Ordering a Milwaukee M12 impact, 1/2 or 3/8?

That is the question
I'm splurging on a cordless impact, because it's hot and I'm tired
12.gif

I've got a 1/2 Earthquake for the big stuff, it's my only non hand tool
Even for lug nuts it's kind of a chore
I was looking for something to help me in general under hood work (timing belt, valve cover, upper intake, maybe some caliper bolts and lug nuts
I want light and compact, understanding that I'm giving up a little power for it (that's fine, see pneumatic above)
Found the Milwaukee M12 stubby impact, looks the perfect size for me
Rated for 250 lb ft for both 3/8 and 1/2 inch models
That's probably optimistic, but if it can remove a 80 lb ft lug nut, I'd be satisfied
The difference is strictly the drive
I inadvertently already ordered the 1/2, but I can cancel for the 3/8
The 1/2 was $40 cheaper ($255 vs $295)
For that you get tool, a 4.0 Ah battery, a 2.0 Ah battery, and a charger
Good to see a wide selection of tools, I'm probably gonna need a new drill/screw gun room
I guess it's just down to what sockets I have vs what I'm willing to buy?
1/2 sockets probably ever so slightly heavier?
1/2 inch sockets don't usually come below a 10mm?
I guess I could snap on a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter for the occasion?

What say you?

I had the same dilemma. I wanted a cordless for mainly lugs and and lite auto work. I got the 3/8 stubby and it removes the lugs on my frontier (100 pounds of torque) with ease. I love it and would buy it over the 1/2 inch again. I got a 6.0 battery also.

Got the impact socket set from HF and love my setup!

Last edited:
which one (1/2 or 3/8) do you frequently use/reqire?

I made up my mind RE: getting M12 3/8" when I bought one earlier this year, and no regrets since (helped me finished a few repairs and saved my wrist.

Q.

Neither.

I have:

1/2" HF impact
3/8" HF impact
1/4" Dewalt impact driver
3/8" Milwaukee M12 cordless ratchet

The 1/2" HF impact I use for the heavy stuff like lug nuts, axle bolts, etc. The M12 cordless ratchet is probably my most used tool, especially for under hood and hard to reach stuff. Highly recommend it over a 3/8" impact if you have to choose. I got mine refurbished on ebay for a really good deal.

I have a 3/8 Milwaukee stubby that I use daily, It will do 80 ft lbs lugs but runs out of steam with anything over 120 ft lbs! 2ah batteries are about worthless.....You want at least 3ah. 4 or 6ah even better!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I have all Dewalt battery equipment.

When I researched 1/2" impacts, I ended up going with the Dewalt 899. No regrets.
I have two of the DCF887 impact driver's and three of DCL050 LED lights - which are pretty awesome.

Regarding your question - I would rather have too much than not enough, so I would pick the 1/2" over the 3/8".

3/8" impact drive, definitely!

I got a Milwaukee M12 3/8 impact drive about five years ago, and it quickly became my second most-used tool. I use it for everything! Car tasks, lag bolt driving, occasional lug nuts (with a 1/2" square adapter), and all kinds of industrial maintenance. (I've got a 1/2" Dewalt 18V impact for the big jobs and lug nuts.)

The 3/8", almost everything on a car where you need that size impact a 3/8 is more appropriate and when you're talking tight spaces the size difference between 1/2 and 3/8 sockets make a difference. Most bolts that require a 1/2 impact are going to be either large (like 18mm and up) and better served with something bigger than the stubby. I have the 3/8 and don't even know why they make a 1/2 version since it isn't any more powerful.

20200605_220742_resize_56.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by clinebarger
I have a 3/8 Milwaukee stubby that I use daily, It will do 80 ft lbs lugs but runs out of steam with anything over 120 ft lbs! 2ah batteries are about worthless.....You want at least 3ah. 4 or 6ah even better!

+1. The 250 ft-lbs isn't realistic imo. But it is convenient for what it is...

Originally Posted by stanlee
The 3/8", almost everything on a car where you need that size impact a 3/8 is more appropriate and when you're talking tight spaces the size difference between 1/2 and 3/8 sockets make a difference. Most bolts that require a 1/2 impact are going to be either large (like 18mm and up) and better served with something bigger than the stubby. I have the 3/8 and don't even know why they make a 1/2 version since it isn't any more powerful.

The 1/2 would be handy for lugs if the 250ft lb was realistic. Not saying the m12 gun isn't convenient - it is. But it's not strong enough to use it alone with a 1/2" lug set.

[Linked Image from wompampsupport.azureedge.net]

Well, the deed is done
My wallet hurts
cry.gif

I'm not used to spending good money on good tools
I usually spend good money on the parts, and resign myself to Harbor Freight for the tools
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...nd-Bag-2598-22-2554-20-2557-20/313167246
Beware a cheaper bundle, where some of the tools are the older non fuel models
I needed a new drill anyway
After adding the 3/8 Fuel ratchet, it's pretty much cheaper to buy the bundle
I'm trying to get the most out of my stimulus and savings
49.gif

And I guess I'll find a use for the 1/4 inch impact driver
...would it imitate a 1/4 inch impact wrench at all?
At least buying from Home Depot, I should be able to get decent warranty service vs an online seller
Apparently you get 5y on the tool, 2y on the batteries

"Beware a cheaper bundle, where some of the tools are the older non fuel models"

This is faulty thinking. Many M12 and M18 tools are only available in non fuel and are not "older models".

