2012 Tacoma steering very stiff?

I'm original owner of a 2012 Tacoma SR5 2.7L 4x4 5-speed MT with 98,000 miles. First week of April I bought a new auto which I primary drive now. The Tacoma mainly sits idly in driveway and is mainly been driven on weekends for short trips. During those short trips I've been noticing the steering has become rather "stiff" at low speed turns? Today it was very noticeable. I checked the fluid. Perfect ( I flushed steering system November 2019 @ 91,000 miles). Air pressure in tires great (newer Michelin tires with less than 10,000 miles). And no leaks or nothing out of ordinary under hood.

After a long test drive city/hwy driving it loosened up a tad. I then stopped in a large parking lot and kept turning steering wheel from left to right fully then it like loosened up? Drove it home and it felt fairly normal after that. Is my power steering pump on it's last leg, or is it frozen/stiffened up due to inactivity of driving? Anyone else had this experience. Truck has been basically trouble free until recently sitting idle. I appreciate any input.

Originally Posted by GSCJR
Check the universal joints from your steering column down to the rack and pinion.

I believe GSCJR is correct as this happened to my '05 Tacoma too. It really stiffened up during the cold winter and I sprayed liberal amount of plain old WD40 in the universal joint from above knowing it was likely temporary but luckily I never needed to reapply for 2 years until I sold it.

I believe this is not an uncommon problem with Tacomas after my research and briefly remembering it was because that joint seems not to be shielded from spray from underneath thus prone to grime and corrosion.

Sounds like the universal joint on the steering. I had the same issue from little use and had to replace mine.

My camry had u-joint problems. I finally found a way to massage grease in there which lasted longer than the spray I had been using.

Jack the truck up and see how it turns, if it's still hard it's almost assuredly the u-joint. Other issues could be a frozen ball joint or tie rod end.

You should have no problem with the steering on your Tacoma. Just keep driving it and enjoy. You are noticing the difference between vehicles that you drive.

As others have said, steering shaft U-joint. Had the exact problem on my 09 when I bought it. Soaked it with PB blaster and liberally coated it with Fluid Film. Lasted all last summer and winter just fine, when I was under there doing a drain/fill on the front diff I recoated it again for good measure. It's a "temporary" fix at best, but it works for a while. It is not an easy repair, and hard to get to. Might have more room on the 4 cylinder vs the V6, not sure.

Thanks for all the tips. Today I did buy a new OEM Intermediate shaft which was the problem. Took 4hrs start to finish. Truck steers like new now. Rust was a big issue obviously.

Two problems: 1.) I now have a malfunction light on the dash now? Yellow light showing vehicle skidding or something. While working I noticed I did unhook by accident a vacuum line that goes into the master cylinder. I just plugged it back in before starting vehicle. I'll go to Autozone tomorrow and have them do a analysis test and see what it was.

2.) This one is making me sick to my stomach, I did bungee cord the steering wheel from get go so it wouldn't be canted. Once I had old shaft off moved wheels just a hair so I could wire brush the spline on the power steering pump spline since it was so corroded with rust. So now wheel is can't about 30 degrees to the left. I made sure wheels were straight ahead before I hooked everything back up. Guess I did something wrong. How do I fix this? Thought I was I going to come out smelling like a rose on this job, NOT! I'd appreciate any input on getting this correct.... thanks!

Detach at the spline, turn the wheel 30 degrees to the right, and reassemble. Probably easiest to do with a competent helper holding the wheel.

Never let the steering wheel turn freely (thus the helper needs to know what they're doing) while it is detached from the rack, as that will break the clockspring.

Originally Posted by mk378
Detach at the spline, turn the wheel 30 degrees to the right, and reassemble. Probably easiest to do with a competent helper holding the wheel.

Never let the steering wheel turn freely (thus the helper needs to know what they're doing) while it is detached from the rack, as that will break the clockspring.

Thanks mk378. Like I stated, the steering wheel was secured properly from beginning. I by accident turned wheels so I could clean rust off power steering pump spline. So I'll secure steering wheel while it's at current 30 degree cant and detach shaft. Then turn steering wheel back to level and re-secure steering wheel level and re-attach shaft. Thanks for tip!

I secured steering wheel first in the incorrect canted position, then took intermediate shaft off (again, but much easier thanks to applied anti-seize), then turned steering wheel to it's proper position and secured it, then re-splined shaft back on. It's perfect now! Malfunction light still on? I'm sure it just needs re-flashed since the vacuum line on master cylinder came out. I appreciate all the great advice as usual!

Back