Thoughts on Castrol Edge EP 0w20 (gold bottle)?

pbm

This and Mobil1 AP (soon to be EP) are the two extended drain oils sold at Walmart.

I used the 'Search' function to find comparisons of them but the most recent was from 2013 and I'm
interested in the currently sold SN+ versions.

I will wait for some responses before giving my (amateur) thoughts on the two.

Originally Posted by Marco620
I would go M1,but Castrol would be okay too.

Can I ask why M1? Serious question because I'm genuinely curious.

Valvoline Advance, M1, Castrol Edge, and Pennzoil Platinum, and even Quaker State UD and the Warren Synthetics (SuperTech/AmazonBasics/Kirkland Signature) are all within a few inches of each other when it comes to performance. The difference is your application and what specs it must meet, the biggest being Dexos1 Gen2 (which is widely considered a all around solid standard when it comes to testing.)

Castrol EP/Pennzoil Ultra Platinum/M1 EP are a performance tier above the class listed above. They are able to handle a bit more abuse and typically have more detergent to keep the engine "just a little more cleaner than the rest."

Castrol's reputation as of late IMHO has been "meh." Compared to the others, their product isn't a standout at the price points they are offered at. Mobil 1 and Pennzoil are (for better or for worse) constantly coming up with newer formulas and seem to be on the up and up when it comes to meeting new specs. (Mobil 1 being better than Pennzoil, looking at you PUP...)

Bottom line - what and how you drive is a major factor in offering advice. Out of the two you listed, I would lean towards M1 EP.

Bought a couple Gold Jugs last year for $17 a Jug on Closeout at WM. I usually don't bother with Castrol they have a lousy rebate program. Don't need their free T-shirt or Tactical hat. Give me money Castrol.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Marco620
I would go M1,but Castrol would be okay too.

I agree ^^^^^

Mobil 1 AP now becoming Mobil 1 EP equals a really quite strong oil for the money.

Castrol EP of course is a very good oil too... Maybe this could well be wrong but I remember this oil being group 3. Whereas the Mobil 1 EP actually has a good amount of group 4 in it.

Thanks for the replies guys....here's my opinion for what it's worth....Either should be fine for 10K or more (unless it's all short trip driving) in a
TBI engine like my Ford Escape 2.5. For my GDI Focus I would prefer to use the Mobil because I feel the base oil is superior which is supposed
to be a better choice for keeping IVD's at bay in a GDI engine.

I'm thinking that Castrol uses Gr.III base oil and a great additive package to achieve it's long drain capability while Mobil EP uses Gr.III and PAO
base oil and therefore doesn't need such a stout additive package as Castrol....again...just my opinion.

Back