Pentastar oil changes

4WD

$50 site donor 2024
Just got a 2020 3.6L. Noticed it holds 5 quarts whereas my 2013 Pentastar holds 6 quarts.
Well, at least that's a handy one jug change …

What are folks running ? I'm thinking 5k but with Fram Ultra leave the filter for every other time.
(it's easy, but hear about cracking) …

What say you ?

I usually run PP in ours. I change the filter every time, but really due to waves in the pleats at 5k. I have not tried ultra filters yet - usually M1 (closeout) or KN. as far as cracking, don't over-tighten the housing. our 2019 holds 6, although it is the 3.2 Penta.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Just got a 2020 3.6L. Noticed it holds 5 quarts whereas my 2013 Pentastar holds 6 quarts.
Well, at least that's a handy one jug change …

What are folks running ? I'm thinking 5k but with Fram Ultra leave the filter for every other time.
(it's easy, but hear about cracking) …

What say you ?

This is what I've been trying to figure out for my 2016. I've been thinking 0w20 M1 EP, or RP HPS. Still undecided on filter. Been thinking Fram Ultra or Napa Platinum or Gold.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tomcat27
I usually run PP in ours. I change the filter every time, but really due to waves in the pleats at 5k. I have not tried ultra filters yet - usually M1 (closeout) or KN. as far as cracking, don't over-tighten the housing. our 2019 holds 6, although it is the 3.2 Penta.

Got a PM from PSD … he's tried several filters and indicated the structural integrity of the XG is keeping them straight, and the space out distance in the canister is just right.
We already know it filters low micron, flows well, and lasts long. Found them for about $10.

I've been using the Fram XG-11665 in my 2016 Wrangler w/o issue. I dip the tip of the filter in clean oil, to lube the O-Ring, and lube the filter housing cap O-Ring with fresh oil as well. I tighten the cap to about 110-120" lbs. The filters come out in good shape. I think a lot of people fail to oil the small O-Ring which causes binding during tightening down the cap, both O-Rings need to be lubed. Then they grossly over-tighten the filter cap, causing more problems and the potential for cracking the housing causing leaks. I have a bunch of Mobil 1 filters, hopefully I have the same luck with them. My OCI is 5K with a new filter.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I've been using the Fram XG-11665 in my 2016 Wrangler w/o issue. I dip the tip of the filter in clean oil, to lube the O-Ring, and lube the filter housing cap O-Ring with fresh oil as well. I tighten the cap to about 110-120" lbs. The filters come out in good shape. I think a lot of people fail to oil the small O-Ring which causes binding during tightening down the cap, both O-Rings need to be lubed. Then they grossly over-tighten the filter cap, causing more problems and the potential for cracking the housing causing leaks. I have a bunch of Mobil 1 filters, hopefully I have the same luck with them. My OCI is 5K with a new filter.

What oil are you running?

Thanks … always some (learned) tricks on these …
my GM its best to snap the filter into the cap with some superlube on that latch …

Originally Posted by Since1941

Currently Mobil 1 ESP 0W30.

If the Ultra distorts, try the Wix XP/Napa Platinum
smile.gif

Currently Mobil 1 ESP 0W30.

What is better? EP 0w20 or ESP 0w30?

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

I just left Napa. I was inquiring about the Platinum filter. I guess it's really good, but it's 17.00. Shame they are made in China now.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

I just left Napa. I was inquiring about the Platinum filter. I guess it's really good, but it's 17.00. Shame they are made in China now.

It goes on sale a few times a year for $5.99

sad about China though
cry.gif

I just left Napa. I was inquiring about the Platinum filter. I guess it's really good, but it's 17.00. Shame they are made in China now. [/quote]

So that's a mesh/glass setup like XP … anyway I ordered 4 XG-1165's …
Got plenty to do 500 mile and 5K change to get on track for 5K OCI …
Will do a side by side with OEM filter and so on …
Have time to think about how long to run the 2nd filter …

Originally Posted by 4WD

So that's a mesh/glass setup like XP … anyway I ordered 4 XG-1165's …
Got plenty to do 500 mile and 5K change to get on track for 5K OCI …
Will do a side by side with OEM filter and so on …
Have time to think about how long to run the 2nd filter … [/quote]

Awesome! What oil you going to run?

FRAM Ultra and Castrol Edge, but I have 2 OCs of Kendall GT-1 Max on deck next.

The 3.6L is not hard on oil though there does seem to be some of them that suffer from some fuel dilution. You really cannot go wrong with any of the 0W-20 oils. I currently am doing a 5K OCI with a filter change every other time.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD

The 3.6L is not hard on oil though there does seem to be some of them that suffer from some fuel dilution. You really cannot go wrong with any of the 0W-20 oils. I currently am doing a 5K OCI with a filter change every other time.

Is the M1 EP or ESP better?

Don't torque the oil filter cap!!!!!! Screw it down until it STOPS. DON'T TORQUE IT!!!!! Screw it down until it bottoms out on the canister base. STOP!!!! It's plastic!!!! The o-ring on cap keeps it from unscrewing. I've never even changed the o-ring on the cap, none of them ever. Have done this on these with ZERO problems>>>>>>2014 RAM 1500 3.6...2017 Jeep Wrangler 3.6...2018 RAM 1500 3.6...2019 Dodge Charger SXT 3.6. Never had a leak. The oil filter cap's have never moved. I put a paint mark on it so I can see when to stop.

That's all I have ever done on our Dodge and Chevy … snug's good …

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD

Yes, our 2013 stinks of gas when drained … and we cut it back to 4K on PennGold … it's a Monday to Friday short trip problem and weekend trips are not enough to cook out contaminants …

have tons of M1 AP … RGT … M1 T&S … VME … so good shape there …

Back