Recent Topics
How To Remove Overspray On Aluminum Wheels?
by NDL - 07/02/20 07:16 AM
Gas Buddy Card to pay?
by Redright9 - 07/02/20 04:35 AM
Pentosin Mania
by Snagglefoot - 07/01/20 11:30 PM
Spills. Synthetic vs petrolium
by Chris142 - 07/01/20 10:35 PM
Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season 4
by FordFocus - 07/01/20 10:04 PM
NGK Ruthenium Spark Plugs
by Deontologist - 07/01/20 07:49 PM
Ram Truck Speaker Upgrade Questions
by edhackett - 07/01/20 07:41 PM
OLM SCREWED UP
by demarpaint - 07/01/20 06:12 PM
Have Valvoline European 5w-40. Use in Cummins?
by RetiredGuyOR - 07/01/20 06:06 PM
Change in evaporation rate over time?
by mosschops - 07/01/20 05:56 PM
17 Golf overzealous OLM/Minder
by lawrencerd - 07/01/20 04:24 PM
First cell phone
by Chris142 - 07/01/20 04:08 PM
Motorcraft FL836 Specifications
by viscous - 07/01/20 03:41 PM
Chipmunks - Damit.
by PontiacHO - 07/01/20 03:37 PM
27/18k portable genset oil.
by 1978elcamino - 07/01/20 03:31 PM
Saw a new BMW and had to do a double take.
by wemay - 07/01/20 02:55 PM
Newest Members
bigmike323, SolsticeSHO, Bazza32, Klink_II, williamshrader
71828 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
94 registered members (1978elcamino, ArrestMeRedZ, 2015_PSD, 64bawagon, alarmguy, anpconnors, 6 invisible), 1,286 guests, and 27 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics307,393
Posts5,309,707
Members71,828
Most Online4,538
Jan 20th, 2020
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Money Exchange for Out of State Buy? #5448238 06/07/20 10:23 AM
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,213
T
tc1446 Online Content OP
OP Online Content
T
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,213
Am looking at a motorcycle for sale out of state by priv party . I'd need to have it shipped so there will be no face to face exchange. Main question is how does he transfer title and bill of sale on his part and money on my part so that both at safe?


'14 Kia Soul, 2.0L (29K)
'13 Accord EX-L 2.4L (110K) M1 & FU
'00 Ford Ranger 4.0L {69K} M1 & FU
'18 Polaris Slingshot 2.4L GM (QS & Bosch Cart.)
'07 Kioti CK-30 (Delo & Wix)
Re: Money Exchange for Out of State Buy? [Re: tc1446] #5448240 06/07/20 10:26 AM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,206
A
Audios Offline
Offline
A
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,206
Sometimes the shipping company will handle it, you may want to talk to the carrier.


2002 VW Golf TDI-T5 10/30
2007 Mercedes GL320 CDI-T6 5/40
2005 BMW M3 BMW-Twin Power 10/60
2003 BMW M5-M1 15/50
1998 BMW M3/4/5-M1 10/40
Re: Money Exchange for Out of State Buy? [Re: tc1446] #5448245 06/07/20 10:33 AM
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,024
J
JeffKeryk Offline
Offline
J
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,024
Money transfer can be done bank to bank. Then you have a solid transaction record.
The title transfer, at least in CA, can be done on line.
The DMV website will let you know what you need. Typically a signed pink and bill of sale.


2018 Tesla Model 3, Medium Range Battery
2018 Lexus RX450h
2013 Lexus GS350 F Sport
2006 Acura TSX
2001 Tundra Access Cab, 1998 Accord LX, 1968 Corvette L36 Roadster, 1965 Olds 4-4-2
Re: Money Exchange for Out of State Buy? [Re: tc1446] #5448259 06/07/20 11:03 AM
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,783
J
Jarlaxle Offline
Offline
J
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,783
Originally Posted by tc1446
Am looking at a motorcycle for sale out of state by priv party . I'd need to have it shipped so there will be no face to face exchange. Main question is how does he transfer title and bill of sale on his part and money on my part so that both at safe?



The safest way is the funds being a US Postal Money Order sent Priority Mail with tracking. Paperwork: Priority Mail, Return Receipt. Any other answer is wrong.


