Taking my kid fishing

My 5-year-old is excited to go fishing. He knows nothing about it and neither do I, although we're going with some friends that went fishing before, however, they're not avid fishermen by any means.

It'd be fresh water lake fishing, off a dock, western MI. From what I've researched, the fish we have here are bluegill, black crappie, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, rock bass, yellow perch, and northern pike, muskie, walleye, etc.

Keeping it on a budget, knowing this is probably not going to be a frequent activity for him, what do you guys recommend to have as bare necessities as far as equipment/gear, etc.?

So far I got him a 36" Zebco Dock Demon Deluxe Spinning Combo, and ordered some hooks (Gamakatsu Offset Shank Round Bend Worm Hooks 1/0) and some Yamamoto Senko soft plastic worms, although I'm guessing live worms may be better.

What else do I absolutely need? Weights/sinkers, bobbers, etc.? Links to specific products would be appreciated.

Thanks!

That is GREAT! The fact that no one knows what they're doing (but at least a responsible parent is involved) will make this trip a blast, i'm sure. I can't recommend anything other than to check if your location requires a license.

Man, have a good time and take a few pics. Not too many.
thumbsup2.gif

Your 5-year-old will never forget it.

My first rod/reel was a zebco pushbutton from K-Mart in metro Deroit area. Throwing the line will be biggest challenge. Before you go to lake put a sinker on the line and go in the yard and practice casting a bit. Getting a 5 year old to understand how to cast and not tangle line with a hook on the end may get dicey. :) Good luck Have Fun!

In this neck of the woods, earth worms make good bait.
Pick them early morning before they disappear in their holes.
Some moist dirt in a can is all they need for the trip to the lake.

Find out what other people are using around where you're going that's catching fish and get some of those. I remember when I was a kid we used to catch a ton of fish on a pier with a spool of line (no rod or reel just drop the line down), a hook, cut bait, and old spark plugs for weight because that's what we saw other people using to catch fish.

And bring a hat and sunscreen, and maybe keep a light jacket in the car in case it gets cold, oh and some ice cold drinks, and some folding chairs or you can sit on the cooler, just be comforatble and enjoy

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wemay
I can't recommend anything other than to check if your location requires a license.

Yup, got it taken care of. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Kawiguy454
MThrowing the line will be biggest challenge. Before you go to lake put a sinker on the line and go in the yard and practice casting a bit. Getting a 5 year old to understand how to cast and not tangle line with a hook on the end may get dicey. :)

Yes, i was practicing a little yesterday. Most likely I'm not going to let him cast it for the reasons you stated, at least initially.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
My 5-year-old is excited to go fishing. He knows nothing about it and neither do I, although we're going with some friends that went fishing before, however, they're not avid fishermen by any means.

It'd be fresh water lake fishing, off a dock, western MI. From what I've researched, the fish we have here are bluegill, black crappie, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, rock bass, yellow perch, and northern pike, muskie, walleye, etc.

So far I got him a 36" Zebco Dock Demon Deluxe Spinning Combo, and ordered some hooks (Gamakatsu Offset Shank Round Bend Worm Hooks 1/0) and some Yamamoto Senko soft plastic worms, although I'm guessing live worms may be better.

What else do I absolutely need? Weights/sinkers, bobbers, etc.? Links to specific products would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I think this great for both of you and thinking budget- links are for illustration purpose as I don't know what you know and don't- not a brand endorsement and all of this should be available at Walmart

snap swivels ( tie once- best way to change tackle)

https://www.amazon.com/JSHANMEI-Fis...;hvtargid=pla-4584138861789474&psc=1

Basic box tackle ( bit of everything you need - just make sure to get a fish stringer too. Basic assortment hooks, weight, floats etc

https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Claw-F...ackle+box&qid=1591380155&sr=8-16

Spinner Kit ( spoons, shysters, Mepps etc.) excellent for occupying time, motor skills, casting and makes you feel like you are fishing

https://www.amazon.com/Fishing-Spin...a1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

some kind of top water lure ( so it can be seen)

https://www.amazon.com/Smithwick-Lures-Devils-Horse-Fishing/dp/B007PWIF3U

That's a good starter kid for a child and budget friendly

Lastly, I recommend calling local landings or guides and see what the fish are being taken and definitely include whatever that is.

