Subaru15208AA160 vs 15208AA115 vs Wix 57055

I have depleted my supply of a dozen Subaru blue 15208AA115 filters and plan on making another bulk purchase soon.

While recently browsing eBay, to my surprise, the black "Made in Japan" 15208AA160 filters were available for a reasonable cost that was a dollar and change above the cost of the OEM blue filters that l have been using. My Subaru came from the factory with the black filter that definitely felt sturdier and better built than the blue filters.

I've also had my eye on the Wix 57055 filter that is priced very competitively on Rock Auto. From what l have read, the Wix filters and OEM filters have the correct bypass valve pressure setting for Subaru.

I am leaning towards the Wix filters because of the lowest cost to compliment my use of Supertech or Costco synthetic oil that will keep my costs below $20 per oil change.

I have been driving Subaru's for 15+ years and have never used a non-OEM oil filter.

Does anybody have any concerns or comments about my new cost cutting strategy?

31.gif

Watch out on eBay. Counterfeits and fakes everywhere
mad.gif

There is nothing wrong with the Wix 57055, or even the XP version 57055XP. There is also Napa Gold and Platinum, which are reboxed Wix and Wix XP, respectively
smile.gif

Fram makes the blue filters but doesn't offer the Subaru-specific bypass in the orange can
crazy2.gif

Dittos on the counterfeits. I'd be careful of online sales. Check if some Subaru dealers sell the filters online.

I have been driving Subaru vehicles since 1995. Wix is my go to filter for the three Subaru vehicles in our household at present. Wix 57055 and Napa Gold 7055 are high quality filters and will serve you well on any Subaru application.

I would stick with the blue Subie filter. They are under five bucks at the dealer.

I have heard about people ordering the AA160s online and being sent the blue cans...the seller would then try to say that what was sent was what Subaru Of America recommended to replace the black Tokyo Rokis and resist giving a refund.
The 5/7055 filters are solidly built, but I don't like the square cut gaskets...one I used in my FXTs weeped oil no matter how it was tightened and I saw when I took it out that it had a prominent ridge on the gasket. I know a lot of Subaru owners do like them, though.
I didn't like the blue cans because I could feel the case flexing when I hand tightened them, but I will probably go back to them when my stash of Tokyo Roki filters that are sized for the WRX (short and wide) runs out. I got a large quantity of them at a really low unit price on Amazon not long after I bought my car, but that deal has been gone for years. Felt like they were a good choice for my FXT as it basically has a WRX engine.

I have been using non subaru filters in my subarus since 2008. I want the best filtering possible. The bypass setpoint doesn't mean squat. Fram knows a thing or two about filters they recommend for a given vehicle. They are not chancing lawsuits. Oh yea my granddaughter is still driving the 2008 after 217K miles. I use the Fram Ultra.

Originally Posted by Al
I have been using non subaru filters in my subarus since 2008. I want the best filtering possible. The bypass setpoint doesn't mean squat. Fram knows a thing or two about filters they recommend for a given vehicle. They are not chancing lawsuits. Oh yea my granddaughter is still driving the 2008 after 217K miles. I use the Fram Ultra.

Problem is I don't think anyone really knows the efficiency of the blue Subie filter. I know they are made by Fram but the media sure looks more impressive than an extra guard.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
I have heard about people ordering the AA160s online and being sent the blue cans...the seller would then try to say that what was sent was what Subaru Of America recommended to replace the black Tokyo Rokis and resist giving a refund

I've also read about the blue can switcheroo. The eBay seller l was referring to lists the 160s as "Made in Japan" with clear pictures. I would first verify with the seller if l decided to go that route. My next oil change will probably be in November so l have a bit of time to decide.

Originally Posted by Al

It boggles my mind when I read people who suggest that the Subaru OEM oil filter MUST be used on a Subaru engine because of the bypass and any other Fram product simply will not work.

I am pretty sure that if Fram has the expertise to build an oil filter that Subaru wants built as cheaply as possible, Fram also possesses the expertise to create products that exceed those bare minimum performance standards to the point that a bypass spec from 2009 is irrelevant.

Originally Posted by Lubener
Originally Posted by Al

Problem is I don't think anyone really knows the efficiency of the blue Subie filter. I know they are made by Fram but the media sure looks more impressive than an extra guard.

Fram does produce cheap jobber filters that are not sold at the retail level. They are used at quick lube shops like Walmart. That is what the Subaru OEM oil filter is only in a blue can, it is roughly equivalent to the lowest Napa filter below the Napa Gold. Napa Silver or Pro Select, whatever they are calling it now.

Subaru figured out that the blue can was not made to go as far as 7500 miles which is why it was reduced to a 6000 mile recommendation.

That guy is not an oil filter expert, he primarily puts out clickbait based on the superficialities of oil filters and people believe he has credibility because he works as a Subaru mechanic.
He sure tries to down play the Fram made filter ... the Subaru filter is 0.0001" larger in diameter, so it must be better. :LOL:

Fact is, both are Subaru OEM and therefore they believe either one will do the job it's suppose to do.

He sure tries to down play the Fram made filter ... the Subaru filter is 0.0001" larger in diameter, so it must be better. :LOL:

Fact is, both are Subaru OEM and therefore they believe either one will do the job it's suppose to do.

That guy HATES Fram and refuses to touch the subject of the Fram Ultra. It's cool if you hate the OEM Fram in a blue can but I think his schtick is a bit silly.

I have tried a few different oil filters on my Outback, including the Subaru 15208AA15A, Fram Ultra XG7317, and MicroGreen MG101-7. But by far my favorite is the NAPA Gold FIL 7055, aka Wix 57055. I buy them when they are on sale. They cost much less than the Subaru filter. And they have a better quality bypass filter than the Subaru filter.

I have had excellent UOA results with the NAPA Gold. So the NAPA Gold / Wix would be my choice.

Reactions: wdn
But by far my favorite is the NAPA Gold FIL 7055, aka Wix 57055. I buy them when they are on sale. They cost much less than the Subaru filter. And they have a better quality bypass filter than the Subaru filter.
That one still have a base end bypass valve? I'm assuming that's what you mean ... if not, then what?

Unless something has changed, I think he's an independent mechanic that specializes on subarus. He applied at a dealership, but didn't get the job. Kinda bothers me how he photoshopped a dealership type background into some of his youtube thumbnails, combined with the dealership shirt, gives a false impression. (Edit: Maybe greenscreen'd is a better term to use instead of photoshopped here)

Last edited:
Unless something has changed, I think he's an independent mechanic that specializes on subarus. He applied at a dealership, but didn't get the job. Kinda bothers me how he photoshopped a dealership type background into some of his youtube thumbnails, combined with the dealership shirt, gives a false impression. (Edit: Maybe greenscreen'd is a better term to use instead of photoshopped here)

I have watched a lot of his videos and I think he puts out a lot of good, relevant content. It's really just his oil filter videos that I take issue with. That and how he plays up his credibility, it is typical of a clickbait artist.

That one still have a base end bypass valve? I'm assuming that's what you mean ... if not, then what?
Yes. I tend to believe that the base end bypass valves are better, since the bypassing oil doesn't pass across the filter media, potentially dislodging particulate and putting it back in to the engine. A small thing, but if everything else is equal on a filter, I prefer the base end bypass valves.

Back