Shredder oil

+1 on silicone spray. Last week my shredder was suddenly lugging even after clearing all debris.
One slow spray across the width of the cutters, while running, restored free-running operation.
It had been years since I lubricated it, so it was overdue!
No odor, no mess (I am also sensitive to odors).
I do not know about the flammability of this lubricant or the propellant - good point.
I view it as adequate for this application.
The office supply stores sell a vegetable-based lubricant, which is great.

Purchase a bottle from a commercial stationery store. I purchased a new shredder about ten years ago and it came with a bottle of oil. Still have most of it as it doesn't take much to lube the cutters. Regards

I bought some at some point, well, my shredder still died after like two years. Junk made in China garbage from Target.

Canola oil

Or any kitchen grease, sunflower, vegetable...

No to white lithium, had an amazing fireball...

There are special lubricant sheets that one can buy from places like Staples also before spraying make sure the shredding gears are not plastic, if they are lubricant may not work well if at all. If the shredder was cheap chances are it is made of plastic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tom slick
Don't spray anything directly into the shredder while it is running, the propellant will go boom. I know from experience.
Spray a piece of paper and shred it

+1

I use cooking spray

Originally Posted by Pelican
There are special lubricant sheets that one can buy from places like Staples also before spraying make sure the shredding gears are not plastic, if they are lubricant may not work well if at all. If the shredder was cheap chances are it is made of plastic.

That is what I do. Get them from Amazon.

Originally Posted by Pelican

Yeah, I get the sheets. The shredder at work is probably 2+ years old now and works like new. I've put maybe five lubricant sheets through it in that time, and it gets pretty heavy use.

Originally Posted by mattwithcats
Canola oil

Or any kitchen grease, sunflower, vegetable...

No to white lithium, had an amazing fireball...

WD-40 can produce a fire ball too ... did it myself, lol.

Take a sheet of legal size paper. Spray it liberally side to side with WD-40. Shred it.
Long-term, how does WD-40 hold up? In everything that I've seen sprayed with WD-40, it turns to a gummy mess with hard varnish after a while.

I would think that would gum up and ruin the shredder.

Shredder oil works fine in my shredder. Sure, it's $8 at Office Depot...but after two years, I still have half the bottle left. I do an oiling each time I empty the basket.

My shredder came with a bottle light amber oil. After it ran out, I just started using an old leftover bottle of PP 5W-30. Squirt it in while blades are spinning, run it another minute, then empty the shredder down to the last inch of shreds. No mess, no odor. Cheap shredder, 4 years old now.

Back