Money Exchange for Out of State Buy?

Am looking at a motorcycle for sale out of state by priv party . I'd need to have it shipped so there will be no face to face exchange. Main question is how does he transfer title and bill of sale on his part and money on my part so that both at safe?

Money transfer can be done bank to bank. Then you have a solid transaction record.
The title transfer, at least in CA, can be done on line.
The DMV website will let you know what you need. Typically a signed pink and bill of sale.

Originally Posted by tc1446
Am looking at a motorcycle for sale out of state by priv party . I'd need to have it shipped so there will be no face to face exchange. Main question is how does he transfer title and bill of sale on his part and money on my part so that both at safe?

The safest way is the funds being a US Postal Money Order sent Priority Mail with tracking. Paperwork: Priority Mail, Return Receipt. Any other answer is wrong.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Originally Posted by tc1446

The safest way is the funds being a US Postal Money Order sent Priority Mail with tracking. Paperwork: Priority Mail, Return Receipt. Any other answer is wrong.

US Postal Money Orders can be a total headache if they get lost. Had it happen one time, and despite tracking it took the USPS 6 weeks to verify it was truly lost and never cashed. USPS Postal Money Orders can also only be for up to $1,000, so if you are trying to send more than that it might not be the best option.

Finding a shipping company that will handle it is the best option. They give the check (preferably a cashier's check from your bank) to the seller of the motorcycle when they pick it up. The seller gives them the bike, bill of sale and the title. Or something like that...

Originally Posted by ryster

US Postal Money Orders can be a total headache if they get lost. Had it happen one time, and despite tracking it took the USPS 6 weeks to verify it was truly lost and never cashed. USPS Postal Money Orders can also only be for up to $1,000, so if you are trying to send more than that it might not be the best option.

Finding a shipping company that will handle it is the best option. They give the check (preferably a cashier's check from your bank) to the seller of the motorcycle when they pick it up. The seller gives them the bike, bill of sale and the title. Or something like that...

Hence, sending it Priority Mail with tracking. More to the point, this adds a lot of protection...because it makes any sort of deception from the seller felony mail fraud!

I guess the selling state is not disclosed?

They might have to do some sort of smog inspection.

They might need to notarize the title, with your presence, or have an excuse like distance as to why that's not filled out. They might need to keep the plate with the vehicle, or transfer it.

Asking us for legal advise without knowing which of the 57 states and territories are involved is foolish.

Do you have a friend or relative in this area where it is? Whenever I've bought out of state if I don't travel to see it I make sure someone I trust is there to take a look. They can also act as liaison for payment and title transfer.

Originally Posted by eljefino
I guess the selling state is not disclosed?

They might have to do some sort of smog inspection.

They might need to notarize the title, with your presence, or have an excuse like distance as to why that's not filled out. They might need to keep the plate with the vehicle, or transfer it.

Asking us for legal advise without knowing which of the 57 states and territories are involved is foolish.

None of this matters, because he is registering it in his home state, not where he is buying it.

He is not asking for legal advise.

Back