Test drove a few trucks. Ram Pentstar V6?

I like the monotone Rams, Rebel etc … but some around here look like they used a $250 coupon in the Auto Zone peel and stick/bolt on aisle …

Originally Posted by BLND1
The v6 doesn't mesh as well with the 8-speed. Very jerky in stop and go driving. Likely due to being less powerful.
Not apples to apples, but the 3.6L mated to the ZF 8 speed in my Rubicon behaves nothing like that. Very responsive and never "hunts" for gears.

Originally Posted by JTK
Originally Posted by dave1251

Owning a late model Chevrolet and a Ram. The Chevrolet rides better, it drives like a truck, it's lower and heavier. Easier to maintain hauls and tows better. Real world fuel economy is close to 20 MPG which is a lot better than 17.8 from the Ram. The Ram gets 89 octane while the Chevy gets 87. The Chevrolet is quite a bit heavier being a Z71 package with aggressive off road Baja's and 4x4 while the Ram is a Big Horn 4x2. The Ram is quicker from a standstill and turns better. The 2019 Ram style is prettier to the 18 Silverado the performance edge as a truck goes to the Silverado.

Is your Ram a pentastar? If so, just curious why the 89oct fuel. ~17.8mpg would be a low average fuel economy for one as well.

FWIW, my brother tows an 18ft fiberglass open bow boat similar to yours with his 2019 Ram 1500 classic, pentastar w/ 3.55gears. He loves it. They obviously don't have the rip-snortin' grunt of a hemi, but you should expect that going into it.

I've known 2 guys with late model GM 1500's with the 4.3L. Both loved the truck but hated the transmission mated to that engine so badly that they only kept their trucks for 1-2yrs and traded for other GMs w/out this combo.

No it's the 5.7 it's a fine truck and it looks great. I don't expect any issues from it but IMO the Chevrolet is a better truck even being a generation behind and model year older.
The pentastar fine engine with the ZF-8 but it seems to be working hard as it can when working with the Ram.

Originally Posted by JC1
Pentastar motor has been around since 2011. It's a great motor. I don't know if I'd want to do a ton of towing with the Pentastar, but for occasion towing I'm sure it will be fine.

There was engine leaks with the oil filter housing previously. If you change your own oil make sure you don't tighten the capoke a gorilla. I use the Fram Ultra on my caravan and leave it on for two OCI.

I don't know enough about the 8 SPD tranny, just whatever you do with the tranny male sire you use the correct fluid in it. Do the Rams come with an external transmission cooler for towing?

Why not a lot of towing?

They have as much HP as a mid 2000's Chevy 5.3 V8 truck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
The v6 doesn't mesh as well with the 8-speed. Very jerky in stop and go driving. Likely due to being less powerful.
Not apples to apples, but the 3.6L mated to the ZF 8 speed in my Rubicon behaves nothing like that. Very responsive and never "hunts" for gears.

We have a Charger in the fleet with 3.6L/ZF8 … unless you really feel the need for (5.7L) speed that's a great power train and that includes the independent rear axle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD

No doubt about it, the 8spd is what makes the powertrain what it is. It would likely be horrible with the 6spd or less.

Something was amiss with the pentastar / 8spd combo if it felt very jerky.

Last edited:
I have a Pentastar and 6 speed in our 200 and it's a rocketship. My 17 Ram with the Pstar and 8 speed was great too

Originally Posted by doitmyself
My co-worker recently had a pleasant experience buying a GMC truck through Car Max, but his desire for single cab, minimal upgrades resulted in a spectacular deal. I cannot help with your specific request, only to say that you have to really dig deep to overcome internet bias and determine if any particular Achilles heel that EVERY truck brand has now is a legitimate deal breaker.

My input: determine if FCA has eliminated the premature rust causing body insulation of the 2013+ generation: https://www.ramforumz.com/threads/check-your-fenders-rust-bubble.240109/

Best of luck finding your dream machine.

