You guys who pile the miles up weekly on your ride

Originally Posted by Speak2Mountain
bc you drive for work or just like to drive......what is your OCI regimen and what are you using, motor oil-wise and are you considering changing OCI's and oil wt or brand?

I drive my work truck, a 2005 Silverado for work Monday to Friday, sometimes weekends too (lots of overtime lately). I work for a land surveyor, doing construction layout. A lot of local city driving, but lately I've been driving a lot of longer distances, often 80 miles a day.

Oil changes used to be cheap bulk conventional every 3k at 4-6 months, I bought the truck from my employer a couple months ago so I'm responsible for everything on it now.

Now it's full synthetic high mileage (bad valve seals - occasionally smokes on startup in the summer and some oil deposits on the spark plugs), doing one early oil change before I start going by the olm (seems to want an oil change every 4k miles roughly). It uses a qt in 2500 miles.

About every couple of months I get close to 1000 miles a week but usually stay under 500. 2016 2500 Silverado gas loaded to gvwr. I just get it changed when it tells me to at the local dealer. The invoices say they use mobil1. I got it when it had 14k on it and now has 110k on it. Fleet company only allows what the owners manual says to do. I only checked the oil about three times close to the end of a few oci to see if it was using oil.

The oil has been in my Volvo for 2 1/2 years, maybe 15,000km....the odo is no longer working. I wasn't ever going to change the oil again, but am now on a 40km (26 miles across the sea) again, so might do it in 6 months, say 20,000km. I have a full synth A3/B4 oil in there, and it's still looking good.

I drive 108 miles a day round trip to work, five days a week in a Toyota Tundra. I change oil every 10,000 miles with Amsoil 0w20 and a Toyota OEM filter, although I am going to give Mobil 1 a try on the next OCI.

48 miles a day of stop and go that includes a 16 mile, 85mph dash up and down the highway. Switch to HM at 100k miles and run 8k OCI's, which is 4-5 months. Always done 5w-20 or 5w-30. Whatever I felt like. No reason to think I'm not going 250k on the car.

2008 Chev 3/4 ton Suburban. Currently driving 50 miles per day, highway driving at 65 miles per hour. Used various 5w30 synthetic oils. Racked up over 200,000 miles with OCI averaging 7,000 miles. Now using 5,000 miles OCI. Why not.
laugh.gif

I drive 120 miles a day round trip to work.Average about 35,000 miles per year just to work and back.Use Mobil 1 EP 0w-20 and change oil and filter every 5k miles.Car is a 2016 with about 104,000 mies on it now.

I put about 30k miles a year on my 4L OHV explorer. Bought it specifically for all the work driving. Bought it at 200k miles, its at 290k now. I use synthetic, avoid low tier oil filters and change the oil every 5k miles (ends up being every 2 months). This is a low tech engine that operates between 2-4k rpm 98% of the time so no real concern with engine oil. So far I've used STP syn(same as Supertech) once, Valvoline Syn HM, QSUD, M1 EP or AFE, PPHM with Rotella Gas Truck on deck after one more round of Valvoline 10w-30 until back to 5w30.

Oil is the least of maintenance. Transmission is much more fragile, (on my second [used] one which also flares on 3rd to 4th but hasn't broken a band like the first one did at 220k miles) change tranny and transfer case fluids every 30k, rear diff and spark plugs/wires every 50k, front diff every 100k (once). I've changed every ball joint, front wheel bearings, shocks, water pump and plenty more. Luckily I can do that stuff myself. Basically stay on top of stuff.

Originally Posted by Speak2Mountain
bc you drive for work or just like to drive......what is your OCI regimen and what are you using, motor oil-wise and are you considering changing OCI's and oil wt or brand?

I have 1 daily and 1 weekend car currently.

Weekend car gets about 2000-2500 miles per 6 months. Oil gets changed every 6 months. Mobil 1 EP.

Daily gets about 400-500 miles a month. I change it every 3 months. Yes overkill, but it's a lot of stop and go, a lot of idling, and also a lot of quick start and shut off. Mobil 1 standard syn.

This sort of driving is VERY easy on motor oil.
I have learned this from past used oil analysis, extended out to 15k to 20k miles.
What happens is oxidative thickening at about 17k miles.
This creates not just improper viscosity, but also altered chemistry.

That said, my regimen has been 7.5k mile OCI, with a 15k mile OFCI.
The oils were PP 0W16, M1 AFE 0W16 and TGMO 0W16.

Moving forward with my new novel motor oil,
it will be 12k mile OCI, with 25k mile OFCI.
HPL HD 0W16 SL. OEM oil filter.

I run cars hard. Lots of WOT, but not much stop and go. Lately I set the oil life monitor, use an oil that is beyond what the monitor was designed for, change it at 0% and run a UOA to see if that is agreeable.

Good example, I'm driving my dad's old 06 Accord V6. When he was putting around, the OLM would go 10,000 miles or so. For me, it lasted 6400 till hitting 0%. Waiting on results now.

I run 5K oil change intervals on the Mazda6 with full synthetic 0w20. The focus got 6K on last oil change with motorcraft syn blend and does 500+ miles a week for work. Oil still had a little bit of red tint to oil and still looked clean. Has ST 0w20 and a motorcraft filter in it now. Will prob run it 10K.

I drive about 18 miles each way to work Mon-Fri - mostly highway and some rural roads. On average I put just over 15k/yr on my car.

I typically change twice a year or about every 7,500 miles as recommended per the owners manual. I use whatever 0w20 I have on hand.

Last edited:
I used to drive a lot. At one point I was driving 48k miles per year. That slowly dropped off to 25k a year. Now I'm lucky if I hit 12k a year. I take the cars out once a day for a long drive. I enjoy driving.

2015 Toyota Tacoma averages 12K-15K a year. Got back on the Amsoil bandwagon again with SS 5W30 every 10K and a factory filter change in between.

Wife's 19 Pilot follows the olm 7500 miles or so with SS 0W20. She drives about 20K or so a year.

My two commuters :
2004 Lexus IS200 4speed AT : Around 22K km per year mostly highway driving on a 12K km OCI using Castrol Magnatec 5w30 A5
2015 Honda Grom : Around 8k km per year on a 3k km OCI using anything 10w30 rated Jaso MA2

I personally am not a high mile car or pickup driver. However someone I do business with is.

He drives a 2013 F150 4x4 3.5EB. Most will say those are relatively hard on oil. He has put 420,000+ mi on it with original timing chain and turbos. His secret? Whatever name brand 5W-30 happens to be on sale at the autoparts store in his small town every 6,000-7,000 mi.

I know others with longer and shorter drains on special and not so special oils and the only pattern I can discern is they are not haphazard. They set a maintenance plan and stick to it. Whether that's 3,000 mi with M1 or 10,000 mi with Super Tech that seems to work a lot better than "when I think about it".

Originally Posted by buster
I used to drive a lot. At one point I was driving 48k miles per year. That slowly dropped off to 25k a year. Now I'm lucky if I hit 12k a year. I take the cars out once a day for a long drive. I enjoy driving.

Me too buster... I actually enjoy driving in the country. In your state of NJ the area north of Trenton is a very nice area to drive around.

2012 Toyota Corolla. Round trip to work is 124 miles. Using Mobil 1 0w-20 AFE changing every 5k. Car is getting an average of 37-39 mpg, 95% highway. Which is better than epa recommended mileage.

Back