I own about 20 Milwaukee in all types, construction, auto, and lawn and garden ............. still waiting for a mower ................ WHEN MILWAUKEE??

The M12 fuel ratchet was returned to HD because the head is too large in confined areas. The stubby Fuel and 3/8" and 1/4" non fuel ratchets are used the most.

BTW - it is 3 years on the batteries - never a problem with any tool or battery in years of use.

Originally Posted by michaelluscher
[Linked Image from wompampsupport.azureedge.net]

Well, the deed is done
My wallet hurts
cry.gif

I'm not used to spending good money on good tools
I usually spend good money on the parts, and resign myself to Harbor Freight for the tools
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...nd-Bag-2598-22-2554-20-2557-20/313167246
Beware a cheaper bundle, where some of the tools are the older non fuel models
I needed a new drill anyway
After adding the 3/8 Fuel ratchet, it's pretty much cheaper to buy the bundle
I'm trying to get the most out of my stimulus and savings
49.gif

And I guess I'll find a use for the 1/4 inch impact driver
...would it imitate a 1/4 inch impact wrench at all?
At least buying from Home Depot, I should be able to get decent warranty service vs an online seller
Apparently you get 5y on the tool, 2y on the batteries

That's a good price. I priced out what I already have (stubby, hammer drill, 2ah battery, 4ah battery/bag/charger starter bundle) + what it would cost to complete that bundle and it came to the exact same price...but from various unauthorized Amazon and eBay sources (like what I have came from). Bundles are pretty much the only way to get a good price for Milwaukee at Home Depot

Originally Posted by user52165
"Beware a cheaper bundle, where some of the tools are the older non fuel models"

This is faulty thinking. Many M12 and M18 tools are only available in non fuel and are not "older models".

I own about 20 Milwaukee in all types, construction, auto, and lawn and garden ............. still waiting for a mower ................ WHEN MILWAUKEE??

The M12 fuel ratchet was returned to HD because the head is too large in confined areas. The stubby Fuel and 3/8" and 1/4" non fuel ratchets are used the most.

BTW - it is 3 years on the batteries - never a problem with any tool or battery in years of use.

... could've saved $80 by knowing that
The fuel version is noticably chunkier than the non fuel in the head area, we'll see how this affects me when it arrives
Could always return it if need be

Alright, I redid the order
I swapped the M12 Fuel 3/8 ratchet for a non fuel version
In exchange, I got an extra bag, 2 extra batteries, and an extra charger
I also saved $50
...I'll never understand retail
confused.gif

Originally Posted by greenjp
"Fuel" is just Milwaukee's marketing term for the brushless motors right?

Yes.

Not exactly...

They do offer brushless motor that aren't FUEL.

FUEL is their strongest line.

i've been meaning to order up that 3/8 m12 stubby for a while. What is the tool only or tool with the big batteries going for these days?

In my line up, i have my IR 1/2 air impact and astro 3/8 stubby. I love both and they all have their purposes. I also have non-fuel M12 3/8 ratchet and 1/4 hex that i use a 3/8 or 1/2 adapter. Obviously no enough power to remove things but speeds up my whole process. I think the 3/8 stubby should help me speed it up even more.

[Linked Image]

Well, $515 later it's all here
I've used it for a few wheel changes, and replacing the tank on the Grand Prix
So far, it does everything I ask of it
I do notice a difference on over torqued lug nuts between the 2.0 and 4.0 batteries
Breakdown on pricing
The hammer drill, impact drill, with large/small battery and a charger came with a free 3/8 ratchet (special) for $199
The 3/8 stubby impact wrench, also with large/small battery and charger, was $269
Now if you buy this bundle Home Depot Link, you do upgrade to a Fuel 3/8 ratchet
But you lose two batteries, a charger, and a bag
...for $50 EXTRA
I doubt it's that much better
I hope I get my money's worth out of all this
I don't mind spending for good things, as long as they prove a good value
I have exactly 0 use for the 2553-20 1/4 inch hex impact driver
Anyone want a good deal on a brand new one
wink.gif

It's still in the plastic, PM me

I have exactly 0 use for the 2553-20 1/4 inch hex impact driver
Anyone want a good deal on a brand new one
wink.gif

It's still in the plastic, PM me

I never knew what I'd use an impact driver for until I got one in a package deal with a 1/2" impact wrench. I now have 3 of them and they are my favorite tools along with my electric ratchet.

I'd urge you to get a bit set such as this, which I own and has a versatile selection, and give it a try for a while:

Makita Bit Set

Most of the time I have a 3/8" socket adapter or a Phillips screwdriver bit on it. So many uses. My buddy's Milwaukee Fuel impact driver will do lug nuts on his 48' car trailer with a 1/2" socket adapter. He does have the impact wrench also but wanted to test the power.

Back