That is in my opinion the biggest problem with the Ram trucks. Here in Ontario Canada they frequently rust boxes and fenders within the warranty period or shortly after. The drivetrain is good (other than issues with the Hemi (cam and lifters)) but the Pentastar should be good.

My friend is a body shop manager and he says undercoating doesn't help with the rust problem because it doesn't get to the insulation.

Hopefully they have eliminated this in the latest trucks but I doubt it.

Originally Posted by dadto2
I have no experience with the Pentastar, but I can tell you that my Sierra (2WD) with the V6 has plenty of power. I get 24mpg highway, 20ish around town. I've been towing a 16' aluminum fishing boat (super lightweight) but will have an 18' fiberglass bow rider I/O this spring. I'll try to remember to report back on my towing experience after I drive down to Cincinnati to pick it up. I'll have 500 miles to tow it home. I expect it to be a breeze.

Update - I trailered the boat home on Saturday. As expected, it was a piece of cake. I set the cruise for 70 MPH and averaged 18 MPG from Cincinnati, OH to Rochester, NY. No trouble with the hills, transmission temps hung right around.195.

[Linked Image]

I agree if it's the base V6 to V6 the GM powerplant beats anything from FCA and Ford. But the OP seemed very firm it was a inferior 3.6 Ram or nothing.

The 4.3 V6 in the GM's is not related to the old 4.3 and I'd want to see after a number of years now they hold up. The Pentastar has been proven to be reliable at least.

This is second hand information but the company I work for has a 2015 Silverado 4.3 V6 6 speed, at one of our other offices. I've never driven it but 2 of my co-workers have worked there the odd time and said that truck would scream going up steep hills. They don't pull a trailer but have the box loaded with surveying equipment just like our trucks. They also have a small generator in the back to power their hammer drill.

For comparison my 2005 4.8 v8 4 speed will downshift on some hills and Rev to keep its speed but at least it sounds happy doing it. Not exactly quiet, but smooth.

Besides our companies truck I haven't heard any other feedback on the 4.3 but I have heard nothing bad about the Pentastar. My friend has one in a ram and a Durango and loves them. They should be fine for towing less than 5000lbs on occasion.

I forgot, a bunch of friends and I rented a Pentastar Durango to go to Detroit autorama last year. It hauled 5 of us and all luggage and worked good. I didn't drive it but it had plenty of power merging on the highway and shifting felt fine. No hills on our 12 hour trip though.

The previous year we did the same trip with a Hemi Durango RT. It looked nicer and sounded better, more power obviously. They both got good gas mileage but the Pentastar was better. For long term reliability I'd go Pentastar because the hemis still seem to have cam and lifter issues.

We found out we're having our 3rd child. Our first boy!!! With that said, my truck purchase is on hold...

A Crew cab, full size rear doors, short bed, RAM w/ the 3.6/ V6 will be what I purchase.

Originally Posted by dja4260
We found out we're having our 3rd child. Our first boy!!! With that said, my truck purchase is on hold...

A Crew cab, full size rear doors, short bed, RAM w/ the 3.6/ V6 will be what I purchase.

I've got the same truck, except it's the 5.7. TONS of space!

The Ecotec 4.3 is a very reliable engine with real world fuel economy better than the 3.6 in pickups. The 3.6 under any load revs higher and longer to make and maintain power. But people should buy what makes them happy. Being said in a crew cab the 5.3 and 5.7 are simply better options. F.E. are nearly identical. There are a lot more 5.3's and 5.7's and both engines should last a lot longer in the same duty cycle.

The Ecotec 4.3 is a very reliable engine with real world fuel economy better than the 3.6 in pickups. The 3.6 under any load revs higher and longer to make and maintain power. But people should buy what makes them happy. Being said in a crew cab the 5.3 and 5.7 are simply better options. F.E. are nearly identical. There are a lot more 5.3's and 5.7's and both engines should last a lot longer in the same duty cycle.

Is the 4.3 based on the v8s?

