2017 Toyota Sienna AWD

Wife and I are considering looking at a 2017 Toyota Sienna Limited Premium AWD. Has the colors / features we want, good price, only problem is that it is AWD. Just don't have a use for AWD here and I prefer not to have it on cars because it's more stuff to break and takes up space that's helpful to have when working on / under a vehicle (I do all maintenance and repairs myself.)

That said, finding the Limited/Premium package around here without driving a couple hundred miles or more is tough, so I could live with the AWD, if for nothing other than the resale value. But I have some questions about how it works and what components are involved. I'm guess it's the standard transverse engine layout with a transfer case bolted to the side of the transmission, and normal driveshaft / differential for the rear? Or is it something fancier? I'm aware some cars have nothing but electric motors for the rear wheels and they call it AWD. Just wondering what kind of extra maintenance the AWD system will require, and any input on how it works or its expected reliability would be helpful.

edit: also I just realized that 2017 model engines come with direct injection and a new 8 speed transmission. Any concern with these features? I've read a lot of horror stories about carbon fouling on DI engines but not sure if it applies to this particular engine. Know nothing about Toyota's 8-speed, has this been a reliable unit and who makes it?

I don't know about the current Gen of AWD Sienna, but the older AWD Sienna's were know for eating tires.

I owned a 1998 Sienna and was happy with it. Only FWD. Personally I would wait to find a FWD Sienna if I were to ever buy another Sienna.

I would visit SiennaChat to see what real owners say about them .

https://www.siennachat.com/forums/

Last edited:
How many miles per year? and expected length of ownership? I mean, if you're 5 and done, at a nominal 15k/year, then I wouldn't worry about it. Your sig line shows some older vehicles so it seems like you tend to own for the long haul. I'm not sure I would worry about the AWD components that much--yes, it's more stuff to break, but I don't think a rear wheel bearing is that much different than a front wheel bearing, and either could go on any vehicle. Pretty sure all minivans are known for chewing up tires.

But if you don't want AWD then don't. I'd open up the search area though. Couple hundred miles isn't that far.

Going on, have you sized up tire replacement costs and how hard it is to service the transmission? Some of us on BITOG flip our wigs with sealed transmissions, whether a fluid is certified (or not), DI, AFM, and so forth.

To play devil's advocate, why not something else? I believe all the other minivan makers are FWD-only.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
I just realized that 2017 model engines come with direct injection and a new 8 speed transmission. Any concern with these features? I've read a lot of horror stories about carbon fouling on DI engines but not sure if it applies to this particular engine. Know nothing about Toyota's 8-speed, has this been a reliable unit and who makes it?
Toyota is using dual fuel injection systems, both direct and port. No problems with carbon build-up or oil dilution with this system. Other manufacturers are now going with this because of DI issues.
The transmission is another story. Toyota had problems with the early 8-speeds, specifically, in that year model with AWD. Read-up on it. It would be wise to find out what warranty/recall work has been done to this Sienna. If the transmission has been replaced it should be good-to-go.
The AWD systems on the Siennas have been quite reliable and not really a maintenance problem.
One other thing to consider, the AWD Siennas do not come with a spare tire, and as a result, they come with run-flat tires (which are more expensive and generally crappy). Some people have a problem with not having a spare. Personally, it wouldn't bother me. I have never used the spare on my Sienna in the almost 16 years that I have owned it. Additionally, if I owned it, I would not purchase run-flats to replace the original tires. I would purchase better non run flat tires and a roadside assistance policy that includes towing.

I have a FWD now.

The transmission was replaced when it was 18K miles under new car warranty.
You will feel it when it is bad because it feel sluggish and have whining noise.

Toyota did extend the warranty beyond new car warranty so if it goes bad, they will replace it.

The replacement transmission is good and never gave me any issue so far at around 55K miles.

I had a 2015 AWD Limited Premium. The engine and transmission changed in 2017, but the overall body design has been the same since 2011. (My family also owned an early 2012 FWD XLE)

One item to look out for - the AWD models use Bridgestone run-flat tires. If the prior owner switched them to non run-flats, you'll want to have some options available in the event of a flat tire.

Here's an old post on my ownership experience, including a follow up.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-toyota-sienna-limited-awd-3-year-review

Last edited:
Mine, not AWD have spare tires but I bought a full size wheel and tires.
I bring it for long distance driving through the night.
Otherwise, I just rely on donut spare tire.

Originally Posted by Slick17601
Great vans but the AWD comes with awful run flat tires and no spare.

Bridgestone Driveguard
smile.gif

Pretty sure the rims still take standard tires? Find a spare and while it'd be annoying to take up trunk space, maybe it is only needed when taking long trips (and it can live under all the luggage for the trip). Run the runflats until replacement and then get "fix" those with new tires that aren't run flat.

Originally Posted by supton

Pretty sure the rims still take standard tires? Find a spare and while it'd be annoying to take up trunk space, maybe it is only needed when taking long trips (and it can live under all the luggage for the trip). Run the runflats until replacement and then get "fix" those with new tires that aren't run flat.
Toyota uses standard size rims. Honda is the one that had metric size rims.
For several years now some new cars have been coming without spare tires and don't have run flats. Most include a flat repair sealant, like Slime, and a 12v powered tire inflator. This is the route I would take rather than carrying a spare tire in the back taking up cargo room. And, like I said before, If I were really paranoid about it I would pay for a good roadside assistance policy that has towing. Personally, I am not paranoid about having a flat tire and not having a spare. I have not had a flat tire or a blow-out on the road in MANY years. A nail or screw and a leak, yes. Easy enough to get handled. A flat tire, no.

