2020 F450 6.7L oil

Thank you for the awesome input ToadU! I must admit I did change the factory fill at 2000 miles and went with Motorcraft 15W40. I will run that out much longer of course and feel much better with the 40 weight in it with the Texas heat coming soon. Nice looking rig by the way!

Originally Posted by Hysilver
Nice rig ToadU. Do you ever service differential fluids?

Every 60,000 per severe duty requirements in owner's manual. Unless you are a business using the truck for work daily the 60,000 doesn't apply. I believe it's 150,000 change intervals.

Originally Posted by ToadU
Hello,

Much of the information given here is totally incorrect and based on opinions and "gut feelings". The facts are contained in your instruction manual. Ford has over 19 million miles experience on the PS6.7. Arguably, this engine is the most important core product at Ford.

Please follow the manual and disregard all of the armchair advice. Don't believe the folks thinking they are smarter and more knowledgeable than FoMoCo, their engineers and a mountain of testing and real world results.

I own a towing company and we have a large fleet of trucks. We have run both gas and diesel F450s, 550s, 650s and have the new 600 on order.

We have taken deliver of our first (2) 2020 F450 6.7s.

Do not change your oil early!!!! Nowhere is this suggested in the owner's manuals or by Ford. Follow the oil life monitor. My trucks run 24/7 and we don't shut them off even to fuel. They have extensive towing and idle time. We do not short Change the factory fill ever. Not in 24 years. My trucks travel on the low side of 2,500 miles to a high of 3,500 mile per week. We keep our trucks to 250,000 miles which is between 2-3 years of age. Hats north of 8,000 engine hours.

We run oil, including the factory fill, until the end of the OLM always without exception. In literally millions and millions of miles we have only had a single oil related failure. A few years ago a truck responding at night to a vehicle that went off the road in an accident ran over a large piece of rebar bent in such a way with was driven into the oil pan ripping it open. This is the totality of oil related issues in a 24 year career and millions upon millions of miles.

Since the OP is not in the category of severe duty use a cheap conventional 15w40 per the owners manual meeting the current Ford F1 spec. Buy the cheapest available meeting the spec. Same with the oil filter. We stock and use Fram orange cans mostly. Sometimes Purolator and other brands. We buy in bulk so order whatever is cheapest. Anything else is a total waste.

My company uses bulk 5w40 meeting the Ford Spec. For years we used Mag1 in 55 gallon drums. Due to a recent supplier change (a better deal) we are running Purus 5w40. Check out their web page. Great quality oil at an awesome price. It's 100% Ford F1 approved.

Remember, these are work trucks. If you saw the abuse my trucks take day in and day out you would be amazed. Frankly, your rig will probably suffer from NOT being worked hard. Probably the best engine choice for you would have been gas but it's America and if you like the big rig sound cool. Just remember no For-profit company in the world with fleet vehicles is short changing the oil, buying designer, boutique oils and premium filters. Every cop car, bus, ambulance, taxi, Uber, rental car, towing company ect ect ect is buying whatever is cheapest and meets specs. Always make sure you meet the manufacturer's spec and you are truly good to go.

(Don't run fuel additives either. TOTALLY unnecessary expense. You might as well just pile your money up and light it on fire.)

I will get flamed by all of the over-thinkers but my response is based 100% on facts per the Ford owner's manuals.

Enjoy your truck. I've owned every brand of medium duty truck and the only one that can hold up to our abuse and use model are Fords.

Take care.

Wow that's a strong post. I love hearing real world experience like this. Thanks for sharing!

My boss has had three of these trucks, a 2011, 2015 and now a 2018 for a couple years. Never used anything but Motorcraft 10w30 every 6k or so and never a problem.

ToadU is absolutely right.
Most all of us here at BITOG WWWWAAAAYYYY over think this stuff. I was reminded of that the other day.
This kid at work has a mid 90's Honda Passport. I should have taken a picture, it is a wreck. Body damage all over. If the county health department saw the interior they would have it condemned. All of the tires have cords hanging out. He has 360k miles on it.
I promise you he is not wringing his hands wondering "should I run PUP or M1 EP?". He is not sending samples to Blackstone to have the TBN measured. He is not cutting open oil filters.
On rare occasions he pulls the stick to see if there is any black liquid on the end of it. If not, he goes into the c-store and buys a bottle of whatever is cheapest and dumps it in.
No offense to anyone, I am talking to myself here just as much as anyone.
OP has spent a ton of money on a very nice truck. He should absolutely take excellent care of it. I guarantee that if he puts any MC oil in the sump that is recommended for that truck and follows the OLM, he will never have a oil related issue as long as he owns that truck.

