Is VW508 anything special? Three MSDS compared (one is not vw508)

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Here are three MSDS. One is the oil VW developed with Castrol, LL IV... one is ESP X2 and one is EP.Â

I gotta say, EP looks the best if PAO is the metric...
How important this is to the end user? Who knows. But it does lay bare that VW508 isn't really anything special. Both edyvw and Gokhan have made this point.

Screenshot_20200605-233246_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20200605-234207_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20200605-235124_Drive.jpg

How important is to end user? IMO, and best regarded Lower SAPS oil was Mobil1 ESP Formula 5W30 which did not have that much PAO, and had much less than many other oils. Still, it was a stellar oil.
End result is what matters, how manufacturer will cook it and using what is important, but I would not solely base my decision on that.
Now, these are new oils, and only measurement we have are pds and msds. So I personally would probably go with X2 if I was using VW508.00. In several years it will crystalize which is preferred oil and why.

The better idea is looking at VOA's, as amount of PAO is meaningless, unless it helps you sleep better at night.

You can also play with Lubrizol's Relative Performance Tool to (intentionally missue the tool) to compare 508.00 to SN-Plus to Dexos 1.

Last edited:
So you feel confident that you can discern quality differences between oils carrying the same VW approval by using an SDS?

The actual performance testing is what determines meeting the spec. VW 508 is a tough one and if it was easy to meet you'd see plenty of existing 0w20s slapping 508 on their list of approvals, but you don't.

Old VW 502 is very easy to meet, newer VW 504 is a much tougher spec. VW 508 is tougher for fuel economy requirements but still falls short of 504 in wear due to viscosity sacrifice and is also mid-saps.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by benjy
OE oils are special for sure!! especially costly $$$

Much cheaper than Redline.

Does the Redline situation remind you of when a smaller brewer gets scooped up by InBev/AB … what day does the head rings quit forming in your mug after each sip ?

Originally Posted by 4WD

Does the Redline situation remind you of when a smaller brewer gets scooped up by InBev/AB … what day does the head rings quit forming in your mug after each sip ?

LOL. Benjy talks about price, but shells out $13 for quart of Redline.

Originally Posted by 4WD

LOL. Benjy talks about price, but shells out $13 for quart of Redline.

And 508 is like $7.50 a QT at the dealer.

Back