Good luck

Fishing with a simple bobber rig is what I recommend, especially for beginners. This will primarily be for panfish (bluegill), but you will catch other species too.

I cannot recommend enough using a slip bobber. This keeps all the hook/weight assembly at the last foot of the line during casting, making casting super simple. Yet, the slip bobber with stop knot will allow the hook to sink down as deep as you wish to set it (2 - 6 ft. or more).

https://wawangresort.wordpress.com/2014/07/30/walleye-and-bobbers/
https://www.101knots.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/How-to-Tie-a-Bobber-Stop-Knot.jpg

I just use a monofiliment slip knot and not the bead. The knot is small enough to pass through the pole eyelets/line guides. Awesome fun. Bluegill, being flat shaped, really twist and turn and put up a nice fight. And, they are one of the best tasting fish you will ever eat.

Hooks: https://fishingrefined.com/blog/best-hook-size-for-bluegill/
Weight: https://fishingrefined.com/blog/best-hook-size-for-bluegill/
Bobber: https://www.cabelas.com/product/Thi...dQ1MEAQYBSABEgLY-_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Easy/peazy. Cheap, Simple = more fun. The lighter you go (line size, etc,) the better for pan fish = more responsive and "bite" detecting. Not tuna fishing here.

Equally fun is getting a rubber practice plug and tossing it around the back yard
[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

Fishing is great for kids. I have a 14 year old grandson that lives to fish.

Awesome.

Bobber, split shot and lots of worms. Children's short attention spans and lures may not be the best combo for a first fishing experience. Keep the action coming.

Some other hints depending on how sensitive your kid is to the fish; use a needlenose to bend the barbs back (easier to remove from the fish...and people) and bring a set of long needlenose or forceps to remove the hook. Going Braveheart on what you caught may not be appreciated by the younger set...but I have daughters.

Enjoy!!! Take pics. I miss those days.

In addition to the great suggestions above, get a net. This week my 6 year old caught a huge Northern pike that we could not land without a net, and the next day he caught a large Bowfin.

I taught a wife and 6 kids to fish and the best advise you have gotten is to use a bobber and live worms cut into small 1" pieces on a #6 or #4 hook. And pick up every flat rock you see. It wont be long before you are teaching them to skip rocks if the fish are not bitting.

If where you're going doesn't have facilities or some mcdonalds or store close by bring some soap water paper towels etc

Congrats! That will be very exciting for both. I took my boy when he was 5 too and it was a blast. He's 7 now and always asking to go fishing. I find the pliers to be the most useful tool, not for him but for you. The Manley Super Pliers are awesome. Not cheap, but should last a lifetime. Bought mine in 2005 and still working as intended.

https://amzn.to/3czTolm

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

Keeping it on a budget, knowing this is probably not going to be a frequent activity for him, what do you guys recommend to have as bare necessities as far as equipment/gear, etc.?

Thanks!

My grandfather brought me fishing in Our local lake when I was 5. I am closing in on 63 and am still fishing. Being there and making it fun are the two most important things.

Me and some childhood friends got into fishing, including fly tying, but that faded as we grew older and other interests grew.

A few years ago, ended up renting a vacation cabin that backed up to a river, so I dug out my old gear, and brought it along.

Had forgotten what a simple pleasure it was.

For a beginner, I concur with the bobber recommendation, with some sort of bait. Allow him to get proficient with the basics of casting first, before moving onto lures and trolling from shore, where it can sometimes be difficult. Plenty of time to expand onto more.

I started my son fishing with a bobber and light weight....no hooks.
We did that for a while.

But he was a little younger than 5.

In Pennsylvania adults have to buy a fishing license that is good for one year to go fishing. Even if the kid is the only one with a reel if the adult touches the equipment to help the kid while near the water and the adult does not have a license the adult can be fined.

I do not know the laws in your state, but check and see if a license is required.

One thing to keep in mind is that it takes a MONTH OR MORE OF HOT DAYS for a good size lake to get warm enough to be safe to fall into and stay in it for a while if you can not get out. Just because it is a nice warm day do not expect the water to be safe to fall into. Almost every year in Pennsylvania some boater(s) (usually in a canoe) die because they end up in the water and the water is way too cold even though it is a nice day, but it was too earl in the season for the water to be warm enough.

Last edited:
Back