Appliance repair?

Anyone ever have a dishwasher repaired? I don't really want to go through the hassle of removing and installing a new dishwasher, unless the place you buy it from includes free installation or whatever. All mine does is makes a loud click like it also has right before it turns on, but obviously it doesn't turn on. All my outlets work in the kitchen, so I don't think it's a circuit breaker and as far as I know, a dishwasher only uses a regular 120v outlet.

Put a cup or two of vinegar in the unit so it gets into the pump. Let it sit overnight and give it a try in the morning. Works for mine. Ed

Check the drain hole inside the dishwasher and clean it.
Make sure there is no small spoon or something like that clogging the drain.
It happened to me once.

Then doing the vinegar treatment can help also.

Unless, the motor is dead.

Not just vinegar, but sometimes tsp is needed to help clean out some of the residues.

But you do need to start with the basics. Is it mechanical, or are there digital controls? You should verify if it's getting power, and water, and go from there. Might there be a motor with a thermal breaker? Maybe a solenoid that isn't working?

A dishwasher is about the easiest appliance to replace because it isn't that heavy or unwieldy. I like Bosch.

Originally Posted by Eddie
Put a cup or two of vinegar in the unit so it gets into the pump. Let it sit overnight and give it a try in the morning. Works for mine. Ed

You mean put it down the drain? Looks like the drain grate is pretty clogged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our dishwasher took a dump the other day, went to use it and all it did was click and then a ton of smoke came out from underneath, yanked the electrical cord thinking it was an electrical fire. Gonna leave it till we buy a new one.
crazy2.gif

I can't give you any kind of answer without knowing what brand and model dishwasher you have. Some have strainers or filers in the drain and others have food grinders. If you still have the manual, that's a good place to start. For me, I would never buy a dishwasher that didn't have a food grinder in the drain system. First, check for blockage of any moving parts inside the tub.

Last edited:
On replace.
The installation is DIY/easy IF the piping is the flexible hose with shutoff that typically runs from home piping to the dishwasher. Also the wiring is dead simple and requires 3 new wire nuts.

Typically 4 screws hold the old unit in and it slides out.

On repair:
YouTube, repairclinic.com . Google is your friend....

I have had a Bosch repaired under warranty although I got charged labor. I tried the local guy regretfully came twice and attempted to charge me twice. He was unhappy when I paid him 75% which was Bosch flat rate repair on labor. He took the check/deposited that said final payment in FULL in note.

If you are going to call a repair person, make sure you do it through the company that makes the product. A professional repair will probably cost around $300 depending on parts.

First, I would try one of these google results: https://www.google.com/search?q=dishwasher+makes+loud+click+noise

If that doesn't fix it, then I would buy a new one with professional installation. Plumbing or anything water related is not something you want to install yourself.

Originally Posted by Egg_Head
This group https://www.repairclinic.com/ has very good trouble shooting steps once you enter your model information plus they sell the repair parts, good luck.
Hope its something cheap and easy.

^^^ There is also Appliance Parts Pros they have a similar format, enter your make and model, then browse the parts for your appliance along with repair videos to help you change whatever part has malfunctioned. I have used them a few times, always OEM parts with great prices, fast shipping, videos are clear and straight forward. My experiences have been with dishwasher, washer, dryer parts. Best of luck

You're probably going to have to remove it to repair it and it's pretty easy to install a dishwasher.

Steps I had to do to fix mine:

1. Throw the breaker off and back on. It had to reset something inside. That was all it took to fix it the first time.

2. There is a filter inside the dishwasher that had to be cleaned. Had to clean that and then replace a check valve. Easy fix.

The new dishwashers aren't as good as the old ones due to some EPA regulations or something. I'd try to fix yours if it worked fine before it broke.

Look around online. I was going to buy two new ones, but after talking to people that had new ones, I fixed both of mine. Used information from the internet.

Good advise to check for clogged pump or filter. I used to service Champion commercial dish machines up to goliath hospital sized models. If you wrench on cars you can fix it yourself and parts are available. Troubleshooting is really locating issue. Is it Timer/ Contactor, Motor or tripped thermal safety or door switches. Test the motor by momentarily closing the motor contactor and see if it spins. If it does then it is timer/control. Look online for your model the answer can be found there.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
Originally Posted by Eddie

You mean put it down the drain? Looks like the drain grate is pretty clogged.

Well uh, I would unclog it then. From your description it sounds like a switch. The dishwashers I've had usually run the drain pump right at the start for a few seconds then start pumping water. If the drain is clogged then that might be tripping something.

2008 is not too old but the cost of the repair will determine whether you go ahead with fixing this one or getting another.

Back