2019 Toyota Prius Prime Oil/Filter recommendation

I have a 2019 Toyota Prius Prime - It's approaching it's last free Toyota care dealer oil change and I am on my own after this one.

It takes 0w16 from the factory which is sort of an odd ball - I do not know much about the toyota 1.8L hybrid motor and if it's picky with certain brands of oils vs not.

What should I put in it for it's next oil change?

OE Toyota Filter and Toyota 0W-16.
Easy to find at the dealer and reasonably priced imo. About $30 USD total.

That's what I use for my 2019 RAV4 Hybrid.
It works.

You can also pick up Mobil 1 or supertech 0w16 at walmart. I got mobil and my oem filter there for a reasonable price.

I order OEM filters from online discount dealers in quantity at under $4 apiece. I also stock up on wiper inserts, touch up paint, and cabin and air filters.

Any oil from the Major bottlers with the proper ratings will get the job done. Filter OEM.

Originally Posted by Danno
OE Toyota Filter and Toyota 0W-16.
Easy to find at the dealer and reasonably priced imo. About $30 USD total.

That's what I use for my 2019 RAV4 Hybrid.
It works.

Agreed.

Originally Posted by CT8
Any oil from the Major bottlers with the proper ratings will get the job done. Filter OEM.

Is Warren a Major bottler? Curious.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Originally Posted by CT8

Is Warren a Major bottler? Curious.

Yes. They make private labels such as SuperTech, AmazonBasics, and now Kirkland Signature. While we believe they are basically the same oil with some minor tweaks, the best of that bunch is Kirkland Signature @ $24.99 for 2 5QT bottles in store @ Costco. Only issue is they usually only carry 5W-30. They have 0W-20 and 5W-20 online, but it runs a few bucks more and most would just go to Walmart and grab SuperTech for about the same price per QT.

Amazon Basics and Kirkland oil comes in 0w16?

If I owned a hybrid Prius, I would run the stout Toyota 0w16 from the dealer. It's packed with additives specific to that engine. Right around $30 gets it done.

As a current owner of a 2016 Toyota Prius, I have tried a few oil brands on it.
I have used:
Mobil 1 Synthetic 0W-20 - Great no issues or change noticed
Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 - Great no issues or change noticed
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-20 - Great no issues or change noticed
Kirkland Oil is up next on the list and I am assuming I will not notice a difference.
Just make sure the oil is the weight and grade that the owners manual calls for.
As far as for a filter I have tried the OEM and the K&N PS-7021 which both appear to be the same build quality.

I think you can get the stock filter regularly on special at your Toyota parts department for close to $4. I think your most economical oil will be Costco Brand.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
... I would run the stout Toyota 0w16 from the dealer. It's packed with additives specific to that engine. ...
Is it more "stout" than other well-known brands of 0W-16? What specific additives are required for that engine?

Originally Posted by CR94
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
... I would run the stout Toyota 0w16 from the dealer. It's packed with additives specific to that engine. ...
Is it more "stout" than other well-known brands of 0W-16? What specific additives are required for that engine?

The very high moly levels would point to a unique Toyota OE oil formulation.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5070810/1

So I am confused.

Toyota recommends on 2020 Prius' that the 10K OCI only applies when using 0w16. If you use 0w20 you should do 5k OCI's. Not that I am against 5k's OCI's but that seems like a waste of oil when at 9,000 miles the oil is barely brown.

I have a 2019 which says 0w20 right on the oil cap.

Why does the slight difference in weight make a logical difference on going from a 5k to a 10k change in one model year that virtually has the same engine since 2016?

Originally Posted by luca
So I am confused.

Toyota recommends on 2020 Prius' that the 10K OCI only applies when using 0w16. If you use 0w20 you should do 5k OCI's. Not that I am against 5k's OCI's but that seems like a waste of oil when at 9,000 miles the oil is barely brown.

I have a 2019 which says 0w20 right on the oil cap.

Why does the slight difference in weight make a logical difference on going from a 5k to a 10k change in one model year that virtually has the same engine since 2016?

You should send your post to Toyota Inc via email (or make a cellphone call) and let them explain to you why 0w16 is now preferred.

I think the 4th gen Prius is still speced for 0W-20 and unless Toyota backspeced it for 0W-16, I'd stick to 0W-20.

Back