2 stroke oil

I have 2 gallons of brand name 2 cycle outboard engine oil. Equivalent quality for a chainsaw, string trimmer, etc?

2 stroke outboard oil cannot be used in any other 2 stroke engine? Whats so different about it?

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
You can't use outboard oil in a 2 stroke.

Basically you should not use outboard 2 stroke oil in a chainsaw or trimmer. There are some who say that you can use tcw-3 2 stroke oil in a trimmer or chainsaw but you need to run the mix at either 40 to 1 or 32 to 1

Outboard 2 Stroke Oil is designed for water cooled engines. I used it in my cheap junk Poulan trimmer and it left ALOT of carbon build up on the piston.

They do have multi use oils, but I have my doubts about the quality. Usually it's some cheap stuff found at the gas station.

Originally Posted by opus
I have 2 gallons of brand name 2 cycle outboard engine oil. Equivalent quality for a chainsaw, string trimmer, etc?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwijzpOa_uvpAhVPpZ4KHSSvBHI4ChAWMAN6BAgDEAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.comolube.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2017%2F05%2FOutboard-vs.-Snowmobile.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3fJYIBPmpOl6Snu5Wy8Bf9

Last edited:
I have been using outboard 2 stroke oil TCW3 in my chainsaw and string trimmer for 40 years without any problems. l like to live on the edge.

Originally Posted by WobblyElvis
I have been using outboard 2 stroke oil TCW3 in my string trimmer for years without any problems.

+1

Last edited:
I have been using outboard 2 stroke oil TCW3 in my chainsaw and string trimmer for 40 years without any problems. l like to live on the edge.

I also have been using 2 stroke outboard oil in my OPE for 30 years. In my mind the outboard oil is better.

You and me both (only about 10yrs for me) .. No problems here

In the early '90s, my brother's (now ex) FIL gave me several qts of Quaker State outboard oil along with a leaf blower and a 'weed eater' (whipper snipper for the Aussies). Have used nothing but that oil and both are still running strong.

Outboard engines are thermostat at 140°. Air cooled saws and trimmers run
a good deal hotter. A richer(oil) might get you through though.

My 2¢

I ran out of 2 stroke oil and have been using engine oil instead. Weed wacker hasn't blown up yet.

Don't throw the oil out. There's no reason to be wasteful. TC-W3 rated/certified oils are very high quality and will work fine in your OPE. People get wrappedd around the axle over boat motor oil but the testing required for certification reveals that this stuff is very capable. It's ashless because one requirement is for the oil to pass a filter plugging test and when mixed with water a low ash oil will create gelation which leads to filter plugging. It's tested at lean ratios of 100:1 and torque loss must fall within a set limit. It also has two tests that are done in air-cooled engines where the cooling air is reduced/eliminated in order to cause an overtemp condition. How many boats get limped into the marina with a failed impeller and practically zero cooling flow? It happens every single day and the oils are tested to simulate this.

It would be foolish to throw gallons of TC-W3 oil away when you have lawn equipment that will operate perfectly with it.

I've run 2 cycle outboard oil in multitudes of 2 strokes. I've run yamalube and Mercury two stroke oil in basically everything.

Dirt bikes, jet skis, weed whackers, chainsaws, banshees....

My Stihl Ms 250 has eaten a case of yamalube.

To Foways point the most common maintenance item is the roached impeller you dont discover until the overheat alarm

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Brian123
Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
You can't use outboard oil in a 2 stroke.

Basically you should not use outboard 2 stroke oil in a chainsaw or trimmer. There are some who say that you can use tcw-3 2 stroke oil in a trimmer or chainsaw but you need to run the mix at either 40 to 1 or 32 to 1

32 to 1 i will give you more power and longer engine life.

Back