Very slow download speed

My download speed is ~ 5 Mbps and should be ~ 20 according to Xfinity. I have the "Triple play" which in includes telephone, TV and internet. I have tested the download speed on my laptop and my hardwired desktop. I have also ran a speed-test using Chrome and the result is the same. I have checked cable connections. I have unplugged my Motorola modem to reset it. I run window 10 and use Mozilla/Firefox for my Browser. a call to Xfinity didn't resolve the issue. Suggestions will be appreciated. Ed Hayes

Mine's slower too, with Spectrum. Was 32 Mbps (supposed to be 100, or, I guess, "up to" 100.) Now 17-18.

It's everybody staying home, and the cable companies aren't investing in their infrastructure.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Mine's slower too, with Spectrum. Was 32 Mbps (supposed to be 100, or, I guess, "up to" 100.) Now 17-18.

It's everybody staying home, and the cable companies aren't investing in their infrastructure.

My Spectrum for $49.99 per month is:
Download - 115.98 Mbps
Upload - 12.25 Mbps

my internet is also slow tonight.. probably too many people on.
[Linked Image from speedtest.net]

Did you try taking your router out of the equation?
Try plugging your modem directly into computer via ethernet cord.
My guess is the router is taking the speed way down.

I have comcast same package 25mbps for $19.99 a month.

My speed test is always 29-30 Mbps
I have an ancient modem Motorola sb 6120
And an Asus RT AC68U

Is the lower speed something new and you noticed or finally got around to test it and realize?

Also is your Motorola modem also the wireless router or is there a separate unit plugging into the Motorola modem via ethernet cord(looks like telephone end but larger)?

Originally Posted by eljefino

That's why they like to use the words "up to" so often.They still are investing in their billing department however.

Last edited:
My modem is a Motorola MT7711 + Xfinity phone line. This is the first speed check I've attempted on this modem so I have no reference. The modem is plugged directly into the computer. . I observe the FAN type icon on the modem is flashing approximately 2x per second. Is this normal?

The flashing FAN icon on the modem is normal according to Motorola. An interesting obsevation is that the UPLOAD speed is ~ 10mb/s and the download is 1/2 that or ~ 5 Mb/s

I observed it seem to be difficult to get a really good technical support on the line from either Comcast or Motorola. Probably do to the Covid 19 issue. Ed

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Be glad you don't have Centurylink in a rural location. Bad is not the word.

Century Link DSL
25 down
2 up

All this for only $50/month
confused2.gif

Last edited:
Ed if you called over weekend the quality of Xfinity tech support is less. It sounds like you rent equipment which is great because they own the problem and can better support you.

Also the direct connection to your computer also proves a slow connection is happening without any wifi slowness involved.

Comcast is simply working from home so Covid operations are not curtailed.

Good luck and I would try another call. The service out of Atlanta area is incredible.

Originally Posted by Eddie
I observed it seem to be difficult to get a really good technical support on the line from either Comcast or Motorola. Probably do to the Covid 19 issue. Ed

Unless you tell the Provider of an issue (something like freezing video and audio under light load), they will probably just ignore the call-complaint.

Back