pressure starts up first try after not used for 6 months

I have a honda powered gx390 pressure washer the last few times I've gone about 6 months between uses. This last time I was thinking I was going to have clean the carb, but nope she fired right up!! I don't get it, what's all this fuss about ethanol going bad after only 30 days?

I had one start up on the second pull after sitting for three years. Untreated, 10% ethanol gas, Honda GC190 engine. Ran completely fine.

I tend to think it has more to do with the design of the engine/carburetor than anything else. Some just gum up easier than others.

My pressure washer with the Honda GX 390 started after 4 years with pump gas 10% and no foolish stable with just letting the gas drain a bit from the carb. I hooked up the water and let it run for a while and change the engine and pimp oil then drained the gas from the tank and ran the gas in the lawn mower.

Originally Posted by BISCUT
Newer units are designed around that 87 E nightmare.

Carbs got gummed up way before they had ethanol. Go into any small engine shop, chances are you'll hear the mechanic talking to the customer about ethanol problems. I think it's just a scape goat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an 11 HP Honda powered pressure washer. Over the 30 + years that I have owned this machine, I always store it with fuel in the tank over the winter, never running it dry. I add Stabil to the gas and a good dose of MMO and fog it, making sure there is no water in the pump, and the pump has RV anti-freeze in it. There have been several occasions where the machine fired up on one pull. "I" found seasonal equipment that is used at least once a year works just fine for me storing it this way, as long as the fuel was fresh and treated they way I mentioned.

Back