"Boutique" Brands

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge
Originally Posted by Since1941
What is everyone's thoughts on Royal Purple now? Since they are under new ownership, how do people feel. Locally the HPS 5w20 is 9.00 a quart. I can get they standard 5w20 for 7.00 from Napa by me.

I've used it in the past with no problems. Me personally I'd choose the HPS if I was to use it again.

Okay. It doesn't get love around here, it seems. Well, by doing a search the best I can with this goofy search function.

What is everyone's thoughts on Royal Purple now? Since they are under new ownership, how do people feel. Locally the HPS 5w20 is 9.00 a quart. I can get they standard 5w20 for 7.00 from Napa by me.

I've used it in the past with no problems. Me personally I'd choose the HPS if I was to use it again.

Okay. It doesn't get love around here, it seems. Well, by doing a search the best I can with this goofy search function.

Yeah, it is what it is. Some don't like it and never even used it for whatever reason. I'm actually using the Royal Purple's HMX 5w30 in the riding lawn mower as it's supposed to be a good oil for 4-stroke engines.

Originally Posted by kstanf150
Wait till I send my pic of Amsoil being poured into my engine on Friday

The crowd will go WILD !!!!...œ

Can you hold off a bit Tiger … pretty full up on wild crowds right now … 🎧

Last edited:

Yeah, it is what it is. Some don't like it and never even used it for whatever reason. I'm actually using the Royal Purple's HMX 5w30 in the riding lawn mower as it's supposed to be a good oil for 4-stroke engines.

Oh, awesome! I was thinking of trying it. I used it a long time ago when I lived in Hawaii, and when I pulled valve covers, the engine was immaculate. I was just using normal 5w30. I tend to not go with what everyone else is doing for whatever reason. However, I do like to hear people's opinions. I can't find much recent info or UOA on it.

Since1941 said:

Oh, awesome! I was thinking of trying it. I used it a long time ago when I lived in Hawaii, and when I pulled valve covers, the engine was immaculate. I was just using normal 5w30. I tend to not go with what everyone else is doing for whatever reason. However, I do like to hear people's opinions. I can't find much recent info or UOA on it.

https://pqia.org/?s=Royal+purple+

Scroll down and you'll see some info on the API Royal Purple

My trick to searching on this site is to actually go to google, type in my search and add "site:bobistheoilguy.com" to the end of the search. It will search this site with whatever else criteria you entered.

For example:

Royal Purple generic search

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR

There's nothing boutique about that. It's basically Valvoline Advanced with some purple dye in it and a higher price tag.

I know that but was posting for the other poster looking for more information.

Originally Posted by userfriendly
Is Tom NJ the bitog expert on aircraft lubricants, or am I thinking of someone else?

I don't consider myself an expert on anything, but I guess I am closest in that category.

There's nothing boutique about that. It's basically Valvoline Advanced with some purple dye in it and a higher price tag.

Do you feel the same about the HPS formula? How does that compare to M1 EP?

Tom NJ: I consider you, Buster, OVERKILL and Gokhan and many others experts as you all have taught me a ton

34.gif
10.gif

Do you feel the same about the HPS formula? How does that compare to M1 EP?

The HPS formula is basically the standard formula but with 50% more ZDDP. I would say it's better than Mobil 1 EP.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Tom NJ: I consider you, Buster, OVERKILL and Gokhan and many others experts as you all have taught me a ton

34.gif
10.gif

I'm surprised you didn't include 777 in your list
28.gif

Originally Posted by 53' Stude

34.gif
10.gif

Lots of very knowledgeable people here, which is why I hung around for the past 14 years.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by kstanf150
Wait till I send my pic of Amsoil being poured into my engine on Friday

The crowd will go WILD !!!!...œ

Can you hold off a bit Tiger … pretty full up on wild crowds right now … 🎧

Wish I could play a video of
Queen

We Are The Champions

As I pour !!!!!
...³...³ðŸ¤£ðŸ¤£ðŸ¤£ðŸ¤£ðŸ¤£ðŸ¤£

That would be funny as hail !!!!!

Originally Posted by 4WD
Sounds like we should expect an action video 📽 👀

I wish !!!ðŸ‘

The amount of unbridled imaginative enthusiasm that apparently surrounds certain brands is just amazing.

I guess that's what they want you to have, right? Keep the mystique alive.

Yep.... An engine oil with a cult like following. How does one achieve such fame?

There is a light truck tire, the Toyo M55, somewhat obsolete compared to their newest offerings that forestry workers must have.
Show up with something else, and you're not in the exclusive club.

My Club currently is Pennzoil. But that may change when SP / GF6 specs are revealed in UOAs later this year.
But I misplaced my photo with Arnold Palmer on my farm tractor. Wait, I'll look under the bed. Let me move some yellow oil jugs from under there.

Back