air filter. If I can't revive a carb with Berryman's Chem Tool, I go surfing the interwebs. I dose all the OPE fuel with MMO. Also fuel is dumped and carbs are run dry. 2 stroke is mixed 32;1, a qt at a time. Maybe when I mix the next qt, I'll take out the old Lawnboy I revived by cleaning the 30 yr old Walbro carb
grin2.gif

Last edited:
I agree with andyd from Mah-shfield.

I used a couple of new chinese carbs on two of my snow blowers last Fall and they worked very well and were $12-$15ea.
Replacement factory carbs, as you can expect, are much higher in price ($50 +/-). When I need to buy small specialty items, I've used Jack's Small Engines in Wisconsin.

The new chinese carbs can be a real time saver. With the Covid mess, I've been working from home for two months and have made time to catch up with old mower and small engine projects. I just took the time to clean the carb on a spare B&S 6.75 which will be installed on a Craftsman mower deck. I could easily toss it and buy a $130 mower, but I enjoy working on them and I don't like to waste stuff that still has plenty of life with a little bit of effort.

Does anyone know if float bowl(with same diameter), float and pin can be swapped between carburetors or they are designed specific to each model of the carburetor?

Have a almost brand new power washer: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru.../costco-pressure-washer-carb#Post5448478 but missing float, pin and bowl.

So was planning to swap it from a non-working lawn mower after ensuring diameter is same.

Thanks for any tips and help
thumbsup2.gif

No harm in trying. But new carbs are dirt cheap on Amazon or EBAY.

Chinese clone carbs are hit or miss. I have seen some hits, but I have also seen some misses. There are some other factors to consider other than "will it bolt-up", for example, if it a non-adjustable carb will it have the correct jet size? If not, you will have a problem.

Very surprisingly found one OEM locally for cheap, majority of local paces are asking $40 for it!!!

Back