e-bike conversion kit

Has anyone converted their mountain bike to electric?
what happens to all your gears ... worth the trouble?

I put a gas motor on mine... inspired by Pablo on this board.

My sprocket mounted on the other side of the rim, so I had two. It had only one speed. It cruised at 22 mph and could do 29 in screamin' mode. The factory brakes were next to useless, the vibration killed my hand. Not a problem with electric though.

They also have systems that roll a rubber wheel against the outside of your tire, or that have a replacement hub/ motor.

I could see the value in a commuter application but i do find it somewhat confusing when I see these on multi-use pathways... Still, might be a fun project just for the sake of tinkering.

A friend converted a fat tire bike. He used a powerful front wheel hub-motor and a large lithium battery pack. It's flat out fantastic.

I have 6 bikes and I'm not a purist and won't judge. To each his own. Just my feeling the bike is all about you and how you make it work. To have to rely on any motor to get me up a hill defeats the purpose and the freedom of the bike for me. And I say this speaking for me and me alone. I'm not against progress or choices and respect others decisions. For me anyway, if I have to rely on a motor it's not cycling.

I say all this as I am not the typical cyclist. I'm big and broad!!!!

Road Bike: Trek Domane SLR 6
Gravel Bike: Kish titanium frame I built up.
Fatty: Trek Farey 7 with a few wheel sets.
Fatty: Trek Farley 9 with a few wheel sets.
Trek Remedy 7 29er (My favorite ever)
Trek Remedy 9+ 27.5

Love my bikes!!!!!!!!!!!! Even more than vehicles.

In Calgary, downtown is along the river valley and the close-in hoods are up in the hills. It's a PITA to ride uphill after working all day, especially if you are fighting the prevalent west wind. There definitely is a place for E bikes.

I assume you can still pedal without assistance but going up a nasty hill and instead of hearing the clicking and clunking sounds of gears changing before you come to a complete stop
shocked2.gif
... you'll have the e-thingy to assist.

I was against them for a while and still on the fence but they can be fun and can extend your range.
Does the battery charge when pedaling?

Originally Posted by eljefino
I put a gas motor on mine... inspired by Pablo on this board.

My sprocket mounted on the other side of the rim, so I had two. It had only one speed. It cruised at 22 mph and could do 29 in screamin' mode. The factory brakes were next to useless, the vibration killed my hand. Not a problem with electric though.

They also have systems that roll a rubber wheel against the outside of your tire, or that have a replacement hub/ motor.

that would be a fun project ... Do they smell or too noisy?

Originally Posted by OilUzer
I assume you can still pedal without assistance but going up a nasty hill and instead of hearing the clicking and clunking sounds of gears changing before you come to a complete stop
shocked2.gif
... you'll have the e-thingy to assist.

I was against them for a while and still on the fence but they can be fun and can extend your range.

Im 74 and demoed an ebike 2 years ago and they are nice and will really spoil you, but we got 2 standard Cannondales street bikes instead and we are happy,,,now if I get to where I am physically not able to pedal well, an ebike would be nice..imho

Originally Posted by OilUzer

Hopefully only while going downhill--it's hard enough work to bike as it is!

I have a "Specialized" Vado e-bike. My riding has shown probably a full range of 70 miles of assist.

You get what you pay for.

Pretty easy and fun

http://sickbikeparts.com/electric-shifter-kit-programmable-3000w/

Of course the expensive part is a GOOD battery. A 10C 12AH (36V or up to 72V) battery will just be a waste of money and may not even drive the bike. A 20C and up will be $400 and up, but there are a few very near $400. Take care of the battery, charge and discharge it properly, bring it inside when below 30°F or so, and it should last beyond the rated cycles.

Back