2006 scion tc intake manifold oil leak

I discovered a weeping oil leak on the air intake manifold on my 06 Scion tc. I know the 2az-fe engine has the head bolt issue, but that doesn't look like the issue here. It's only one bolt (furthest right side) that's wet with oil towards the throttle body (driver's side of the car).. I didn't try snugging that bolt down because I could see a bit of the gasket sticking out.. which I don't think is normal at all.. Is it a common issue or known issue with the intake manifold gasket going bad? Thought I'd ask.. yes I know I'll have to get in there and take things apart, but wanted to ask..

03 - 08 Toyotas (1.8 and 2.4) had an issue with oil leaks. My 03 Matrix bought used about 3 years ago with 80k miles, and had to replace all gaskets. I guess Toyota was trying to cut corners and oil leaks is what happened. Just the nature of that particular beast.

Originally Posted by rob1715
03 - 08 Toyotas (1.8 and 2.4) had an issue with oil leaks. My 03 Matrix bought used about 3 years ago with 80k miles, and had to replace all gaskets. I guess Toyota was trying to cut corners and oil leaks is what happened. Just the nature of that particular beast.

thanks for the info! I am towards 70k miles, and that makes a lot of sense that it's coming from the valve cover gasket.. Since there isn't any oil sources around the air intake manifold (itself).. Thinking what you're saying, it IS 14.5 years old now! Guess nothing lasts forever.
grin2.gif

Not sure why that much oil is running through the intake
confused2.gif

Maybe PCV system needs a look.

Then change intake gasket.

UPDATE: I was able to check the valve cover gasket (didn't have time until now, no I haven't been driving this Scion) and I found the entire valve cover gasket is DRY! There is no oil leaking from there to the intake manifold. I looked below the intake manifold area and it looked dry. I'll probably have to get up from underneath and use an inspection camera to see behind the air intake manifold. The PCV valve system is completely dry. And how could an air intake manifold be leaking oil??

Is this the dreaded head bolt issue that the 2az-fe is known for? Can the head bolts pull free enough to leak oil but not enough to have coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant? There isn't any in either right now. If it is the headbolt issue I remember hearing ARP made a kit for this? I'll check just thinking.

If it isn't the headbolt issue, what else at the back of the engine besides this??

Back