a sad day for our family

this babe got sold today after 20 years being a part of our family

first off, we were gauging what to to with it so I took a route to couple of junkyards to try to get some $ today; The first one said there is no such market for the car; Next junkyard the guy said $150, saying what i'm going to do with 300K miles vehicle, great; next stop, the guy look the images of the car and he praises the car, offers $300 the most

After some of reflection I decide to put it up on FB market place and instantly the phone was going crazy... long story short we sold it in matter of 2hrs for $500, lots of people were interested at the same time

Pros: strong AC to this day, decent tires, smooth ride, 1 owner, starts every time

Cons: check engine light on, oil leak moderate, many dents and dings, faded paint, and of course 304K miles

and the best part of it, through its life the car did not use no more than $500 of an expected repairs; in the end, the new owner of the car was very happy with the purchase and its overall condition, without a word to negotiate the price down;

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

the new owner towed the car on his trailer; meanwhile my dad gets my Mazda6, and we hope it will serve him the same

I guess that's about a 2000 year model? The CE was the entry level as I recall.
Long runners for sure. You got your money's worth.

Originally Posted by 4WD
You blocked the license plate on one photo but not others …

Obligatory block the license plate but nobody knows why photo. Have to have one.

That car owes you nothing. OP you didn't mention your maintenance routine that got you to 300k miles.

You can sell a car with a CEL ? Here the seller is responsible for providing a currant smog cert at the time of the sale. If they do not and it fails they can be held responsible for repairs needed to make it pass.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I guess that's about a 2000 year model? The CE was the entry level as I recall.
Long runners for sure. You got your money's worth.

yes it was 2000 year model; I think was paid about $21k at the time

Originally Posted by AZjeff
... OP you didn't mention your maintenance routine that got you to 300k miles.

Excellent question. Would love to know.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by 4WD
You blocked the license plate on one photo but not others …

Obligatory block the license plate but nobody knows why photo. Have to have one.

That car owes you nothing. OP you didn't mention your maintenance routine that got you to 300k miles.

the maintenance was never a priority on the list for this car; of course it had changes of oil or few transmission flush from time to time at Toyota dealership but in past 7 years as my dad was using it, the maintenance was few and far in between; I think its timing belt was not replaced in past 7 years, but the car apparently refused to die; its just that these were basic and solid build vehicles at the time; also, my dad is not proponent of putting good money after bad money
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Chris142
You can sell a car with a CEL ? Here the seller is responsible for providing a currant smog cert at the time of the sale. If they do not and it fails they can be held responsible for repairs needed to make it pass.

Depends on the area you're in. Areas with no emissions aren't generally held to that requirement. So glad I no longer have to deal with that.

My mother bought one of those new, LE level. My sister-in-law has it now. Very few problems, so far. The throttle tends to stick closed, then suddenly open more than intended when you push the accelerator pedal harder, resulting in jerky launches.

Will be a good runner for someone who needs basic transportation.

My Camry isn't worth much more, it's in decent shape other than the left rear corner after being rear ended a few years ago. I struggled for a while with what to do with it, as it is an incredibly good car. I just can't make myself get rid of it. I just let my brother drive it.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Ok we gotta know,what oil got her to 300K?
laugh.gif

just because the car developed a moderate oil leak my dad would be adding oil for the longest time so the car was getting regular oil changes

also I know the car never got synthetic oil for sure

so if there is secret sauce for the high miles then it got to be to that letter T

grin.gif

$500 for any vehicle that can move under its own power is a good deal in my book. If I was looking for dirt cheap transportation, I'd be thrilled. Certainly not a looker, but I bet it gets somebody from A to B fairly reliably!

My father did the same exact thing with a old Lincoln Town car.... That car made over 300,000 miles too. So there is truth to that logic... Oil is being "changed" regularly if it's leaking and oil is being added.

Originally Posted by BISCUT
300k + it's a struggle to let go!

Just a machine to get from point A to point B.

Originally Posted by bbhero
My father did the same exact thing with a old Lincoln Town car.... That car made over 300,000 miles too. So there is truth to that logic... Oil is being "changed" regularly if it's leaking and oil is being added.

How about mysteriously consuming oil. If I add a quart every thousand miles is it the same theory?

Back