Originally Posted by dja4260

Congratulations this is more important than a pickup. Being said a Crew Cab with 3 kids is the way to go.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
I have no experience with the Pentastar, but I can tell you that my Sierra (2WD) with the V6 has plenty of power. I get 24mpg highway, 20ish around town. I've been towing a 16' aluminum fishing boat (super lightweight) but will have an 18' fiberglass bow rider I/O this spring. I'll try to remember to report back on my towing experience after I drive down to Cincinnati to pick it up. I'll have 500 miles to tow it home. I expect it to be a breeze.

Update - I trailered the boat home on Saturday. As expected, it was a piece of cake. I set the cruise for 70 MPH and averaged 18 MPG from Cincinnati, OH to Rochester, NY. No trouble with the hills, transmission temps hung right around.195.

[Linked Image]

I agree if it's the base V6 to V6 the GM powerplant beats anything from FCA and Ford. But the OP seemed very firm it was a inferior 3.6 Ram or nothing.

The 4.3 V6 in the GM's is not related to the old 4.3 and I'd want to see after a number of years now they hold up. The Pentastar has been proven to be reliable at least.

This is second hand information but the company I work for has a 2015 Silverado 4.3 V6 6 speed, at one of our other offices. I've never driven it but 2 of my co-workers have worked there the odd time and said that truck would scream going up steep hills. They don't pull a trailer but have the box loaded with surveying equipment just like our trucks. They also have a small generator in the back to power their hammer drill.

For comparison my 2005 4.8 v8 4 speed will downshift on some hills and Rev to keep its speed but at least it sounds happy doing it. Not exactly quiet, but smooth.

Besides our companies truck I haven't heard any other feedback on the 4.3 but I have heard nothing bad about the Pentastar. My friend has one in a ram and a Durango and loves them. They should be fine for towing less than 5000lbs on occasion.

I'm very familiar with your neighborhood... So I can tell you how this 4.3 Sierra performs on roads you know. I cruise up Rt. 3 out of Lansdown doing 95 - 110 kmh, and the tach sits right around 1300 to 2000 rpm. Same on Rt 15, and 43 to Westport. And same up the Perth road. Doesn't scream at all. If I really get on it up the hill out of Westport, she'll wind up to 3000 rpm, but is nice and smooth throughout.

[/quote]

Besides our companies truck I haven't heard any other feedback on the 4.3 but I have heard nothing bad about the Pentastar. My friend has one in a ram and a Durango and loves them. They should be fine for towing less than 5000lbs on occasion. [/quote]

I'm very familiar with your neighborhood... So I can tell you how this 4.3 Sierra performs on roads you know. I cruise up Rt. 3 out of Lansdown doing 95 - 110 kmh, and the tach sits right around 1300 to 2000 rpm. Same on Rt 15, and 43 to Westport. And same up the Perth road. Doesn't scream at all. If I really get on it up the hill out of Westport, she'll wind up to 3000 rpm, but is nice and smooth throughout.
[/quote]

I love that hill coming out of Westport.... But I've only ever gone up in it my cars with no load.

The 4.3 is only available as a 6 speed right?

I assume you vacation up this way? Hopefully soon, we can all get back to doing that. We have friends in Syracuse that have been waiting to come to the cottage

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv

I love that hill coming out of Westport.... But I've only ever gone up in it my cars with no load.

The 4.3 is only available as a 6 speed right?

I assume you vacation up this way? Hopefully soon, we can all get back to doing that. We have friends in Syracuse that have been waiting to come to the cottage

Not sure about current models, but the 2016 4.3 came with the 6 speed.

And yes, my parents built a cottage on Big Crosby Lake way back when they were expecting me... I now share it with my brothers. I can't wait until the border reopens! Fortunately we have some wonderful neighbors who will look after the place until we can return.

As a new owner of a Pentastar and ZF8 … surprised by how quickly it runs through all gears and is in 8th at pretty low speeds… seems like lots of shifts doing little along the way …

Back