Old style glass bowl gas filters

They do a fair job at filtering there should be a filter element in them Rust and water collect in the bottom of the bowl.

Originally Posted by Donald
I have an old Hobart welder/generator with a glass bowl gas filter. Do they filter rust particles and water or just water?

I get all kinds of debris in the glass bowl.

Originally Posted by fozzdesy2001
If yours has a built-in shut off valve it probably will start leaking at the valve stem. If you plan on servicing the glass bowl make sure you have a new bowl gasket. I like them but a new element style is better and easier to maintaine.

Here is small one: https://www.mfgsupply.com/smallengi...0-1348-universal-fuel-bowl-assembly.html

The ones I have seen on industrial engines also had an filtering element in them. Does the ones shown have a filter element or does the dirt and water drop out ?

Do not overtighten the clamp nut. It's not that the glass would break, but it will distort the pot-metal top part. When the top is no longer flat it won't seal and the whole unit is ruined.

I hate those things. In theory they are supposed to filter particles as well as water out of the fuel. They do work, WHEN they are working. Most of the ones I've had on various pieces of equipment constantly leak. Even the new replacement ones are not very good and end up leaking in short order. A lot of it has to do with the gasket material for the bowl not agreeing with today's ethanol fuels. If you can get ethanol free fuels it isn't a problem, but in my area all grades of fuel have 10% ethanol.

I liked this type of filter (URL included just as an example). I installed a larger version on my 1972 Pontiac. It lasted a lot longer than in-carburetor sintered bronze filter. These allow you to see what's going on like the glass ones, do, but they are sealed.

Clear Plastic Filter

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Most of the ones I've had on various pieces of equipment constantly leak. Even the new replacement ones are not very good and end up leaking in short order.

Here's my $ .02 on it: The older ones that every old tractor used to have (we're talking tractors that have 50-70 years old) work great. They very seldom leaked and did their job.
Then foreign manufacturing came into the equation and now just about any new one is junk. The added alcohol probably doesn't help matters either.

Back