Has has technology advanced

Have oils made it to the point where even the cheapest oil on the shelf will provide long engine life? I feel like we are splitting hairs here looking for differences between oils. What do you think?

Originally Posted by Jetstreamz06
Have oils made it to the point where even the cheapest oil on the shelf will provide long engine life? I feel like we are splitting hairs here looking for differences between oils. What do you think?

This is what BITOG is all about, well at least for me with oil. I am always looking for the best oil, right now I am using PUP but I am thinking about Mobil 1 EP.

Kind of like bottled water - Just buy the one with the nicest design and be happy with it
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Well sure it has just look at this!

[Linked Image]

It's those new bottles designed not to glug.

Originally Posted by Brian123

This is what BITOG is all about, well at least for me with oil. I am always looking for the best oil, right now I am using PUP but I am thinking about Mobil 1 EP.

Just made the switch to M1 EP. Great monthly deal going on at auto parts store, also.

I do believe that you are probably right about this.
For regular everyday driving cars and trucks as long as they are maintained very well.

For race cars, drag cars and or off roading racing trucks... Oil technology advances are continuing to help with performance and longevity of parts.

And some people like running the bestest or near bestest oil in their regular vehicles... Just because it makes them feel even better. And nothing wrong with that either in my opinion.

Originally Posted by OilReport99

Kind of like bottled water - Just buy the one with the nicest design and be happy with it
smile.gif

Bottled water brands don't all taste the same. There's even taste differences with the generic brands.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Well sure it has just look at this!

[Linked Image]

It's those new bottles designed not to glug.

lol.gif

Good point. He is holding it wrong anyway ... If you want less or no glug that's not how you pour it.

I go to my Hyundai dealer.
New filter,new drain plug gasket and some kind of semi-synthetic oil.
And they wash the car.
With the coupons they send me it's $40.00.
And they have great coffee in the waiting room.
How could it get any better?

You are not splitting hairs if you own either some Korean or General Motors TGDI / GDIs.

Originally Posted by blufeb95
Most cars will rust out or have the tranny die long before the engine wears out.

That was certainly the case a decade ago before small displacement GDI/turbo engines.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

You are not splitting hairs if you own either some Korean or General Motors TGDI / GDIs.

+1 Some engines have pretty specific requirements. My Focus sure doesn't so I run whatever's on sale.

My Colorado is like your Focus...... doesn't really care.
thumbsup2.gif

I don't think our Kia 2.0MPI is going to care either. But until the warranty expires, I'm running upper shelf SP / GF6 / probably more Dexos 1 / Gen 2 oils.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

I look at a Soul owners site and a couple of Facebook pages. My '17 Soul+ is pushing eighty thousand and is using a bit more than a quart over a 5K OCI. I'm OCD about checking my dipstick several times a week. Especially the Facebook sites, I'm struck by people complaining about two liter burnout. Usually the oil light comes on, they pull over and the engine is cooked. Most are in their twenties, have named their car ----and (from their postings) don't know where the dipstick is.

I'm a geezer who's had forty cars and never named one, you don't hear names on BITOG.

Last edited:
We wouldn't have bought the 2020 2.0, had it contained a turbo. When we saw all the many cosmetic changes to the exterior - then saw the change from TGDI to MPI, that sold my wife on her new ride.

I belong to a couple different Kia forums. You should consider a trade-in or sell, on that 2017 2.0TDGI with 75k. I'm going to keep a close eye on threads and replies concerning our 2020. As of today, there's a little finger-pointing to the quality of the new transmission in our 2020.

I have never bailed-out on a new vehicle purchase since 1980. Kept all of them from birth to rust 18 years later. But these two Korean models I have will be on a short leash. If the trending goes south on either one, I'll permanently remove it from our driveway.

I came to that conclusion last year and went from a life time user of M1 to SuperTech.

Back