Am i wasting perfectly good oil ?

The solution to pollution is dilution … if one had known dilution and wanted to extend oil life … ?
I'd suggest a fumoto valve and a fresh quart of HD30 mono is about all that can help … 🤓

Probably why oil burners just keep on keeping on …

Last edited:
Originally Posted by UncleDave

I can only proffer that Ive done more than the average guys research on OLM systems and have never seen an E85 modifier in any of the algorithms posted here or elsewhere.

Doesn't mean Im current however.

The GM system is similar to Hondas in that they both use a branched penalty table based on a variety of variables - haven't seen e85 or any fuel modifier in those.

You can get a pretty good idea by this older honda OLM doc. On the software side it looks like everyones analysis tables are pretty similar.

I know Hondas has had close to a decade of refinement and that the 17 ridgeleine was one of the vehicles with the new recalcs.

UD

I wasn't going to that level of granularity as you did but that pretty much sums it up.

Until someone wants an actual instrument package to give true condition based information- the calculated guess based on various curves calculated from constants ( regardless of how defined the equation is) is the best that can be realistically achieved.

If doesn't make any sense that a vehicle capable of using E85 from the factory wouldn't have the OLM take its use into account. The only reason it wouldn't if if the OEM didn't believe E85 causes faster oil degradation which I certainly do not believe would be the case.

Originally Posted by Silver
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
However, I wouldn't do it on E85. I would stick to 5k.

Ethanol shortens oil life?

[Linked Image]

Toyota Link

Last edited:
Wow, interesting but i think it would only be useful if using a non api SN oil. I think it would be overkill with a modern synthetic.

Originally Posted by M119
Wow, interesting but i think it would only be useful if using a non api SN oil. I think it would be overkill with a modern synthetic.

Is that what Toyota says? Does Toyota ever mention anything about using a non-API licensed oil?

Originally Posted by kschachn

Is that what Toyota says? Does Toyota ever mention anything about using a non-API licensed oil?

Api SN is required to battle against the effects of E85. However oils with older API ratings ar still sold around the world and i think this is the reason why they say to change the oil that often. Years ago i used an API SL conventional and after 3000 miles it came out looking milky. Replaced it with a similar oil with an API SN ratings and run it for 5000 or 6000 miles and it came out looking and smelling absolutely normal.

Here in Brazil we use E100 since 1979. When Dino oils were the only option the same 5k kilometers rule for gasoline engines were applied for E100 engines with no issues at all. I have my self a 1993 Chevy Monza 2 liters engine factory E100 and the engine is now with 320.000 kilometers. Now all new cars are factory flex fuel here, and still owner manuals don't make difference for OCI using Gas or E100. Drain intervals varie from 10.000 for 15.000 kilometers running E100 with no issues for the engine or the oil at all. I never saw in my life milky oil in my GM even when drove 6 or 7k kilometers by mistake.

Thanks for the input, Since ethanol is pretty new in France, there's so much discussion about it in the car world. Some people say you absolutely need reinforced valves, valve seats, pistons, catalytic converters etc. Is it true that ethanol will wear those parts quicker on engine not designed to be flexfuel ? I really want to hear about it from people in brazil since i dont speak enough portugese to do researches.

Thanks for the input, Since ethanol is pretty new in France, there's so much discussion about it in the car world. Some people say you absolutely need reinforced valves, valve seats, pistons, catalytic converters etc. Is it true that ethanol will wear those parts quicker on engine not designed to be flexfuel ? I really want to hear about it from people in brazil since i dont speak enough portugese to do researches.

Ethanol in fact don't have the same lubricant capability of gas so to speak. Ethanol is in fact more dry if that does make sense. It's very common here to convert gas engines to E100 specially to turbocharge this engines, since E100 makes much more power with same boost than gas. But, I don't think ethanol will cause any harm to valves, valve seats, maybe they can last a little bit less but that number would be marginal. I've never saw a converted engine have those problemas on the short or medium run. Speak of pistons, there is no problem at all, and using ethanol you will not have those carbon deposits so common when running gas. But it isn't all about good things. With ethanol you have to carefully and more often check fuel filters, all, inside and outside tank, fuel injectors and spark plugs. Fuel filters tend to saturate more rapidly, and fuel injectors too. The water content on ethanol tend to corrode the spark plugs on the medium run.

Like @Christian Berg said, we use E100 since the 80's and until 2003 there were no flex fuel cars. You could have either a neat ethanol car or a gasoline one. The engines on those cars (like the one in mine Kadett and Chris Monza) have little differences (compared to the gas siblings) that have to be addressed to run Ethanol, like:

> Fuel Injectors (only because ethanol needs more fuel)
> Same ECU but with a different configuration (again, more fuel, different ignition and fuel map and cold start)
> Spark plugs (Colder for ethanol use - i use BPR7e, the same engine that runs gas use BPR5e)
>Cold start reservoir ( every cold start some bit of gas is used to make the first flames) Normally they have 1L capacity and can last for 4 months or more, depending on the driving habits)
> Pistons (for more compression/ 12:1 in my car compared to 8,5:1 on the gas sibling)
> Cams ( sometimes, since higher compression + ethanol use = more power, so they use a different cam to take of some HP)

And i think that's it.

Since the introduction of flex cars (2003), they tried to create an engine that would fit in between the two.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot, you guys are answering a lot of questions i always asked myself about the use of ethanol in your country.

Back