Is it just me...

Wondering if it is just me- or does it seem used car prices seeming way higher now?

I've seen cars ( not trucks) at/nearly 200k still going for close to ten grand. Saw a Chevy Captiva with 240k going for a tad over 5 grand. I swear right now if it runs, it could go for 2000...

Also see that some private sellers going the car lot prices too. A few blocks from me there is a 10 Fusion SE with 170k going for 4800.

Is it just me? I know prices were higher, but they seem much crazier to me now.....

On a serious note, I think a lot of people that relied on public transportation are looking for low cost transportation due to COVID.

Originally Posted by dishdude
$4500 for a Dodge Aries K (front wheel drive)! The world is going mad. Check out that infotainment. Anything you want on the AM band from 530-1610 khz

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/ctd/d/phoenix-1981-dodge-aries-cs-4-door/7136525144.html

Well, it is almost a classic now.....
wink.gif

Originally Posted by dishdude
On a serious note, I think a lot of people that relied on public transportation are looking for low cost transportation due to COVID.

I agree. That Captiva I mentioned actually sold at that price too...

Scary what folks will pay for..

Maybe mass transportation actually... Has a massive downside... Great way to spread certain viruses.. Whoopsies
lol.gif

Yup.

I watch CL for project prii, they're selling faster than ever. I assume GrubHub drivers are snapping them up-- they've bought two of mine.

My ratty 95 F150, that I paid $600 for 6 years ago, got me $1100, needing front spring towers and a leaf spring for inspection. I thought it was "trucks are expensive" but from this thread maybe "wheels are expensive."

Originally Posted by daves87rs

I'm surprised a Captiva actually made it 240K...

There was a number of years where auto sales were down, a decade ago, and 10 year old cars it seems to be dominate the numbers in the cheap used market--there are cheap newer cars (driven hard and put away wet) and cheap older ones (gently taken care of) but all around, but my SWAG is that cheapo beaters are roughly 10 years in age now. That's not fallout from C4C as much as a loss in new vehicle sales. Edit: now that I've wandered off and thought about it more, it's not that 10 year old vehicles dominate the beater scene--it's the loss of vehicles above the beater level and not feeding that lower level that is putting a "strain" on the used market. Decrease the supply without impacting demand and the price goes up.

IMO too much of the USA hasn't got any public transit to speak of. So while in the cities demand for used cars may well have gone up--I don't see it impacting much of the rest of the USA.

I remember being a kid in the 90's and $200 would get you a vehicle with a year or two left. Running and moving without too many issues. Now it's past a grand, maybe more like two. That's well above appreciation. I think it's a confluence of factors: more road salt means vehicles have to hit the used market fast, else they just aren't worth anything--but that means they have lower miles and thus higher value. Higher bar to pass with OBDII inspections. And the aforementioned loss of new vehicle sales 10 years ago.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Those asking prices are dream prices.

What scares me is that people are paying those prices. And offering financing!!!!
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by eljefino
Yup.

I watch CL for project prii, they're selling faster than ever. I assume GrubHub drivers are snapping them up-- they've bought two of mine.

My ratty 95 F150, that I paid $600 for 6 years ago, got me $1100, needing front spring towers and a leaf spring for inspection. I thought it was "trucks are expensive" but from this thread maybe "wheels are expensive."

Interesting..that explains why I see so many of those for GH too......

Originally Posted by Delta
Originally Posted by daves87rs

I'm surprised a Captiva actually made it 240K...

Considering most were run hard as rentals and put away wet, I agree.

Though those Ecotec engines can take quite a beating......
smile.gif

That K car is sweet!! My father used to sell these at a Chrysler-Dodge/Pontiac dealership in Missouri. I had never realised the back door windows didn't roll down!

Back