Glassware for bevarages

I just ordered some new glasses for sipping tequila. I was using champagne glasses but after doing a little googling I ordered a couple GLENCAIRN Crystal Whiskey Glass.

Thought it would be interesting to see if any of you agree with using the correct glass for you spirits makes a difference.

With wine from what I've ben told yes. The wider deeper glasses i have for Scotch seems to open the nose and flavor up especially if a a few drops of water.

Yes, the correct glass will make a difference. For tequila, when I used to drink it, was a shot glass. I didn't know you could sip tequila.

One things I noticed about bars in Europe is that they always use the correct glassware. Guinness goes in a Guinness glass.

Tequila can get very expensive and it's sipped like fine whisky. Not by me, though. I don't like tequila or Scotch. Give me bourbon or rye.

I don't think the correct glass shape makes much of a difference but it certainly adds to the experience and is certainly suave.

Yes the correct glassware does make a difference. Do you think that the myriad of shapes and stem vs. no stem that evolved over the centuries didn't have a purpose ?

You don't need Waterford crystal to do it right, proper glassware doesn't have to be expensive. But you should make an attempt to match up the right shapes and styles for the types of wine and distilled spirits that you will be consuming.

Or you can be like Fred Sanford and drink Champipple out of a jelly glass
lol.gif

Tequilas añejos share a lot with whiskey, being aged at least 18 months (although 24 months is more common) in oak barrels. That's why it's recommended that the best way to enjoy an añejo is to sip it from a whiskey glassware. It brings up a lot of aroma and flavor.

Originally Posted by favilac
Tequilas añejos share a lot with whiskey, being aged at least 18 months (although 24 months is more common) in oak barrels. That's why it's recommended that the best way to enjoy an añejo is to sip it from a whiskey glassware. It brings up a lot of aroma and flavor.

That's why I've been using champagne glasses over wide mouth cocktail glasses or a shot glass which I sipped out of for years until a friend of mine showed me how to sip. It's been several years and I don't remember exactly what he used but they were similar to the GLENCAIRN that I ordered and will be here today. I'm expecting something similar to the champagne glasses I have been using as the concept I believe is the same being wider at the bottom than the top with plenty of breathing room.

I know you said salt and lime ruin the experience in my other post and I agree but every once in while my younger self demands it. I use rock salt or margarita salt instead of table salt and instead of fresh lime I use bottled lime, either Key lime or I have some sweetened lime that I really like.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CT8
The Glass adds to the experience.

It sure does, as do any adds.

...consider your water and ice also if you add a splash to anything. If you are on public water, the chlorine and whatever else they use will impact the taste. Funny how I never noticed when I was younger:)

The area I visited in Mexico drank what they called Mexican Flag - one shot of each of lime juice, white tequila, and sangria, all to represent the flag colors.

My choice of drink is an ice cold beer served in a frosted mug.

Originally Posted by Bud

cheers3.gif

Even amongst beers, there's a difference among glasses to choose.
My preferences in beers change according to the seasons.
So do the serving temps (not ice cold in winter), and if I should chill the glass before enjoying.

So much to consider...but it sure makes a difference!

Originally Posted by Bud

I have a couple of them mugs that have liquid in them in the freezer, I like to add a little clamato juice in mine.

You wouldn't happen to drink Budweiser would you?

Last edited:
My all around drinking glass from iced tea to rum and coke to sangria to modelo beer.
cheers3.gif

GUEST_0b40f092-df28-4c99-8ce6-17da28bb9fa4.jpg

Got those TOOWELL glasses. I like the shape and stability/heft - each glass weighs almost a pound. But the dirt trapped inside the glass is disappointing. If this is what they call "high purity crystal," then I'd hate to see what the low purity crystal looks like. For the price, I expected better.

I'm going to order one of those Gencairn glasses for comparison. It does not look as hefty and stable, but maybe it'll be fine.

teeYB4q.jpg

1BNo31Fh.jpg

OrEsBSe.jpg

Last edited:
I was expecting these new glassed to be similar to the champagne glasses I have been using but I was wrong, these glasses really bring out more intense flavor. If you really enjoy sipping a good spirit you owe it to yourself to try these.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H143UXW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

According to my wife they are not real crystal but that doesn't really matter to me.

[Linked Image]
These are what I have been using for all neat spirits for the past ten years. There are other glasses with similar shapes that work, but these Glencairn glasses are my go-to.

I just ordered some new glasses for sipping tequila. I was using champagne glasses but after doing a little googling I ordered a couple GLENCAIRN Crystal Whiskey Glass.

Thought it would be interesting to see if any of you agree with using the correct glass for you spirits makes a difference.
A mason jar would suite me fine..

Back