Compare & decision. Lexus GS, Potenza vs DWS06

Posting a tire comparison here... continental DWS06 vs Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS. Vehicle is a 2014lexus GS350. This is our new "fun" car, which meant handling was important as was cabin comfort. Treadlife was not a concern, and I really wanted soft rubber, so this put me in higher-level UHP all seasons.

We bought the vehicle with Milestar 932s on it, a Taiwanese tire with pretty soft rubber that I'd never heard of. It was dead silent but mine wouldn't hold air at all.

Stock tires size is 235/45 r18.

Based on near paralysis by analysis of reviews I first installed the continental DWS06. I have no experience with UHP tires as we've always had ATs or touring tires. they were dead silent below 55 mph and had a super comfortable ride. The handling was actually very similar to the milestars that came on it, with slightly delayed steering response, maybe best described as relaxed, and a little sponginess in the rear. I'm not really an aggressive driver, but you could feel the rear dig in and scrub outward if you got on it through a turn. Very comfortable, quiet tire. It was hard for me to tell where the limit might be, and the steering feedback was muted. The vehicle already has a light wheel reminiscent of a crown vic and these tires stayed in that character.

But I couldn't keep them. At 60+ mph they would sing. It wasn't that loud, but it's the only sound they made, and the cabin almost reverberated with that single pitch. I'd turn the radio on but it just made me sad. For such a naturally quiet vehicle I thought I'd never take it out of town with that noise.

Discount Tire in Madison, AL is known for their customer service and impeccable mount and balance. I paid the difference for the Bridgestones and they installed them, no questions asked a few days later.

The RE980AS is by comparison, a Generally louder tire. It does not sing, instead it rumbles. I found the rumble more agreeable since it was more of a random noise and not a single tone. It's also a more direct steer with much better feedback for what's happening at the 4 corners. It's not as comfortable; you feel more of what's going on, but the gs350 is still a Lexus and is better at subduing road vibrations than it is tone.

Finally, looks. The Bridgestone has a pretty vertical sidewall on the oem-sized 8" wide wheel, whereas the continental rounded out some. If you're into that sort of thing, the continental looked better to my eye and held the edge of the rim perfectly. The Bridgestone comes in 2nd there. If you find yourself making snappy maneuvers in traffic and want the precision, the looks will pale immediately. The Potenza is more eager to control body motion.

Hope this helps someone.

-meep

I had their predecessors, the RE960 and RE970 on my 530i in size 235/45/17. I was running UHP A/S tires because I thought I'd get more treadlife compared to dedicated summer tires. I was wrong. I barely got 20-25K miles out of them, even with rotations. So, if I'm going to get such short treadlife, then I might as well just run dedicated max perf summer tires, get the same treadlife, but get better grip/traction and steering response. So I went with ContiExtremeContact Sport this time around, and so far I'm very happy.

I had the DWS06's on a Mazda 6. I got them for they're reputation as being a very good all-season tire (if not one of the best). They are much better in the snow and ice than most other all-season tires. The aggressive thread pattern is largely responsible for this. The downside is a little nosier tire but in my opinion tolerable especially for the performance tradeoffs (the noise was not much more than the original set of Yokohamas which were poor in every performance characteristic). I got close to 40K miles out of the Conti's. I have never got that kind of tread life from any Bridgestone (the Yokos were even worse). While Bridgestones have very good road manners, tread life does not seem to be one of their better traits when compared to other performance all season tires. Their winter performance is not in the same league as the DWS06's either.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I have the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S on our 2013 GS350 F Sport.
Good rubber. Ain't cheap.

But that is High Performance summer tire, and probably best in its class.
My understanding OP wants high performance all season tire.

Nice comparison article! Thank you for sharing your experience
thumbsup2.gif

Do you need all-season tires in Alabama?
smile.gif

Wouldn't summer tires be a better choice? They might even be quieter due to having smoother tread (no need for sipes)

You'd probably like the grand touring summer tires. They should give handling as good as a UHP all-season but be quieter and more comfortable Examples available in your size 235/45-18 include:
Goodyear EfficientGrip
ContiPremiumContact
Michelin Primacy 3
Bridgestone Turanza T005A
Vredestein Ultrac Satin
Hankook Ventus Prime 3

I know you said you don't care about treadlife, but as QP said, 20-25k is typical for the UHP all-season category, and mirrors my experience with such tires (Falken Ziex ZE950, Dunlop SP Sport Signature, ContiExtremeContact, a distant ancestor to the DWS06)

Also, what was the price difference between the tires you tried? Maybe for $20 difference it's worth the extra cost, but $100 might not be, for example. I heard DT has good customer service, but they don't have any stores in the notheast
cry.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Nice comparison article! Thank you for sharing your experience
thumbsup2.gif

Do you need all-season tires in Alabama?
smile.gif

Wouldn't summer tires be a better choice? They might even be quieter due to having smoother tread (no need for sipes)

You'd probably like the grand touring summer tires. They should give handling as good as a UHP all-season but be quieter and more comfortable Examples available in your size 235/45-18 include:
Goodyear EfficientGrip
ContiPremiumContact
Michelin Primacy 3
Bridgestone Turanza T005A
Vredestein Ultrac Satin
Hankook Ventus Prime 3

I know you said you don't care about treadlife, but as QP said, 20-25k is typical for the UHP all-season category, and mirrors my experience with such tires (Falken Ziex ZE950, Dunlop SP Sport Signature, ContiExtremeContact, a distant ancestor to the DWS06)

Also, what was the price difference between the tires you tried? Maybe for $20 difference it's worth the extra cost, but $100 might not be, for example. I heard DT has good customer service, but they don't have any stores in the notheast
cry.gif

He is in Huntsville area. No need for snow tires, obviously, but contrary to general understanding winters in AL are not warm. I lived there 8 years, and yes, summer tire is OK, but January and February can easily drop below 32, some icy rain, etc.

Yep- nice write up. Taking the time to note these nuances does help out lots of tire buyers.

I had staggered as OEM and went up one size to 245/45/18 fronts 255/45/18 rears in the DWS Extreme flavor. My take was they as most likely perfect choice but my parameters were stronger toward some nasty seasonal road conditions per Colorado winter months for a rwd sport coupe.
In the wettest of parts, the tread may deliver as well but otherwise, I can see a move to something not quite as aggressive. Tread noise seemed very livable IF you want / need the UHP A/S traction parameters. Not needed, tread noise of any aggressive tire is nit few need to live with.

Back