Used Mitsubishi Lancer prices

Hi all,

My dad was looking at the Mitsubishi Lancers as a cheap commuter car. They are significantly cheaper than other Similar vehicles. I know it was rumored that Mitsubishi was leaving the usa market for good a few years back giving people cold feet. Any thoughts on these. A few manual transmission models on Craigslist are really reasonable. If anyone has a Mitsubishi or experience please chime in.

I bought a manual-equipped 2008 Lancer GTS with the "Sun and Sound" package new and had it for about two years. I traded it in on an '09 Escape for the sole reason that I took up cycling and bikes don't fit so well in the Lancer. It was a very fun car to drive, and I had no reliability issues with it over the 30K (ish) kilometres I drove it.

I do, as a dealer mechanic. Much more reliable than our other brand Hyundai. The inside brake pads sometimes stick in the rear caliper and if someone has been hamfisted with the slider pins they might not come undone. At high mileage the front wishbones might need replacing and occasionally a track rod end.

I wouldn't know how to change a clutch on these, we haven't had a clutch failure since I work there, summer of 2013....

We had 1 engine go bad, but that car had an oil leak from a badly installed sandwhich plate at the oil cooler, so the owner could fit an oil temp and oil pressure gauge. Ran with low oil and with a heavy foot. That was a 1.8. On that same car I replaced a lambda probe this winter after failing emissions. Be aware we run thicker oils than typically in the US, in our case 5w30 acea C3. So keep an eye on oil consumption.

Not the fastest for body work, it's all a bit more work to take apart and put back together.

Originally Posted by Jetronic
I do, as a dealer mechanic. Much more reliable than our other brand Hyundai. The inside brake pads sometimes stick in the rear caliper and if someone has been hamfisted with the slider pins they might not come undone. At high mileage the front wishbones might need replacing and occasionally a track rod end.

I wouldn't know how to change a clutch on these, we haven't had a clutch failure since I work there, summer of 2013....

We had 1 engine go bad, but that car had an oil leak from a badly installed sandwhich plate at the oil cooler, so the owner could fit an oil temp and oil pressure gauge. Ran with low oil and with a heavy foot. That was a 1.8. On that same car I replaced a lambda probe this winter after failing emissions. Be aware we run thicker oils than typically in the US, in our case 5w30 acea C3. So keep an eye on oil consumption.

Not the fastest for body work, it's all a bit more work to take apart and put back together.

That and less than 1% of sales are manual transmissions..................

When I worked at a Mitsubishi dealer I don't think we ever had a problem with the late model Lancers, apart from a few warranty issues which were sorted by the first service. Even the Evo's were bullet proof.

overall, not in direct reply to o.p.'s decent question, mitsubishi vehicles do well in southeast asia where driving and maintenance can be "challenging." to be fair most mitubishis there are suv types. still, my gut impression is that they seem to rank higher than nissan, hyundai, kia, vw...but behind toyota, honda and daihatsu. it is a shame that mitsubishi, and suzuki for that matter, never established themselves solidly in north america. both brands are decent from what i have seen overseas.

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by Jetronic

That and less than 1% of sales are manual transmissions..................

Only manuals here, except the evos

I have. 2017 ES 2.4 awd with 30k as winter car. It's been reliable in the 3 years so far. Interior is somewhat loud and not the best on gas but it survives any winter condition.

Originally Posted by Silk
When I worked at a Mitsubishi dealer I don't think we ever had a problem with the late model Lancers, apart from a few warranty issues which were sorted by the first service. Even the Evo's were bullet proof.

I can back this; I used to own a 2011 evo and my roommate still has his 2008 Evo. They are a surprisingly reliable and basic car. I haven't heard any outstanding issues with them and Mitsu actually fixed many maintenance/reliability problems within the first year or two.

I'm trying to repair a 2012 at the moment and can't get aftermarket parts for it so I called the dealer today. 5 to 10 business days and no guarantees that the parts will even be available. Do I need to say (type) anymore?

In NZ we can get any part, aftermarket or genuine....even if they have to come from Japan, it's only a week.

Originally Posted by GSCJR
I'm trying to repair a 2012 at the moment and can't get aftermarket parts for it so I called the dealer today. 5 to 10 business days and no guarantees that the parts will even be available. Do I need to say (type) anymore?

Relative to US things in Canada move way slower and your auto market is way smaller. If you buy these cars you cannot assume quick parts.

If Canada is too small, then NZ is not even a blip. We can get ANY part for a Japanese car, export or JD, if not the same day from a local supplier, then a week from Japan, 3 weeks max. The longest I've had to wait was 2 months for an injector pump...but they had to make it as none were in stock in Japan. Aftermarket springs, standard, low, or performance would be same day from a local (closest city) supplier here. It's not the country, it's the motivation.

Originally Posted by Silk
If Canada is too small, then NZ is not even a blip. Aftermarket springs, standard, low, or performance would be same day from a local (closest city) supplier here. It's not the country, it's the motivation.

Not for this car for some reason as I've called my major suppliers. Standard coil springs are not available in the aftermarket here which is odd.

I did some recently on a 2017 VW Tiguan and everyone had those!

Back