'18 Accent oil change : Which synthetic 5w-20 or possibly 5w-30

( warmer months ) ? Have been using P.P. 5w-20 ( Dexos1 , Gen 2 ) . Considering The P.P. Pure Plus ( GF-6 ) , Valvoline modern Engine and Mobil 1 A.P. or E.P. . Likely to use the Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filter . Thanks

Last edited:
Hyundai Accent?
With 5w20 year round and any filter, the engine will easily outlast the rest of the vehicle.

Said this about the Soul I own yesterday. It applies even more to the Accent.

Most engine trouble in the Accent is caused by people who have never checked the dipstick. These engines don't like to be run low on oil Whether it's 5w20 or 5w30 syn or not, probably makes no difference. Keep the oil level up and check that dipstick. My daughter has one and I'm constantly yelling that at her. We'll see if it makes any difference. I change at 5K on any HyunKia I've owned. The rest of the car is pretty bulletproof and the trouble with the engine is usually the owner.

The fact that you asked the question leads me to agree with the first response. That the engine might outlast the rest of the car.

Check oil level of the '18 ACCENT every week since it was purchased . It has been slightly below the FULL mark during warmer weather and interstate driving . Checked every few days at that oil interval .

Last edited:
Any good 5w30 name brand Syn oil will work fine. Just as said check the level from time to time and keep it topped off.

I would just use the 5W-20 year round unless you notice consumption. I would go with Mobil 1 just because of the rebate, even think of using the 0W-20 EP with the mostly PAO base...

Either one would be good. Me personally, I would use the 5-30. Always do in engines speced 5-20.

Originally Posted by walterjay
Either one would be good. Me personally, I would use the 5-30. Always do in engines speced 5-20.

Agree with this. You can get a good 5w20 vs 5w30 argument going on this board. Started one myself last year. In reality it probably means little. As to brand, remember Blackstone's admonition that they've never found performance differences by brand or between conventional and synthetic. Of course, there are (almost) no real 5wXX conventionals left.

Originally Posted by odie
Check oil level of the '18 ACCENT every week since it was purchased . It has been slightly below the FULL mark during warmer weather and interstate driving . Checked every few days at that oil interval .

Use 5w30 and any of the oils you mentioned in your opening post will work great. If the engine is TGDI, change every 4k.

Originally Posted by Propflux01
5w-30 year round. Mobil one.

Agree. 5w30 synthetic, preferred M1/Pennzoil with HTO6 spec. They do well on Fram Ultra or Napa Gold filters too.

I have a 2014 KIA Rio (Same as an Accent.) I have used Full syn mostly, with an occasional Semi-Syn. As some have posted, keep it to full mark. The issue with these GDI engines is fuel dilution, so that's really why I run Full Syn most of the time. Usually about every 5K. Brand doesn't matter in these engines. I use whatever is on sale or I have gotten a great deal on in bulk. 5W-20 or 5W-30, where I am, doesn't make a difference. I have used Supertech, QS, Havoline ( a lot of this as I got it for $7.99/5 qt container---bought about 13!) and NAPA. No difference whatsoever that I could see. Approaching 100K, no issues. Car runs fine.

Bottom line in reality? Doesn't matter what you use.

Last edited:
Back