Bought a truck finally, warning no Ford content

My buddy got an 03 HD with a 6 l. It was a plow truck and looked like it had been parked in the Atlantic. The guy had done nothing but plow snow and park it. I doubt it ever got washed. I wanted to kill my buddy when he showed me the Thing with only 80k in 2012. In spite of all that and abuse being ALL it ever saw this beast is still going strong today.. that's an honest to goodness real working truck. When you change that tranny oil pan make sure to get the right one. There's a couple different ones that easily get mixed up . It's a bit hard on gas but who cares with an occasional use hauler. I'd definitely run synthetic tranny oil in it and change out the Dexcool if I didn't know how old it was in there.

Originally Posted by GMguy84
Welcome to the LSX club
thumbsup2.gif

Have owned several of these rigs in Suburban/Sierra/Silverado over the past 10 years
thumbsup2.gif

Here's my work truck, a "rare dog" a limited production '01 Silverado 1500HD LQ4 6.0/6L80E 4x4 crew cab I scored last summer in Dallas for $1700 cause i convinced wholesale dealer that the "engine and front diff" were no good LMAO
wink.gif

6L80 in 2001? Was that swapped in or a typo? I thought those came out much later. Either way, decent deal!

Looks like a fun project for the OP too. Good luck. Always fun to have a toy to mess with.

Looks good, that'll be a nice truck when you're all set. Wonder if the gauge steppers have been done already because 280k on original dash I'd be shocked.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Good looking truck. White is probably one of my favorite colors on GM's of this vintage. Fix the mirror and center console with some eBay parts and she's good.

Honestly didn't know they made a non HD 2500. Seems as backwards as the 1500 HD.

The 2500 became the 1500HD. The 2500HD has the larger 10.5 inch 14 bolt and larger frame from the cab back

The 2500 is an 8600lbs GVW truck while the 2500HD is a 9200 GVW truck. (in that time area.)
smile.gif

Can't beat it for 1500 bucks, parts are cheap, they made tons of them and they are easy to work on. I have loved all my LS powered stuff.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Originally Posted by dishdude
This is such an eljefino thread
lol.gif

Love it!

I've been wanting to get a truck for a long time. I had been looking at 6.0 Powerstrokes, guess I ended up with a different 6.0L haha. The truck is fun to drive but it does need some front end work. The Bilstein HD shocks showed up today actually.

After the 7.3 Powerstroke all other Powerstrokes are a disgusting cluster you know what for repair and maintenance $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by GMguy84
Welcome to the LSX club
thumbsup2.gif

Have owned several of these rigs in Suburban/Sierra/Silverado over the past 10 years
thumbsup2.gif

Here's my work truck, a "rare dog" a limited production '01 Silverado 1500HD LQ4 6.0/6L80E 4x4 crew cab I scored last summer in Dallas for $1700 cause i convinced wholesale dealer that the "engine and front diff" were no good LMAO
wink.gif

6L80 in 2001? Was that swapped in or a typo? I thought those came out much later. Either way, decent deal!

Looks like a fun project for the OP too. Good luck. Always fun to have a toy to mess with.

Oops........ Wishful thinking
crackmeup2.gif
I meant 4L80E
thumbsup2.gif

Dave

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
Is the oil pressure that high? or bad sensor?

Those had common oil pressure sensor issues and the stepper motors ALWAYS go out on the junk 03-07 truck/SUV Gauge clusters

Dave

Congrats! Should be a good project and work truck. You can find diamonds in the rough at tow yards...that's where my Explorer you are so familiar with came from.
grin.gif

As for wanting a 6.0 Powerstroke, I know all the downsides and fixes for them. They can be a reliable truck once you fix all the little things.

I figure if something catastrophic happens to this truck, I can sell the LQ4 and 4L80E to someone doing a sloppy swap. Currently the hardest part of this whole thing is dealing with the DMV.

Originally Posted by 02SE
If it's been in your area all it's life, it should be rust free. Which would make it a good deal.

I have peeked under and don't see any rust.

Put the new tailgate handle on yesterday and the new mirror showed up from Amazon today.

The hardest part of this whole thing is trying to get it registered. Went to AAA and as soon as they saw the lien paperwork they bailed. Of course our local DMV office is closed and I loathe trying to do this stuff online. I called and had them do the callback thing since it was a 2 hour wait. Finally got a call back from an incredibly helpful person who verified everything I needed and it was $526 to register the car. She said to make copies of all the paperwork I was given and put them in an envelope with the check and I would be good.

Originally Posted by 02SE
If it's been in your area all it's life, it should be rust free. Which would make it a good deal.

I have peeked under and don't see any rust.

Put the new tailgate handle on yesterday and the new mirror showed up from Amazon today.

The hardest part of this whole thing is trying to get it registered. Went to AAA and as soon as they saw the lien paperwork they bailed. Of course our local DMV office is closed and I loathe trying to do this stuff online. I called and had them do the callback thing since it was a 2 hour wait. Finally got a call back from an incredibly helpful person who verified everything I needed and it was $526 to register the car. She said to make copies of all the paperwork I was given and put them in an envelope with the check and I would be good.

Yikes that's steep...over 1/3 of the purchase price to register? CA I suppose.

Originally Posted by tbm5690

That covered any possible back fees plus registration. It has been recently smogged to I didn't have to worry about that.

That covered any possible back fees plus registration. It has been recently smogged to I didn't have to worry about that.

Had to look up what back fees were...that's a new one for me. Interesting.

Had to look up what back fees were...that's a new one for me. Interesting.

California always gets their money. I was just happy to have someone at the DMV who was incredibly helpful.

Back