Muzzle up or down?

When I was younger I stored my guns horizontal and never gave it a second though. Now I have a gun safe of sorts requiring vertical storage. After prolonged sitting I notice the oil runs (expectedly) towards the lower regions as they are stored. Now, if they are stored muzzle up this results in the oil running down into the receive and the main spring tube, etc. If stored muzzle down this results in the oil migrating down the barrel. We are not talking about a large amount of oil- no pooling for certain. And these are on my modern rifles that like to run a little wetter, on more traditional rifles I oil them much more sparingly and have no issues.

Do you store your guns muzzle up or muzzle down?

Wood stock* - muzzle down

MSR - whatever fits better in my already too small safe.

*Garands get greased. They don't have a problem with the oil creeping into the stock. Over time, gun oil weakens the stock.

I don't put that much oil on my guns to make it run when its time to store them. Otherwise muzzle up always. It's always been that way and to change just seems incorrect. Plus, guns tip over and fall easier if they are stored on the barrel.

Muzzle up is how I store my rifles. Not for oil migration route but because it's a more stable position.

Muzzle up--always.

Resting a rifle on the muzzle invites damage to the crown, and if that happens you can kiss accuracy goodbye. The point about stability inside the cabinet/safe is also very valid. Here in Alaska we can get some pretty decent earthquakes, and I would shudder to think what might happen to some of my rifles if I stored them in the safe muzzle down.

Originally Posted by AlaskaMike
Muzzle up--always.

Resting a rifle on the muzzle invites damage to the crown, and if that happens you can kiss accuracy goodbye. The point about stability inside the cabinet/safe is also very valid. Here in Alaska we can get some pretty decent earthquakes, and I would shudder to think what might happen to some of my rifles if I stored them in the safe muzzle down.

^YES - THIS EXACTLY

Originally Posted by buck91
When I was younger I stored my guns horizontal and never gave it a second though. Now I have a gun safe of sorts requiring vertical storage. After prolonged sitting I notice the oil runs (expectedly) towards the lower regions as they are stored. Now, if they are stored muzzle up this results in the oil running down into the receive and the main spring tube, etc. If stored muzzle down this results in the oil migrating down the barrel. We are not talking about a large amount of oil- no pooling for certain. And these are on my modern rifles that like to run a little wetter, on more traditional rifles I oil them much more sparingly and have no issues.

Do you store your guns muzzle up or muzzle down?

Because most gun owners over-oil, after installing long-term storage oils, keep the muzzle-up for a day or-so, then turn it over and wipe down the wood, laminate or poly stock - then turn it muzzle-down for long-term. I learned that with Muzzleloader / Blackpowder rifles and that M.O. works very well for me with centerfire rifles / shotguns too.

I don't own any military style guns, like (example) AR-15s. So I cannot comment on those. I also keep the down-muzzle pointed on a slight silicone dampened cloth, which lays on the gun safe floor.

Last edited:
I'll go against the grain as I store most of the rifles muzzle down. I grew up in New Mexico and everything got desert dust on it. If you stored muzzle up you'd have grit in your barrel for sure.

Almost all my rifles have flash hiders or brakes on them so damage to the crown isn't a problem.

BSW

Like most others, muzzle up and not enough oil to leech into the furniture

For those concerned by dust, go to McMaster and get the little rubber caps, next to nothing cost wise and shoot through if you had to

Originally Posted by Gebo
I keep mine horizontal on my cabinet near my door.

My Grandma Fox had one hidden above the doors. I never noticed them. My dad hangs them on back of refrigerator.

I personally think you are overthinking the whole subject.
It's a gun made out of wood and steel. Oil isn't going to hurt the internals of the gun. Store it anyway, muzzle up, down or hanging on the wall. It's a gun and very durable under a variety of conditions.

Back