Originally Posted by SAJEFFC
Originally Posted by PDRig
My vote is for the motorcraft 15w40 if you will use the truck primarily for towing based on your location. To be honest you would probably be fine with the motorcraft 10w30 as well. The 10w30 holds up well in my ‘17.

It will be primarily for towing but some running around mileage as well. Combined weight when towing is a little over 26000 pounds so maybe the 10W40 Motorcraft is better in the heat. Someone posted the Zinc and phosphorus specs in another thread and the MC 10W40 looks pretty stout!

Yeah, my vote is for the MC 15w40. You can get it at any Walmart for $19 for a 5-qt jug. I might start using it in my Dodge.

Ford recently published an oil chart for 2020. Up to a week or so a go, they still had the 2019 chart posted. I didn't look for differences between the two. I think this new chart is much more difficult to read. I posted the 2019 chart in other thread(s).

Note (4) is for the 6.7L Diesel.
Note (6) continues Ford's worry about insufficient antiwear capability of API CK-4 oils. Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 meets the Ford Spec and is on the approved list.

Note [4]: Check Owner's Guide for appropriate viscosity depending on ambient temperature, duty cycle and biofuel content.
Above 20°F(-7°C) use SAE 15W-40 WSS-M2C171-F1 (except 3.2L Power Stroke® Diesel)
Above -20°F (-29°C) use SAE 5W-40 or 0W40 WSS-M2C171-F1, CJ-4, CI-4 [6]
Above -40°F (-40°C) use SAE 0W-30 or 0W-40 WSS-M2C171-F1, CJ-4, CI-4 [6]
Note [6]: Oils showing CK-4 and CJ-4 in the API Donut are not recommended unless they are approved to WSS-M2C171-F1

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/quickref/oilchartUS.pdf

Originally Posted by LubricatusObsess
Ford recently published an oil chart for 2020. Up to a week or so a go, they still had the 2019 chart posted. I didn't look for differences between the two. I think this new chart is much more difficult to read. I posted the 2019 chart in other thread(s).

Note (4) is for the 6.7L Diesel.
Note (6) continues Ford's worry about insufficient antiwear capability of API CK-4 oils. Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 meets the Ford Spec and is on the approved list.

Note [4]: Check Owner's Guide for appropriate viscosity depending on ambient temperature, duty cycle and biofuel content.
Above 20°F(-7°C) use SAE 15W-40 WSS-M2C171-F1 (except 3.2L Power Stroke® Diesel)
Above -20°F (-29°C) use SAE 5W-40 or 0W40 WSS-M2C171-F1, CJ-4, CI-4 [6]
Above -40°F (-40°C) use SAE 0W-30 or 0W-40 WSS-M2C171-F1, CJ-4, CI-4 [6]
Note [6]: Oils showing CK-4 and CJ-4 in the API Donut are not recommended unless they are approved to WSS-M2C171-F1

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/quickref/oilchartUS.pdf

The above information doesn't coincide with owners manual information as the 6.7 in normal service specs 10w-30.

My current 6.7 has seen nothing but 10w-30 since new and currently at 125,500 mi. The engine oil is liquid cooled and oil temp is readily viewable through the dash info screen. As long as oil temps aren't constantly approaching defuel temp, which is 248f, there is absolutely nothing wrong with following owners manual recommendation of 10w-30.

My 6.7 is a work truck, constantly loaded, running in 90+f temps through the summer at highway speeds. UOA data has always stated continue what you're doing everything looks great, and I'm going until the IOLM states to change oil now, which is usually 10,000 mi. Plus or minus 500 mi.

Seems Ford is inconsistent, per usual. Had a big debate on the historical PS 6.0L, showing how Ford changed recommendations over time and wasn't consistent in their publications. The link and publication isn't from me - it is from Ford. All I did was post it.

Back