0w40 oil Mobil 1

Is it okay to use 0w40 Mobil 1 in my Kubota lawn mower. 24 horsepower Kawasaki please and thank you for your reply.

Yes. I have been using 0W-40 in my 25 hp Kawasaki garden tractor for years. It is an excellent all year round choice. Have used M1 and Castrol flavors. Currently running M1

Run it! The engine will more than likely outlast the mower.
While I currently run whatever 15w40 is on sale (summer heat, air cooled engine), Mobil 1 0w40 or even TDT (in the summer) is about as good as you can get.

Last edited:
I think Mobil 0-40 is one of the best air-cooled engine oils you can get. I use it all of mine, easy to start hot or cold and this oil can take the summer heat.

Originally Posted by polly
Is it okay to use 0w40 Mobil 1 in my Kubota lawn mower. 24 horsepower Kawasaki please and thank you for your reply.

I would only use that in a snow thrower not a mower.

Originally Posted by Lubener

And this is why?

Wait, because it's a "0 weight" oil, right?

Originally Posted by fozzdesy2001
I think Mobil 0-40 is one of the best air-cooled engine oils you can get. I use it all of mine, easy to start hot or cold and this oil can take the summer heat.

Not a bad idea … way cheaper than the Delvac 1 that's in my power gens …

My 25 hp Kawasaki seemed to do better on cold winter starts with the M1 vs Castrol. Mobil1 is an outstanding oil for these engines.

Originally Posted by kschachn

And this is why?

Wait, because it's a "0 weight" oil, right?

But wait, please wait,
there's no need for a 0w- oil in the summer time for a lawn mower.

But wait, please wait,

But if a 0w is thinner to begin with and pumps up faster at startup, the 0w shoul offer wear protection sooner than a 10w or a 15w.
Temperature wouldn't matter here. Summer or Winter - it's still a 40-wt. when the engine is hot.

Originally Posted by Normac
But if a 0w is thinner to begin with and pumps up faster at startup, the 0w shoul offer wear protection sooner than a 10w or a 15w.
Temperature wouldn't matter here. Summer or Winter - it's still a 40-wt. when the engine is hot.

An oil with a 0W winter rating is only thinner at temperatures well below 0F, somewhere around -35F or below. No one is cutting grass at that temperature.

And beyond that, thinner oils do not offer wear protection, only ease of starting. Thick oils are what provide start protection due to the MOFT. It is a misconception that thinner oils provide "protection", it is in fact the other way around. Any oil will pump just the same at lawn mowing temperatures - assuming the lawn mower has an oil pump to begin with. The viscosity is similar between an oil with a 0W-XX, a 5W-XX, a 10W-XX or a 20W-XX oil at any reasonable lawn mowing temperature.

But wait, please wait,

No need but no drawback either. Mobil 1 0W-40 FS has a plethora of manufacturer approvals including Porsche A40 which demonstrates and proves it is a superior oil to just about any on the market - and the price at Walmart makes it a steal.

In fact, the truth is that the Mobil 1 0W-40 FS is probably a better grade for a lawn mower than it is for a snow thrower. A 40-grade oil is always going to be thicker than a corresponding 30-grade except at extremely low temperatures (and it doesn't snow at those temperatures), making it more difficult to start the snow thrower. Correspondingly a 40-grade oil provides better protection and higher MOFT to the air cooled lawn mower.

Overkill posted this a while back, it shows how a Porsche A40 approved oil is ideal for an air-cooled engine:

Originally Posted by Overkill
Here is Porsche A40 testing procedure:

This test will last 203 hours. The engine, and the oil, will go through:
- 4 times the simulation of 35 hours of summer driving,
- 4 times the simulation of 13.5 hours of winter driving,
- 40 cold starts,
- 5 times the simulation of 1-hour sessions on the Nurburgring racetrack,
- 3.5 hours of running-in program
Measurements on the engine and on the oil will be done at regular intervals, and the following parameter
will be taken into account to grant the approval or not:
- torque curve (internal friction),
- oxidation of the oil,
- Piston cleanliness and ring sticking,
- Valve train wear protection. Cam & tappet wear must be less than 10 microns.
- Engine cleanliness and sludge: after 203 hours, no deposits must be visible.
- Bearing wear protection: visual rating according to Porsche in-house method.

Originally Posted by kschachn
An oil with a 0W winter rating is only thinner at temperatures well below 0F, somewhere around -35F or below. No one is cutting grass at that temperature.

And beyond that, thinner oils do not offer wear protection, only ease of starting. Thick oils are what provide start protection due to the MOFT. It is a misconception that thinner oils provide "protection", it is in fact the other way around. Any oil will pump just the same at lawn mowing temperatures - assuming the lawn mower has an oil pump to begin with. The viscosity is similar between an oil with a 0W-XX, a 5W-XX, a 10W-XX or a 20W-XX oil at any reasonable lawn mowing temperature.

If that is true, than all of the oils you listed would pour the same at room temperature. I guarantee you that a 0w or a 5w pours faster out of the bottle than a 15w or 20w at 70-degrees - seen it personally. If the oil is thinner at startup, it pumps up faster (less resistance) and therefore reaches ported corners of the engine faster than a thicker oil. Any oil is better than no oil, and a thinner oil with theoretically get there before a thicker oil. Plus if thinner oils don't provide 'protection', then so many auto manufacturers wouldn't be going that direction.

Dr. Haas would have us all running 0w20 or thinner in everything with an engine - for reasons listed in his papers, but I don't see that happening either.

Last edited:
You can use the Widman calculator and plotter to plot out a 0W-30, a 5W-30 and a 10W-30 yourself and see how the viscosity tracks at summertime temperatures. Yes, a 5W-20 is thinner than a 5W-40 or 15W-40 at those temperatures, but a 0W-40 will not be thinner until extremely low temperatures. At warmer temperatures the viscosity is dictated by the second number, not the winter rating. A 0W-30 will not pour out faster than a 5W-30 at 70 degrees, in fact it may be thicker.

And no, manufacturers go for thinner oils for fuel economy, not "protection". A thicker oil with a higher MOFT is always better for protecting the engine. Anyone who tries to tell you that thinner oils give better protection does not know what they are talking about.

The next time you're at a store with oil, shake a bottle of 0w40 and a bottle of 10w40 and see which one is thicker. Please use the clear strip on the side and see which one reacts the quickest. Yes, there is a difference. We were taking about 40-weight oils, no need to mention a 0w20 for comparison. That's apples to oranges.

That's all I have to say and this in no way helps the OP, time to move on and get this thread back on topic.

Last edited:
Yes they may because it's a grade after all. Two 40-grade oils are not necessarily the same viscosity. But it's not due to the winter rating. For example the old German Castrol 0W-30 was thicker than any ILSAC 5W-30 on the market except at very, very low temperatures.

Originally Posted by Normac
But wait, please wait,

Show me a manufacturer of a small engine used for LAWN equipment that recommends 0W-40. If you have the facts otherwise it is just an opinion.

It's just an opinion that commercial lawn services in the south use 15w40 in OPE …
Or HDEO in outboard motors …
Dozens of examples here and part of the purpose of this website …

Back