My poor Jetta can't catch a break.

Driving back from my second job interview. 6 hours there and 6 back. I was on my 3rd hour coming back when this family of raccoons come out in the road. I went in between the raccoons. This guy decides to stop and go back... If he would have kept going all would have been fine. By the time I saw them I felt like I had two options. Brake and hit him head on. Or try to go in between them. I have had countless encounters with animals, I usually pick the second option. Can't win them all.

[Linked Image]

Repair bill is $2200
15.gif
. Destroyed the lower bumper and the radiator support.

Loaner is a 2020 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport. Nothing Sporty about it. What a weak engine in the Mitsubishi. It seems like it doesn't start accelerating till 3500 RPMs. My Jetta has a more powerful engine in it.
lol.gif

About 13 or 14 years ago I rented a beautiful pearl white Caddy DTS to take to a wedding 8 hours away.

While driving home on the highway, I hit a fox that popped out from the side of the road and killed him.
I slammed on my brakes, but it was too late (damage was done).
Lower bumper would scrape when going over dips in the road and there was red fur stuck in the cracked plastic bumper.

I hit a coyote in central PA going up a long steep grade. There was a car passing me at the time and one right behind me and we were all going over 60. So I couldn't go left and could not slam on the brakes. Hit that critter hard in my Golf TDI Wagon. Kept running but bent the radiator, intercooler and air conditioning radiator as well as damaging the front end. Saw the car of the guy behind me bounce up as he hit it after me. Bill to repair was over $5000. Car was new enough that all new OEM VW parts were used for the repair.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
I've been lucky to never hit an animal.

For me, it is distressing; the muffled thumping sounds of an animal bouncing under the car will certainly change your mood.

I drive off the road into a tree or ditch or wall. Ill injure myself before killing another animal.

But sometimes they scurry right out under the car.

Ran over a new puppy once back in the 80's that a Young couple were out walking
along the side of the road - WITHOUT A LEASH!
____

Why the long drive? No convenient Airplanes?

I'm only good for about 2.5 hours on the road. So, I couldn't do that trip.

Sorry for the Raccoon Family.

At least you have the Good looking Jetta in a nice colour
Not VW's latest garbage abomination - like mine.

Funny I cant see any damage in your picture.

Hope the interview went well. Would you have to move? or Was it at corporate HQ.

I had to travel to Maryland for a week a decade ago for my G job interview and training.
Tons of traffic. Took me 20 mins to get over a bridge to go 2.5 mile to the Corporate office from the Hotel!

I could NEVER do that - even for big bucks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by simple_gifts

For me, it is distressing; the muffled thumping sounds of an animal bouncing under the car will certainly change your mood.

I hit a teen riding a bike across the railroad crossing. Funny I don't recall any emotion other than surprise and concern.
Then He started swearing at me and pulled a knife out of his boot!

The cop later arrested him on suspicion of a Nursing home robbery in North Reading.
That was only 100 yards downhill from the Andover Police Dept. back in the early 80's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

I hit a teen riding a bike across the railroad crossing. Funny I don't recall any emotion other than surprise and concern.
Then He started swearing at me and pulled a knife out of his boot!

The cop later arrested him on suspicion of a Nursing home robbery in North Reading.
That was only 100 yards downhill from the Andover Police Dept. back in the early 80's.

Citizen's arrest! Citizen's arrest!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9efgLHgsBmM

same incident w/ same critter costs ~$4K for a SAAB 93 convertible (takes out intercooler and P/S lines)...ask how I know. Glad it was nothing worse for you.

Nailed a cat the other day at 85mph near I-35 S going to Pamona,KS. Its amazing how well the drive thru carwash works but i had to go through twice to get it mostly off.

I drive off the road into a tree or ditch or wall. Ill injure myself before killing another animal.

Really?

I don't like hitting them but I'm certainly not going to risk hurting myself/family or causing an accident to keep from it.. If there is no traffic I'll slow down, but generally it seems the more I try to avoid any animal the more likely I am to hit it.

Why the long drive? No convenient Airplanes?

I'm only good for about 2.5 hours on the road. So, I couldn't do that trip.

Flying to South West Kansas is almost impossible. Way more headache and costs versus driving. Its too rural.

Funny I cant see any damage in your picture.

If you look down towards the parking lot you will see that lower bumper hanging on the ground. It is hard to see.

Hope the interview went well. Would you have to move? or Was it at corporate HQ.

I got the job, and I would have to move. The job includes a Crown Vic with a red and blue light bar.

Originally Posted by Marco620
Nailed a cat the other day at 85mph near I-35 S going to Pamona,KS. Its amazing how well the drive thru car wash works but i had to go through twice to get it mostly off.
This was just south of Hays, KS. I'm surprised hitting a cat doing 85 did no damage besides taking it to the car wash. Very Luckyy.

Sorry about the car and the Racoon family, that sucks brother.

Congrats on the new job though. My wife would kill me if i tried going back to LE.

Originally Posted by Marco620
Nailed a cat the other day at 85mph near I-35 S going to Pamona,KS. Its amazing how well the drive thru carwash works but i had to go through twice to get it mostly off.

Same thing happened to me when I nailed a Doberman.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Family was on the way to Toronto for a vacation in 1987. Kids back then were ages 11 and 6. About halfway there from Detroit and I ran over a possum and the sound of the animal moving around underneath the vehicle as I passed over it, really bothered my wife and two kids.
Needless to say, the next 2-1/2 hour ride was not a happy time inside that 1984 Pontiac 6000. It really bothered them to see the possum killed. What's worse is that both kids turned around and looked outside the rear-view window, to see if the animal escaped unharmed.

No such luck. Sorry about the Jetta's misfortune and the forced payment of the insurance deductible.

Last edited:
Don't feel bad. Dad let us borrow his truck tonight to pick up some pine trees. 2 miles from their house and I hit a [censored] chicken. Feathers everywhere.

Back