HM oils - which are conventional (not syn-blend)?

Are all HM oils syn blend?
Are there any HM oils that's easily found which are NOT a syn blend? As in conventional.

I am not 100% sure but is Pennzoil a "conventional" HM oil?
EDIT: NOPE. Looks like it's also a syn blend !!! So are there NO conventional HM oils at all?

Valvoline ML, Castrol GTX, Mobil 1 HM, QS HM ... they all seem to be syn blend.

I am specifically interested in the 5/20 and 5/30 varieties.

Last edited:
Pretty sure they are all syn-blends, bc they all use esters as seal-conditioning agents.

They always have, they are now just using it as a marketing term.

Every SN+ oil up to 5w30 is a blend (unless they have some of that super Exxon Mobil super Group II base stocks), no matter what it says on the label. I assume SP moves the needle further to the group III level. Be interesting to see how the syn/blend/conventional marketing will be in another decade.

Conventional oil for gasoline vehicles are slowly going bye-bye. The Four Horseman -- 0w30, 0w20, 0w16 and 0w8 say so. None of em' are conventional-only.
That makes it even harder to find a HM, if you are running an Ow oil.

I have-yet to see a synthetic blend in 0w16 or 0w8. So synthetic blends may have a limited life someday, unless rules change, as they did when Group2+ was formulated and thrown into the synthetic pool. The ingenious oil scientists come up with new stuff all the time .

By their website, it looks like Peak HM oil is conventional. I'm not sure if Dollar General still sells Peak or not. They used to. I've used their conventional oil when I've caught it on sale, but never their high-mileage oil.

Excuse me, I've posted this several times. The risks of labeling can have odd marketing effects. When Valvoline relabeled its lighter weights of Daily Protection from conventional to synthetic blend (same stuff, new label), some customers gave negative reviews because "they dropped real oil for some phony synthetic stuff". Can't beat ignorance but I'm sure every manufacturer is walking a thin marketing line.

My son has been using ST 10W40 HM oil in his 250K mile '96 Toyota Corolla for awhile now. The oil pan gasket leak has slowed down tremendously.
Is ST HM a syn blend or conventional?
confused2.gif

synthetic means nothing these days except how to milk the consumer ...

in general the less expensive the oil, the less synthetic i.e. the more conventional/dino.

If you stay away from 0W and even 5W and find a regular price cheap oil (i.e. not on sale) then the odds are you are closer to dino.

or you can call Gokhan or his .xlsx on this site may help.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
My son has been using ST 10W40 HM oil in his 250K mile '96 Toyota Corolla for awhile now. The oil pan gasket leak has slowed down tremendously.
Is ST HM a syn blend or conventional?
confused2.gif

Like all oil 5w30 and down probably blend, 10w30 and up probably conventional. With SP anybody's guess.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OilUzer
synthetic means nothing these days except how to milk the consumer ...

in general the less expensive the oil, the less synthetic i.e. the more conventional/dino.

If you stay away from 0W and even 5W and find a regular price cheap oil (i.e. not on sale) then the odds are you are closer to dino.

or you can call Gokhan or his .xlsx on this site may help.

Group 3 in 5w20 and 5w30 is pretty constant and varies more by weight than brand. Just under 50% group 3 good SN+.

Originally Posted by 97tbird
Are there any HM oils that's easily found which are NOT a syn blend? As in conventional.

You might as well hunt for dinosaurs. Why do you want a "conventional"?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Conventional oil for gasoline vehicles are slowly going bye-bye....

Yeah, it is almost more expensive to buy a "conventional" or even blend nowadays or not worth the bother for the pennies you save...

Originally Posted by 97tbird

I am not 100% sure but is Pennzoil a "conventional" HM oil?
EDIT: NOPE. Looks like it's also a syn blend !!! So are there NO conventional HM oils at all?

Valvoline ML, Castrol GTX, Mobil 1 HM, QS HM ... they all seem to be syn blend.

you've basically answered your own question.
there's hardly even "conventional" oil anymore. Most that might be labeled as such are really blends to be in compliance with the newer API Standards.
SN to an extent, and Definitely SN+, and SP almost require a blend. (please don't ask me for specifics, though i know someone on here knows the standards backwards and forwards, I am most certainly NOT that person.)

Back