Solid tires on front of an Ariens rear engine rider.

Anyone have any ideas on how they'd work, or have tried it?
I have a chance to pick up an old 8hp machine, but both front tires are dry rotted..
If someone did it, what kind of tires did you use?

They tend to rip the grass out on the edge when you go onto a lawn at an angle for whatever reason. The inflatable tires don't do this. You can also just put an inner tube in the tire too if they aren't like falling apart dry rotted. I bought a brand new ztr mower and had to do this when I got a tiny nail in the tire with just 25hrs on the machine. The inflated tires are typically tubeless, but that doesn't mean you can't add a tube if needed. It's a lawn mower, not a car.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always switch dollies and wheel barrows to solid tires and they cost more than pneumatic …

Originally Posted by 4WD
I always switch dollies and wheel barrows to solid tires and they cost more than pneumatic …

Good idea. I fought flat tires on my snow thrower that just wouldn't inflate (wouldn't touch rims) for years, until I had tubes put in. Next time I'll check out solids.

$100 dolly complete with made in USA flag decal … came with the worst China made tires/wheels and one was soon not inflatable ? … so another $50 to put polyurethane tires on it to finish moving my son.
Grab n go now.

I even have a garden wagon that came with garbage air tires … four solid wheels on that
(was not urgent and I got online way cheaper)

Pneumatic tires and a spring seat are essentially a riding mowers suspension. My 1.5 hour weekly mow would be a bone jarring experience with solid tires.

Originally Posted by BSeward
Anyone have any ideas on how they'd work, or have tried it?
I have a chance to pick up an old 8hp machine, but both front tires are dry rotted..
If someone did it, what kind of tires did you use?

The riders from very long ago had solid front wheels.

I can never keep air in mine and the little front wheels can be pesky to reseat. Anyone have any hints or products they like to prepare and re-set the bead?

M

Originally Posted by meep
I can never keep air in mine and the little front wheels can be pesky to reseat. Anyone have any hints or products they like to prepare and re-set the bead?

M

I use liquid dish soap. There are products you can get from the parts store to use on the tire bead.The rim has to be very clean where the bead seats or you will have a leak.Stay away from products like Slime to seal small leaks....The rim will rust very badly from the use of Slime.....The small tires are the easy ones to seat the bead.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by meep

M

I unscrew the valve core. Lets more air rush in.
Liberal application of armorall to help the bead seat.

Originally Posted by gman2304
Pneumatic tires and a spring seat are essentially a riding mowers suspension. My 1.5 hour weekly mow would be a bone jarring experience with solid tires.

There are "solid" tires of essentially foam rubber they have a lot of give but don't go flat. And if the ones that hold his body weight are still pnuematic, the ride should be OK.

Back