Mobil 1 versus Motul for a 2020 Camry 0w16

With these lower viscosity oils such as 0w16 I am considering using Motul in my new 2020 Camry. I have been a loyal Mobil 1 user for many years and may still stick with the 0w16 from them, however, with this new ride is Motul a consideration? I will be sticking with the 10,000 mile intervals. I am also trying to decide when I should drain this factory fill?

https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/products/hybrid-0w16

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/for-personal-vehicles/our-products/products/mobil-1-0w16/

I was also thinking about 0w20, but see no real benefit at this point in using it. Thoughts?

Oil grade: API SN/RC multigrade engine oil

It also has a 4.8 quart capacity. Motul comes in a gallon size and Mobil 1 in 5 quart.

For convenience (one jug vs. one jug and an extra quart) as well as cost, I would go with the MOBIL 1

Originally Posted by Amkeer
With these lower viscosity oils such as 0w16 I am considering using Motul in my new 2020 Camry. I have been a loyal Mobil 1 user for many years and may still stick with the 0w16 from them, however, with this new ride is Motul a consideration? I will be sticking with the 10,000 mile intervals. I am also trying to decide when I should drain this factory fill?

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/for-personal-vehicles/our-products/products/mobil-1-0w16/

I was also thinking about 0w20, but see no real benefit at this point in using it. Thoughts?

Your owners manual gives you a 0w16 or 0w20 option for the entire warranty period? Or does it say you can 0w20 for "one time use' - then requires 0w16 again?

There may not be much, if any, real world difference. I'd choose the M1, just due to the fact that it's available anywhere, anytime. Some Motul products are simply exact copies of Mobil 1 products....

I'd also suggest you change it more frequently than 10K miles.

From the OM:

â– Engine oil selection
ïµ 2.5 L 4-cylinder (A25A-FKS) engine
"Toyota Genuine Motor Oil" is used in your Toyota vehicle. Use Toyota approved "Toyota Genuine Motor Oil" or equivalent to sat- isfy the following grade and viscosity.
Recommended viscosity: SAE 0W-16
SAE 0W-16 is the best choice for good fuel economy and good start- ing in cold weather.
If SAE 0W-16 is not available, SAE 0W-20 oil may be used. However, it must be replaced with SAE 0W- 16 at the next oil change.
Oil viscosity (0W-16 is explained here as an example):
• The 0W in 0W-16 indicates the characteristic of the oil which allows cold startability. Oils with a lower value before the W allow for easier starting of the engine in cold weather.
• The 16 in 0W-16 indicates the viscosity characteristic of the oil when the oil is at high temperature. An oil with a higher viscosity (one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions.

Last edited:
I have Motul VW 508 (a real majority) PAO synthetic in my Jetta, it's a good oil, but its too thin and the engine ran bad on it and started drinking it. When it was down a half liter I put some Mobil 1 0W40 FS in there ( I had purchased it for an oil change on my Generac 5000) Previously teh dealer has incorrectly put 5W40 in it and that was too thick!

Well the engine responded surprisingly to the small increase in viscosity and has run well since and has not used oil at a high rate.

This is only a 1.4 L Turbo DI motor with a favourable aspect ratio to the piston, but long stroke.

IN your Toyota 2.5 I would expect things to be much worse as this is basically 1/2 of a 302 V8.

I would use Mobil 1 AP 0W20 and if it noisy after break in - supplement it with the M1 0W40.

This is the way of the world and the way of a good mechanic and engine tuner.

"The 0W in 0W-16 indicates the characteristic of the oil which allows cold startability. Oils with a lower value before the W allow for easier starting of the engine in cold weather."

Its not cold weather now and wont be for awhile.

"The 16 in 0W-16 indicates the viscosity characteristic of the oil when the oil is at high temperature. An oil with a higher viscosity (one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions."

My brain says 20 or 30..

So my translation from Toyota is.. 5w20/5w30 in summer/fall 0w20/0w30 in winter. and 0w40 sounds like a good year round oil.

I doubt i would ever buy 0w16 to keep the CAFE folks happy.

I am also trying to decide when I should drain this factory fill?

What does your owner's manual say?

