Hailstorm Yesterday

So with summer around the corner, the pop up thunderstorms are becoming more frequent. Trying to take a nap yesterday afternoon and start hearing loud bangs on the roof. We occasionally get pea sized hail, but this one turned into a doozy. Roughly ping-pong ball to golf ball sized started coming down with alot of the mix quarter sized. It's by far the biggest we've had in this area. These pictures don't show it well, but are the only ones that turned out.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Unfortunately it got the Tacoma and grandmothers Liberty. As you can see the tree protected some of the truck as only the hood and fenders are affected. The Jeep sustained substantial damage as she was in town and got the brunt of it. The entire roof and hood are "destroyed." Miraculously no glass damage on both. Told her to put in a claim ASAP as just about every vehicle in town was hit. I also put in a claim and am taking the truck in this morning. Using the same shop we took the Camry to as they did an excellent job, and they already have the paperwork and claim. Drop it off and it is all go for repair. Don't know when the Liberty's going in as she wanted to be more local, that and I have to try and find her a rental car. Luckily I have the Camry and GTI to tool around in. They were in the garage so no damage. Neighbors SUV got hit pretty good too. I'll try and get pics, but it's raining and doesn't show well. Only damage to the house was denting to the metal roof and a cracked window on the alcove. Other people in town suffered broken windows and torn up roofs.

My daughter lives in Colorado. Both their vehicles were totalled by hail. Their neighbor 's car was totalled. They bought another new one and in a month it was damaged again by hail.

After seeing what hail did to a friend's PU I make sure if I'm home my Jeeps are either in the garage or under the carport.

A couple of my brothers and my brother in law went to Spearfish SD yesterday. They had golf ball size hail and my BIL's 2020 Expedtion was outside of the
hotel area and got hailed on. They are out there riding motorcycles and razors. The two Razors were inside luckily. OP the hail in your picture looks big enough to put some dings on your Toyota. I hope it's ok.

I remember when I lived in Wichita, I had a friend on the west side where the hail was so bad bare boards were showing on the roof, windows were broken and the old asbestos cement shingle siding on the house was shattered. One stone hit the windshield pillar on his truck, they are extra strong to prevent roof collapse and bent it . The truck was totaled. Driveable but totaled. My friend was tall and his hair used to hit the headliner so he always wore a hat. After the hail he pressed on the headliner until we got a board and a jack to lever the roof up an inch. It was a very small area but such damage. Hail was supposed t be baseball size. No power for several days, we hauled his freezer to my apartment, full. That was a story..

On a MC ride last year, I took refuge in a car wash. Up the road a few miles the hail plugged the whistle along the highway, and water and stones were concentrated and flooding the surface. It was a pucker moment riding thru that very slowly. One car in ditch, do not know why.

Rod

I had hail damage a number of years ago on my 2008 Suburban. Calgary gets a lot of hail damage. A paintless dent repair outfit set up in Calgary ( these guys travel to where the storms hit.) I had 60 hail dents. They were on the hood and the roof. The insurance company paid them. Fast forward 8 years. I cannot see even a single dent. It's amazing.

These guys were SOS Debosselage out of Quebec. Working for them is like being in a travelling circus, but they were good. Come to think of it, Cirque du Soleil is also out of Quebec.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
My wife's sister lives in Fulton County and called her yesterday to tell her about this. What a mess.

Time for that hail proof convertible 'Vette and that Saturn L300 for Grandmother
smile.gif

Was there no room in the Garage?

I wouldn't show that picture to the adjuster.

If I had a garage, the Early 60's Buick Wildcat or Bonneville would be in there.

Not the "Throwaway" Our restoration shop is in the next Town over.

All vintage cars are safe inside.

Weld County Colorado is the hail capital of the usa from what i was told in my aviation weather and meteorology classes

I had a 1995 F350 that got hammered by a hailstorm that even damaged every roof in the area. Insurance paid out for everything and the body shops and dent removal shops were booked for months. Being a truck that I worked out of I kept pushing it off, waiting for time when I could get it in to get fixed. After a few weeks the majority of them worked themselves out in the sun i guess except for a few on the roof where they impacted where creases were. Never did end up getting it fixed.

i was stuck at grove city outlets (PA) yesterday in a crazy storm. Parking lot had over 2" of water in it.. and it was hailing.. and 40-50mph winds.

the water was hitting so hard it looked like I was out on a lake. I said.. wow I think there is a tornado starting over there. or at least a cloud with rotation..

