How to rebuilt a starter

Hola,

I am looking for a you tube video that shows how to rebuilt and lubricate a starter properly.. Way to many video options but not sure which is done correctly.

Thanks,

Depends on what kind of starter? There are a lot of types.

For example:
If you have the Denso starter used in old Camry (the cross section of solenoid looks like a pentagon), it is very easy to rebuild just by replacing the contacts on the solenoid and it is usually good enough.
If you have GM starter for the diesel truck, it is a lot more involved than just replacing the contacts or the solenoid.

You just have search on Youtube on which one is suitable for you and discern which one is a better rebuilt instruction out of so many.

JMHO.

I have a Bosch starter just trying to find a good video on how to properly rebuilt them, killing time does all.

Most Bosch solenoid caps are crimped on. You will need to be able to buy a new solenoid since opening it and renewing the contacts requires tools you will not have.. Next is brushes. Permanent magnet starters the entire brush assy. is replaced. you will need to find that part. Wound field starters, the brushes are usually spot welded. . Next is the drive. The equipment to open, replace springs, clean and reassemble a crimped drive is expensive, so you will need to buy a new drive. Unless you have the ability to buy wholesale. those parts will cost more than a reman starter.
Some starters have a failure point, like NipponDenso contacts, but you said Bosch Old delco starters are easy to renew, they were easy to disassemble, cap and brushes screw on, drives usually very robust and can be reused.
Sadly, those days are gone.

Rod

You are in luck. YouTube "110 Bosch Starter" Very good video. I just did my Bosch using that video and ragtoplvr from here. Be sure to block brush springs if you plan on reusing them

Last edited:
Back