1979 Coupe de Ville, 542 stroker, Super Tech 15W-40, Super Tech filter
2013 Challenger SRT8 Core, Valvoline synthetic 0W-40, Purolator
2011 Sportster 883, SYN3 20W-50, HD black
Re: Money Exchange for Out of State Buy? [Re: Jarlaxle] #5448261 06/07/20 11:11 AM
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 176
R
ryster Offline
Offline
R
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 176
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Originally Posted by tc1446
Am looking at a motorcycle for sale out of state by priv party . I'd need to have it shipped so there will be no face to face exchange. Main question is how does he transfer title and bill of sale on his part and money on my part so that both at safe?



The safest way is the funds being a US Postal Money Order sent Priority Mail with tracking. Paperwork: Priority Mail, Return Receipt. Any other answer is wrong.



US Postal Money Orders can be a total headache if they get lost. Had it happen one time, and despite tracking it took the USPS 6 weeks to verify it was truly lost and never cashed. USPS Postal Money Orders can also only be for up to $1,000, so if you are trying to send more than that it might not be the best option.

Finding a shipping company that will handle it is the best option. They give the check (preferably a cashier's check from your bank) to the seller of the motorcycle when they pick it up. The seller gives them the bike, bill of sale and the title. Or something like that...


2015 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
3.6L V6
Re: Money Exchange for Out of State Buy? [Re: ryster] #5448315 06/07/20 12:40 PM
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,783
J
Jarlaxle Offline
Offline
J
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,783
Originally Posted by ryster


US Postal Money Orders can be a total headache if they get lost. Had it happen one time, and despite tracking it took the USPS 6 weeks to verify it was truly lost and never cashed. USPS Postal Money Orders can also only be for up to $1,000, so if you are trying to send more than that it might not be the best option.

Finding a shipping company that will handle it is the best option. They give the check (preferably a cashier's check from your bank) to the seller of the motorcycle when they pick it up. The seller gives them the bike, bill of sale and the title. Or something like that...


Hence, sending it Priority Mail with tracking. More to the point, this adds a lot of protection...because it makes any sort of deception from the seller felony mail fraud!


1979 Coupe de Ville, 542 stroker, Super Tech 15W-40, Super Tech filter
2013 Challenger SRT8 Core, Valvoline synthetic 0W-40, Purolator
2011 Sportster 883, SYN3 20W-50, HD black
Re: Money Exchange for Out of State Buy? [Re: tc1446] #5448343 06/07/20 01:31 PM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 35,759
E
eljefino Offline
Offline
E
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 35,759
I guess the selling state is not disclosed?

They might have to do some sort of smog inspection.

They might need to notarize the title, with your presence, or have an excuse like distance as to why that's not filled out. They might need to keep the plate with the vehicle, or transfer it.

Asking us for legal advise without knowing which of the 57 states and territories are involved is foolish.

Re: Money Exchange for Out of State Buy? [Re: eljefino] #5448588 06/07/20 07:34 PM
Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 104
T
tbm5690 Offline
Offline
T
Joined: Apr 2020
Posts: 104
Do you have a friend or relative in this area where it is? Whenever I've bought out of state if I don't travel to see it I make sure someone I trust is there to take a look. They can also act as liaison for payment and title transfer.


2014 Acura MDX Tech SH-AWD
2014 Nissan Maxima SV Sport/Tech
2007 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C
Re: Money Exchange for Out of State Buy? [Re: eljefino] #5448642 06/07/20 09:13 PM
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,783
J
Jarlaxle Offline
Offline
J
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,783
Originally Posted by eljefino
I guess the selling state is not disclosed?

They might have to do some sort of smog inspection.

They might need to notarize the title, with your presence, or have an excuse like distance as to why that's not filled out. They might need to keep the plate with the vehicle, or transfer it.

Asking us for legal advise without knowing which of the 57 states and territories are involved is foolish.


None of this matters, because he is registering it in his home state, not where he is buying it.

He is not asking for legal advise.


1979 Coupe de Ville, 542 stroker, Super Tech 15W-40, Super Tech filter
2013 Challenger SRT8 Core, Valvoline synthetic 0W-40, Purolator
2011 Sportster 883, SYN3 20W-50, HD black
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™