Fram Titanium 20k mile oil filters at AAP....

Just saw that yes.... Fram is returning to AAP...

Fram Titanium oil filter going to be at AAP.... Rated for 20,000 miles... Grip on filter all over like old school Purolator filters used to have... All Black color looks good to me.

Price is $14.99....

This will be likely added to oil filter deals coming up at AAP.

Fram Force oil filter... Rated for 15,000 miles.... 98 percent efficiency greater than 20 microns... Orange can color...

Last edited:
Not sure...

Thinking this is a AAP deal only...

Says it's only available at AAP.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Not sure...

Could be just re-badged Ultra and TG for AAP.

Update - Yep, it says "Available exclusively at Advance Auto Parts" on the links I gave above.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Not sure...

Update - Yep, it says "Available exclusively at Advance Auto Parts" on the links I gave above.

I read that from the AAP site... And it said that on there... Available only at AAP...

I believe the Titanium filter probably uses the same media as the Ultra.

I'm going by the AAP in my area tomorrow to buy a Titanium oil filter..

Last edited:
Not sure...

I was there today. Cool looking canister. All charcoal black crinkle finish. They had Ultra still on the shelf too.

No Ultra filters in my AAP stores for years now....

This one is a commercial store too. That's probably why the Ultras were still there.

Originally Posted by wemay
No Ultra filters in my AAP stores for years now....

This one is a commercial store too. That's probably why the Ultras were still there.

Ahh ok...

Yeah the stores around me are all just regular stores I guess.

I'm very glad Fram is back at AAP....

Gives me another oil filter option.

Napa Gold on my car right now. Just rolled past 309,000 miles...

Who has used an Ultra and noticed longer engine life? No regurgitating marketing claims or referring to a study or a paper. Just real life longer engine life.

Nope.
The Fram page says the Titanium is a metal mesh backed synthetic blend media.
It sounds like it is a Toughguard with metal end caps and wire mesh backing in the media. Not worth $15 at all.

The Force sounds like a slightly upgraded Extra Guard.

Originally Posted by blupupher

Nope.
The Fram page says the Titanium is a metal mesh backed synthetic blend media.
It sounds like it is a Toughguard with metal end caps and wire mesh backing in the media. Not worth $15 at all.

The Force sounds like a slightly upgraded Extra Guard.

Sounds like the Titanium's media is in between an Ultra and TG since the efficiency is specified at 99%+ vs 99% for the TG. The 2-layer media on the Titanium, even though synthetic blend, gives is a bit more efficiency and more holding capacity (ie longer recommend max mileage rating) than the TG.

Yep, the Force has slightly better efficiency and is rated for longer mileage use than the EG, so media must be slightly different.

Originally Posted by CT8
Who has used an Ultra and noticed longer engine life? No regurgitating marketing claims or referring to a study or a paper. Just real life longer engine life.

Good question... Don't know any answers...

But if efficiency does not matter at all then why not just run a filter that is say 20 percent at 20 microns... And always run that type of filter for as long as you own it... See how long the motor runs. Take apart the motor and weigh the parts and compare those weights to what the orginal parts weighed. Only thing to do here I guess
smile.gif

Originally Posted by CT8

There's been papers that show that more efficient oil filters give lower (cleaner) particle counts. I've taken UOA PC data from members here using different oil filters, and plotted the PC data which does show that more efficient filters can show better UOA PC data. Less particles in the oil means less wear on parts. That's the whole reason ISO Cleanliness specs exist in industry. Same principles apply to an engine. It only makes sense that less particles in the oil means less debris being smashed between moving parts that can cause wear.

SAE type studies are as good as anyone here could do themselves trying to do a long term controlled test. Too many other variables would be injected in a "real life" test anyway. But regardless of the study paper data, people run what they want anyway, based on really nothing ... carry on.
grin2.gif

I'm thinking the Fram Ultra for 8.97 looking a whole lot more appealing. Go thing I'm stock up on filters. Most of them were half the cost of that thing.

The filter media is different for both filters at AAP.

Synthetic blend filter media for the Titanium and Force filters. . And the Force filter has 20 percent more filter media.

A 15k mile rates oil filter for $9.99 is not all that bad in my opinion. The Titanium filter is too high at $14.99. .

Though I bet these filters will eventually be part of the oil deals there at AAP.

The filter media is different for both filters at AAP.

Synthetic blend filter media for the Titanium and Force filters. . And the Force filter has 20 percent more filter media.

A 15k mile rates oil filter for $9.99 is not all that bad in my opinion. The Titanium filter is too high at $14.99. .

Though I bet these filters will eventually be part of the oil deals there at AAP.

I agree, it is a deal between AAP and Fram for a store specific filter.
Basically the Titanium is a little "better" than the ToughGuard, but not as "good" as an Ultra.
The Force is a little "better" than an ExtraGuard, but not as "good" as a ToughGuard.

So Fram now makes 6 levels of filters, (from "worst" to "best").
  • Core
  • ExtraGuard
  • Force
  • ToughGuard
  • Titanium
  • Ultra

Half are store specific filters (Core is Walmart Tire and Lube, not usually available to the public, and now these from AAP).
We do also have the Fram Pro and Fram Pro Synthetic filters (again, not designed for general public, but they get out), but these are just clones of ExtraGuard and Ultra without the grippy stuff.

I see no reason at current price points to buy a Force over an Extraguard or even a Toughguard.
Same for the Titanium, just barely "better" than a ToughGuard, but not as good as an Ultra, yet cost more that either.

As mentioned, it may end up being worth if in one of the AAP bundles with a rebate.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Okay, what is the meaning and difference between a regular and a commercial store?

Commercial stores deal with and deliver to shops.
Regular retail only deals with general public.
Commercial stores have much more volume (and therefore usually more inventory, and tend to get new things first).

Back