CRJ-550

I'm sitting at an empty airport staring at this pretty, new plane. I had no idea that United Airlines just rolled out this new regional plane, the CRJ-550. I read up on why they made the change. I usually fly from GSP to ORD on these tiny 3 seat wide planes that is very cramped. I now look forward to boarding and possibly having a little..extra space.

I read the review that I linked below, and I of course have what is to be considered the worst seat on the plane, row 10. Good thing it's only a 60 minute flight!

https://thepointsguy.com/news/united-new-crj550-inaugural-flight/amp/

I read some more. Seems like United put lipstick on a pig. Same airframe, shuffled some things around. Not a reliable plane.
frown.gif

I've flown on CRJ's. I liked them much better than the turboprops that usually fly the commuter routes. The jets have a lot less noise and vibration in the cabin.

Originally Posted by A_Harman
I've flown on CRJ's. I liked them much better than the turboprops that usually fly the commuter routes. The jets have a lot less noise and vibration in the cabin.

+1 … any day … same with the E190's …

Same here. Always happy with the experience.

Reminds me of when AA had their "more room in coach" campaign in early 2000s, followed by "no mo' room in coach" when they realized they needed to make money.

Wonder how long they can keep 50 seats in a 70 seat plane.

Respectfully disagree if its a CRJ-200 aka the Bad Dreamliner. I'll take an EMB-120 any day of the week over one of those. Most every plane has a couple-three seats that are much better than the rest, the CRJ-200 is the only plane I've been on that doesn't have even 1 seat that is better than the others, even the exit row isn't any bigger.

Originally Posted by dja4260
I read some more. Seems like United put lipstick on a pig. Same airframe, shuffled some things around. Not a reliable plane.
frown.gif

The CRJ-550, which you're calling lipstick on a pig, is based on the CRJ-700.

The CRJ-700 is a relatively new, very reliable, airplane. It's been in service for many years. The much older CRJ-200 is a bit of a pig. It's being phased out. They're not the same airplane. Not even close.

If using a new airplane, and spreading the seats out so that everyone has more a lot room and more overhead bin space, is lipstick - well, then I can't help you.

It's clear that you don't fly much. This is actually one of the best regional jet configurations and products out there. New airplane with significantly more room. Quieter. Faster. Longer range.

Your linked article is headlined " What it's like flying United's new CRJ550, possibly the most comfortable regional jet in the US."

What's not to like?

Last edited:

For the CRJ 7 and 9's I agree, though I'd prefer a Q400 over a CRJ 200...way more fun. What's not to like about a large turboprop? Keeps things interesting!

Originally Posted by tbm5690

For the CRJ 7 and 9's I agree, though I'd prefer a Q400 over a CRJ 200...way more fun. What's not to like about a large turboprop? Keeps things interesting!

Originally Posted by Astro14
frown.gif

The CRJ-700 is a relatively new, very reliable, airplane. It's been in service for many years. The much older CRJ-200 is a bit of a pig. It's being phased out. They're not the same airplane. Not even close.

If using a new airplane, and spreading the seats out so that everyone has more a lot room and more overhead bin space, is lipstick - well, then I can't help you.

It's clear that you don't fly much. This is actually one of the best regional jet configurations and products out there. New airplane with significantly more room. Quieter. Faster. Longer range.

Your linked article is headlined " What it's like flying United's new CRJ550, possibly the most comfortable regional jet in the US."

What's not to like?

If it could go ORD-MUC, I would take it
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Astro14
frown.gif

What's not to like?

You're correct. I don't fly much. I was just reading different articles and posting the various thoughts regarding this plane. I don't have an opinion other than it was an empty, uneventful flight. The kind of flight I prefer.

Originally Posted by CincyDavid
Not a fan of CRJs, give me an E175 or 190 any time! Hoping to fly an A220 at some point too, I hear mainly positive reviews.

I flew with Swiss air twice on their initial Bombardier version. Decent airplane, cannot say any meaningful difference compared to E175 or E190.

We've enjoyed every CRJ or ERJ leg we've ever flown.
What's not to like in not having middle seats as you would in a 737 or A32X?
These aircraft have also proven to be reliable and durable in service and they have provided both frequency and small city connectivity that would be economically unfeasible with mainline jets.
Of course, we also thought that the Dornier 328 was just grand and it was the last turboprop on which we flew, which was about twenty years ago.
Inexpensive air connectivity is a wonderful thing.
I'll bet that many will decry the loss of either frequency or service entirely that will come with the demise of the fifty seaters,

Originally Posted by fdcg27
We've enjoyed every CRJ or ERJ leg we've ever flown.
What's not to like in not having middle seats as you would in a 737 or A32X?
These aircraft have also proven to be reliable and durable in service and they have provided both frequency and small city connectivity that would be economically unfeasible with mainline jets.
Of course, we also thought that the Dornier 328 was just grand and it was the last turboprop on which we flew, which was about twenty years ago.
Inexpensive air connectivity is a wonderful thing.
I'll bet that many will decry the loss of either frequency or service entirely that will come with the demise of the fifty seaters,

E135 and 145. No neighbor period if in that single row. Now, going to lavatory might result in head injury, but it has its advantages.
I flew several times with 328 jet version with Air Dolomite. That was interesting plane. Flight from Paris to Zagreb on 328 Jet. I think that was flight in which airplane did not move at all. Never experienced in my life completely smooth flight like driving on German auto bahn. You can still see them in Europe mostly as ADAC ambulances.

The CRJ-200 is a dog and a giant flying AD. the-7/900 were much better planes. But in the terms of a passenger I'd rather be in the CRJ and the ERJ-135 or 145. The cabin is so small. MCO-ORF was enough for me.

Ultimate Air Shuttle has some Do 328 Jets based out out of Lunken Airport...I'm tempted to fly somewhere with them before they update/upgrade to something else.

I think company that flies out from Denver to Telluride has one or two. Not sure.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Ultimate Air Shuttle has some Do 328 Jets based out out of Lunken Airport...I'm tempted to fly somewhere with them before they update/upgrade to something else.

I think company that flies out from Denver to Telluride has one or two. Not sure.

Yup, Denver Air Connection flies them.

Back