When shopping for our used Sienna many years ago, I specifically excluded AWD versions from our search. Since we tend to use our vehicles long term, I saw no need to have something potentially very expensive (yet not that useful even here) to fix.

Originally Posted by wag123
Originally Posted by supton

Toyota uses standard size rims. Honda is the one that had metric size rims.
For several years now some new cars have been coming without spare tires and don't have run flats. Most include a flat repair sealant, like Slime, and a 12v powered tire inflator. This is the route I would take rather than carrying a spare tire in the back taking up cargo room. And, like I said before, If I were really paranoid about it I would pay for a good roadside assistance policy that has towing. Personally, I am not paranoid about having a flat tire and not having a spare. I have not had a flat tire or a blow-out on the road in MANY years. A nail or screw and a leak, yes. Easy enough to get handled. A flat tire, no.

I haven't had a flat in years either, but TBH I don't mind being prepared "just in case". In particular on a long trip. For just around town, where someone could always run home and get a spare (phone a friend), fine, ditch it. Once you start to get 100+ miles from home on who knows what day of the week, and then it seems like cheap insurance.

Don't really care about the lack of a spare tire. But after doing more research, having AWD omits more than just the spare tire; there's some other features you lose as well which is a deal breaker. If I'm paying for Limited/Premium I want those features. Will definitely skip this one, not in a hurry so will keep looking.

Don't really care about the lack of a spare tire. But after doing more research, having AWD omits more than just the spare tire; there's some other features you lose as well which is a deal breaker. If I'm paying for Limited/Premium I want those features. Will definitely skip this one, not in a hurry so will keep looking.

What are other features you lose?
I have 2015 Limited with AWD.
Car will come with Bridgestone DriveGuard tires. DriveGuard's are horrid tires (from comfort level, but than Bridgestone is generally heavy tire), and believe it or not, better than rest of Bridgestone RFT line up. Bridgestone is just really bad in RFT department. I have two sets of tires, 18" for summer and 17" for winter with snow tires and steel rims. You can absolutely move to normal tires, which I did for winter, and will do for summer once DriveGuard's are done. On top of that you are talking simplistic suspension, so RFT's are really out of place. I have spare, I just threw it in cargo compartment, secured it and that is it. Even if I have RFT's on, if road trip, I always haul spare.
Another thing with AWD is torque steer. In FWD version torque steer is there and every time you step on it it will remind you that you are actually driving raised up Camry. AWD helps A LOT with that although you still feel it a bit, but in wet and especially in snow, you will appreciate it. Also, Sienna is super heavy in front, AWD will help a bit with weight balance.
If you doing a lot of road trips, you might appreciate AWD. It is simple AWD, not known for issues, does not require any special fluid (TC takes 75W85 GL5 as well as rear diff.) and in case hypothetically if TC fails, it is not expensive.
However, 2017 be aware of 8 speed transmission. I specifically went with 2015 bcs. of that when I was buying used.

Wife and I are considering looking at a 2017 Toyota Sienna Limited Premium AWD. Has the colors / features we want, good price, only problem is that it is AWD. Just don't have a use for AWD here and I prefer not to have it on cars because it's more stuff to break and takes up space that's helpful to have when working on / under a vehicle (I do all maintenance and repairs myself.)

That said, finding the Limited/Premium package around here without driving a couple hundred miles or more is tough, so I could live with the AWD, if for nothing other than the resale value. But I have some questions about how it works and what components are involved. I'm guess it's the standard transverse engine layout with a transfer case bolted to the side of the transmission, and normal driveshaft / differential for the rear? Or is it something fancier? I'm aware some cars have nothing but electric motors for the rear wheels and they call it AWD. Just wondering what kind of extra maintenance the AWD system will require, and any input on how it works or its expected reliability would be helpful.

edit: also I just realized that 2017 model engines come with direct injection and a new 8 speed transmission. Any concern with these features? I've read a lot of horror stories about carbon fouling on DI engines but not sure if it applies to this particular engine. Know nothing about Toyota's 8-speed, has this been a reliable unit and who makes it?

The DI 3.5L engines require spark plug changes every 60K along with a vacuum pump replacement every 120K. Both are big ticket items if you cannot DIY.

I have not seen issues with the 8-speeds aside from shift quality complaints. Installing the most updated software will make the driveability better.

Originally Posted by The Critic
I have not seen issues with the 8-speeds aside from shift quality complaints. Installing the most updated software will make the driveability better.

Vacuum pump on a spark ignition engine, what gives?

Curious why the 60k spark plug interval considering nearly all others are iridium/platinum lasting 100k or more..

I do all repairs (within reason) and maintenance myself so not a deal breaker by any means.

Originally Posted by edyvw
What are other features you lose?

The ones that I remember off the top of my head was the premium reclining/lounge second row seats are omitted and somehow the way the 3rd row seats fold down is either eliminated or compromised. I don't know if it applies to 2015 but it was specifically mentioned as a trade off for an AWD 2017 model on a Sienna forum.

Vacuum pump on a spark ignition engine, what gives?

Will guess that it makes the brake pedal feel the same no matter what. That and maybe they have an Atkinson cycle going on, under part load, where the intake valve is staying open longer, and running large throttle opening, and running into low vacuum signal being generated--all in the name of low pumping losses.

Curious why the 60k spark plug interval considering nearly all others are iridium/platinum lasting 100k or more..

Beats me. High cylinder pressures, multiple spark events, unacceptable performance at the 100k mark? Too many stuck plugs in the past on similar engines?
21.gif

Back