Bought a truck finally, warning no Ford content

Its a 2003 Silverado 2500 (not a HD) with the 6.0L LQ4 V8 and 4L80E transmission. Has around 280k miles on it and I got it for $1,500 from a friend's tow yard. Has the 9.5" 14bolt rear which is disappointing, but I can deal with it. Both the front and rear bumpers are a bit derpy and need to be replaced. Interior is rough, already tossed the sub and amp that were draining the battery. Lots of little things like no battery hold down wedge doohickey, a broken tailgate handle, broken passenger key cylinder, and a passenger mirror hanging on for dear life. No rust underneath, just a leaking diff and probably a bad water pump. The coolant reservoir was empty and when I filled it there was a leak from the front of the engine. There was a new Gates water pump in the bed so I might as well put that on. Already ordered a bunch of little things to fix the truck.

IMG_5588.jpg

IMG_5952.jpg

IMG_5953.jpg

IMG_5955.jpg

IMG_5967.jpg

IMG_5969.jpg

IMG_5975.jpg

Originally Posted by dishdude
This is such an eljefino thread
lol.gif

Love it!

I've been wanting to get a truck for a long time. I had been looking at 6.0 Powerstrokes, guess I ended up with a different 6.0L haha. The truck is fun to drive but it does need some front end work. The Bilstein HD shocks showed up today actually.

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
Not a lot you can't fix rather easily. Looks good.

Yep. You can turn this into a nice truck without investing a lot of money.

+1

Welcome to the LSX club
thumbsup2.gif

Have owned several of these rigs in Suburban/Sierra/Silverado over the past 10 years
thumbsup2.gif

Here's my work truck, a "rare dog" a limited production '01 Silverado 1500HD LQ4 6.0/6L80E 4x4 crew cab I scored last summer in Dallas for $1700 cause i convinced wholesale dealer that the "engine and front diff" were no good LMAO
wink.gif

A new AC/DELCO serp belt belt tensioner and front hubs I was good to go hehe

Dave
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Reactions: JC1
Originally Posted by SteveG4

+1

Agree +2

Love those cat eye Chevy trucks! The 03-06 Chevy Silverado were some of the best years. Some trim and cosmetic issues on yours, but the bullit proof drivetrain will run til the cows come home.

I just picked up a 2004 Avalance Crew Cab that was owned by an older couple that had traveled from TX to Michigan and back a lot, and given it excellent maintence. For example they ran M1 at 3000 mile intervals its whole life. It will run forever.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
lol.gif

Love it!

I've been wanting to get a truck for a long time. I had been looking at 6.0 Powerstrokes, guess I ended up with a different 6.0L haha. The truck is fun to drive but it does need some front end work. The Bilstein HD shocks showed up today actually.

You work at a Ford dealership and you were looking at a 6.0L PS?
Wat?

Good looking truck. White is probably one of my favorite colors on GM's of this vintage. Fix the mirror and center console with some eBay parts and she's good.

Honestly didn't know they made a non HD 2500. Seems as backwards as the 1500 HD.

Originally Posted by Danno
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
lol.gif

Love it!

You work at a Ford dealership and you were looking at a 6.0L PS?
Wat?

Once a few bugs are ironed out, the 6.0 PS is pretty bullet proof. Just be prepared to work and spend money. Lol.

Great truck for the money. I love cleaning up and fixing those old maverick's that no-one wants. White is a great color to for touch ups. I would just paint the bumpers white unless they are rusted through. You should be able to get a replacement seat from a recycling yard fairly inexpensively. What kind of oil are you going to use? Just kidding.

There's a project … guy at work who has Cummins Ram and her a JGC Hemi … bought one similar and is building a DD … pulled the whole inside out and covered with DynaMat etc …
His intent is to keep the miles off the high priced toy hauler etc

Back