10min later when storm was passing got the tornado warning alert on phone.

Many years ago my Sister was living in Texas. She bought a hail damaged Monte Carlo cheap. She drove that car for about ten years. It never did get repaired. She never worried about leaving it out either.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Was there no room in the Garage?

Unfortunately not; it was occupied by the GTI and Camry.

Truck is dropped off and in the hands of the bodyshop. Guy was surprised I wasn't getting the estimate first, just told him fix it and give me a call when it's done. Gotta be repaired, so I wasn't making multiple trips. Just about every panel got hit and the windshield will need to be replaced as well as it is chipped everywhere. Some parts will be PDR and others will be panel replacement or conventional repair. They're going to replace the hood all together as they said it's cheaper that way. The entire roof and pillars will have to be repaired and painted. They have a couple good painters there so I'm not worried about it matching or looking bad. Also going to have the PDR guy take the dent out of the passenger access cab door while it's there.

Stopped by the dealership in town and it's definitely bad. EVERY car on the lot is damaged. Up a little further by the medical center the hail was even bigger and cars had busted glass all throughout, so I guess I got somewhat lucky.

We had 2 bad hail storm here in TX where I live.
The first one was about ping pong size for about 20-30 minutes.
When I opened the garage door after it stopped, there were hail accumulation about 1 feet high on the concrete driveway.

10 days later, there was an area where the hail was at least baseball/tennis ball size.
That one went through the roof and ceiling of a lot of house, shattered the glass on houses and cave the roof on cars.

The new headlights were not damaged I take it? Sounds like the truck will be mint after these repairs.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
The new headlights were not damaged I take it? Sounds like the truck will be mint after these repairs.

That's about the only thing that wasn't pecked/dented. Every panel besides the tailgate had some dents. They were able to PDR most of the truck, but did replace the windshield and hood. The roof was repainted as when they did the PDR the old single stage paint cracked pretty good. I see this as somewhat of a win because it was severely faded and they went with a base coat/clear coat so I won't have to deal with the issue again. Picking it up sometime today, gonna be nice to have it back!

We got nailed last spring with a good one. People in town at my work and hers got some serious damage. Some moon roofs were even broke out.

It was 2 days before our wedding. We were both off for the setup and rehearsal on Friday. I had her park outside so the tractor and my Jeep were in the attached garage.

No damage or hail here whatsoever here but if she was working that night, she would have been on the road when it hit.

Last edited:
So with summer around the corner, the pop up thunderstorms are becoming more frequent. Trying to take a nap yesterday afternoon and start hearing loud bangs on the roof. We occasionally get pea sized hail, but this one turned into a doozy. Roughly ping-pong ball to golf ball sized started coming down with alot of the mix quarter sized. It's by far the biggest we've had in this area. These pictures don't show it well, but are the only ones that turned out.

Unfortunately it got the Tacoma and grandmothers Liberty. As you can see the tree protected some of the truck as only the hood and fenders are affected. The Jeep sustained substantial damage as she was in town and got the brunt of it. The entire roof and hood are "destroyed." Miraculously no glass damage on both. Told her to put in a claim ASAP as just about every vehicle in town was hit. I also put in a claim and am taking the truck in this morning. Using the same shop we took the Camry to as they did an excellent job, and they already have the paperwork and claim. Drop it off and it is all go for repair. Don't know when the Liberty's going in as she wanted to be more local, that and I have to try and find her a rental car. Luckily I have the Camry and GTI to tool around in. They were in the garage so no damage. Neighbors SUV got hit pretty good too. I'll try and get pics, but it's raining and doesn't show well. Only damage to the house was denting to the metal roof and a cracked window on the alcove. Other people in town suffered broken windows and torn up roofs.
My GF’s sister car got hammered by hail in Italy, and it was awful. It was a new vehicle and I didn’t think it would ever come out looking the same. Surprisingly, the body shop did a fantastic job.

Back