Despite all the marketing claims , what does oil do? It keeps the parts separated bottom line , then it has additives to do certain things prevent wear when the oil film is not thick enough on certain parts and to make the oil last longer in the engine. If you buy oil from a well known major company with the proper ratings will allow long engine life I have seem more Toyota Camrys with 350,000+ miles running fine running quick change oils and filters.

Originally Posted by CT8
Despite all the marketing claims , what does oil do? It keeps the parts separated bottom line , then it has additives to do certain things prevent wear when the oil film is not thick enough on certain parts and to make the oil last longer in the engine. If you buy oil from a well known major company with the proper ratings will allow long engine life I have seem more Toyota Camrys with 350,000+ miles running fine running quick change oils and filters.

And they are running a 30 grade.

Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
M1 >> Motul.
All day.

It depend if you want a real synthetic oil.

Many Mobil grades are not.

Not saying that make a 8100 series Motul the "cat's meow".

Just that you get what you are paying for - or at least what the label says you bought.

You don't get that in the USA. Big Corporate Lies. NA they are all to blame - and the un-eductaed consumer.

Originally Posted by Astro14
For convenience (one jug vs. one jug and an extra quart) as well as cost, I would go with the MOBIL 1

I am kind of leaning towards Mobil 1 because of that. Plus Mobil 1 hasn't let me down with its performance based on UOA and valve cover inspections.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Your owners manual gives you a 0w16 or 0w20 option for the entire warranty period? Or does it say you can 0w20 for "one time use' - then requires 0w16 again?

I have thought about that too. I could use 0w20 but the engine and efficiency with the 0w16 seems to be a good match. Consumption with the thinner weight could be a concern.

Originally Posted by Cujet
There may not be much, if any, real world difference. I'd choose the M1, just due to the fact that it's available anywhere, anytime. Some Motul products are simply exact copies of Mobil 1 products....

I'd also suggest you change it more frequently than 10K miles.

I will probably change the factory at 2000 then change again at 10,000 miles which will give the first change a 8000 mile interval. After that I will stick with 10,000 miles. I have had very good results with 10000 mile changes using Mobil 1.

Originally Posted by Astro14
From the OM:

â– Engine oil selection
ïµ 2.5 L 4-cylinder (A25A-FKS) engine
"Toyota Genuine Motor Oil" is used in your Toyota vehicle. Use Toyota approved "Toyota Genuine Motor Oil" or equivalent to sat- isfy the following grade and viscosity.
Recommended viscosity: SAE 0W-16
SAE 0W-16 is the best choice for good fuel economy and good start- ing in cold weather.
If SAE 0W-16 is not available, SAE 0W-20 oil may be used. However, it must be replaced with SAE 0W- 16 at the next oil change.
Oil viscosity (0W-16 is explained here as an example):
• The 0W in 0W-16 indicates the characteristic of the oil which allows cold startability. Oils with a lower value before the W allow for easier starting of the engine in cold weather.
• The 16 in 0W-16 indicates the viscosity characteristic of the oil when the oil is at high temperature. An oil with a higher viscosity (one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions.

Living in Florida especially in the summers is why I wouldn't mind using the 0w20. This vehicle will fit the normal service category so that is the reason for the input in the selection of oils as well as weights.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
I have Motul VW 508 (a real majority) PAO synthetic in my Jetta, it's a good oil, but its too thin and the engine ran bad on it and started drinking it. When it was down a half liter I put some Mobil 1 0W40 FS in there ( I had purchased it for an oil change on my Generac 5000) Previously teh dealer has incorrectly put 5W40 in it and that was too thick!

Well the engine responded surprisingly to the small increase in viscosity and has run well since and has not used oil at a high rate.

This is only a 1.4 L Turbo DI motor with a favourable aspect ratio to the piston, but long stroke.

IN your Toyota 2.5 I would expect things to be much worse as this is basically 1/2 of a 302 V8.

I would use Mobil 1 AP 0W20 and if it noisy after break in - supplement it with the M1 0W40.

This is the way of the world and the way of a good mechanic and engine tuner.

This is why 0w20 is a consideration. I have a good selection of 0w20 in my area, Mobil 1, but not 0w16. There is a pretty decent difference in viscosity from 20-16.

Back